Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I'm new to motorcycles and am interested in purchasing a ducati monster.

I was curious, if anyone knew what month the new models would be out, and also how much of a discount I might expect on a monster 696 if I purchased the previous model year.

Thanks!

Nathan

·
Registered
156 Posts
I am not new to motorcycles but I am a 1st time Ducati owner as I just recently took delivery of a brand new '09 M1100S. I do not care to divulge numbers but my dealer offered a very fair discount up front and I also ordered carbon slip on Termis, helmet, jacket, bike cover and touring seat and was offered a very fair discount on the accessories.

Based on my experience, since there is virtually no difference between the 09 and 10 models, the price savings for the 09 is worth it. Then if you decide to treat yourself to some extra goodies, you got a few extra dead presidents to spend.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Just keep in mind that the 696 is their best selling bike and the 1100 monster isn't selling all that well. When I was talking to my dealer, he said that they are dealing on the 1100. It's also why Ducati is giving you a set of skins with the 1100 and not the 696.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Great point TonyDiv. I guess I was a little to focused on the M1100S since that is what I purchased.

Nice to see new members (myself also a new member) using this board in a proper way and offering up advice, opinions or questions that actually mean something. I have been noticing a couple of new members posting some very nonsensical BS on some pages that have nothing to do with the post or bikes in general. Unfortunate that some people are possessed to behave like morons but that is one of the drawbacks to social networking.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I guess I kind of forgot to answer the other part of the question. I picked up my 696 about 2 weeks ago. When it was all said and done, between the discount on installing the 14 tooth sprocket, the discount on dealer prep and the money off of the msrp, I probably saved around $300 to $350 total. Of course the dealer didn't have any '09s on the floor, so if you find a leftover, you may be able to work a better deal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank You everyone for you feedback.

I had no idea the 696 was their #1 selling model, but it makes sense.

So,.. it sounds like the 2010s are the ones currently being sold, and the 2009s are pretty scarce to find new...

When will the 2011s be out? I'm trying to figure out what month I should try to start looking out for deals on 2010s.

I thought it might be late summer when the new models came out but I wasn't sure. I spent like 30 minutes on google and couldn't figure it out.

Hell I'd almost be willing to head to the dealer when there is snow on the ground to try to wrangle up a scoop of a deal.

I'm trying to research everything imaginable before I go out and buy one.

I'm wanting to get a set of leather skins along with the purchase. I really like color however (instead of plain old black). Hell I'd even go with a yellow set of skins like in KILLBILL. I was at one of the local ... non-ducati dealers and they had some neon yellow textile jackets that looked really ugly. So far I like what i'm seeing on Vanson's website with the Blue, Red, Yellow and so on colors available in leather.

Thank You!!

-Nathan

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Are you really willing to wait that long just to save an extra $200 or $300? They really aren't going to knock off tons of money on a 696, there just isn't all that much room.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I agree. You are not going to be able to dicker much on a Ducati, of any model. As TonyDiv pointed out, there are some specials on the M1100 but for the most part, you may get a little off, but not much on the 696.

There is a post somewhere on this board that I have read before with a title something like "how much are you paying" so you might want to search for that.

If you are bargain shopping, maybe a Ducati is not for you. While these bikes are not outrageously expensive, they are more than the average mass produced Japanese bike due to somewhat low production numbers.

It is ridin' season man, cough up the bucks and get your Ducati now. Is saving a couple hundred worth losing a couple months riding time? Once you ride a Monster, you will kick yourself in the butt for not doin' it sooner.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I think you may have hit on something there regarding the "bargain" aspect.
These bikes cost way more to maintain than their Japanese counterparts and the accessories are also more expensive. So if you're the penny pinching type, it's probably better to head to the Suzuki dealership.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unfortunately i'm probably going to have to buy two of them, which means i'm going to have to wait some before I can make a purchase.

My wife already cleared me to get one, but there were three constraints ... #1 we went on a vacation first, #2 there was a purple one in the drive way (that was hers first/same time),.. #3 i pay cash.

So i don't expect to be out on the highway for abit of time mainly due to having to locate enough cash for a vacation, and two Ducati....., but trust me I'm saving cash like there is no tomorrow to get out there. Hence trying to figure out if there was a particular month that would be cheaper to buy 'em.

As for brands, i'm pretty much dead set on a ducati 696 or 796, and if i means i have to wait, i'll wait and get the bike I want instead of settle for a pos.

Thanks!

-Nathan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts