Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saying hi and getting more involved with other local Ducs. I'm living in Manhattan and just had my first (actually, second...but, first with this bike) "I hate having a vehicle in Manhattan." I have had the bike in the city for about 3 months and had just gotten back from a 500 mile ride that (besides for the weather) went off without a hitch. I came downstairs the next morning to notice the mirror messed up on my bike...

...then I saw the busted turn signal, the dent in the tank, and the broken left footpeg/exhaust hanger support piece. Oh, and no note or comp insurance. Yay.

Coupling this recent kick in the motorcycle clusters with the frustrating oil drain plug Allen head strip out, that is a double PITA since I don't have much in the way of tools or a place to work on it, and you have me questioning whether it is worth having a bike when living in the city.

But, I digress with this little vent. I just wanted to say hello and see how many other city Ducs there might be out there and what tricks of the trade (riding spots, parking spots, shops, etc.) you might be able to share are and see if, one of these days, I can meet a few of you.

Hope everyone has had a great summer and some great rides. Looking forward to talking with you.

B

·
Registered
58 Posts
Live in the city too but bike is parked in a garage. Was out riding on Friday and after grabbing dinner I saw that my bar end mirrors weren't in their usual position and my bar end sliders were crooked. SUV I was parked behind had bumped into me while pulling out and my bike leaned into my brother's bike which was parked next to mine. Bike didn't fall over because of my brother's bike was there to support mine (minor scratch on his frame though). If my brother's bike wasn't there next to mine it would have definitely tipped over. Gotta say it was my fault for choosing that spot. Learned my lesson this time and got lucky it wasn't any worse.

I normally will park in front of a car where there is a hydrant, putting my bike between the car and hydrant with about 3-4 ft of space between the bike and the car leaving plenty of room between the bike and the hydrant. Being in front of the car is best as the drivers can see the bike. Park behind and you're at mercy of the type of car (SUV's can't see some bikes due to their height and rear windshield).

Anyways hope we can get out and ride some time.

http://www.motorcycleroads.us/ has some nice riding routs to pick from.

-A

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is an awesome website I had never seen before. Thanks for posting that up.

It looks like they finally opened that new Duc dealership down on Spring and 6th Avenue, if you need anything from there.

My bike is still on the disabled list from getting knocked over, so I'm not totally comfortable with taking it out of the city. Hopefully I'll have it back in fighting shape soon and we can put together a nice little ride outta the city.

Until then, take care.

B

·
Registered
11 Posts
Fyi,

I spoke to 6 different parking/traffic 'cops' in Chelsea/ Tribeca/ Soho..
they all basically said 'I personally do not issue summons to bikes without paid meter tickets'

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. However, dealing with stuff like that is just the cost we all have to pay for living in the city. Every time I get a ticket, find my Ducati tipped over or endure yet another I-am-boss, power-hungry NYPD cowboy`s lecture I think of all of those miserable souls who brave the subway tunnels every day. My lungs fill with pride and joy for being independent and I can`t help chuckling.

Fellow New Yorkers, get good insurance for your bikes. You will be surprised how affordable a good insurance is (extensive shopping around is required). I have full coverage on my 2009 Ducati Monster 696 from Geico with a $50 deductible for $480 per year. The same plan from 21 Century with a $100 deductible runs for about $278 a year (yes, my passengers are covered too).

Living in NYC is great. Don`t allow petty things to spoil your fun. Do you really want to use that subway? Yeah, I didn`t think so...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey guys, I live in Long Island City and park my bike right in the uncovered parking garage. I've had a few issues with the bike including an SUV tip over that broke my clutch lever. I've had a particularly nasty police towing nightmare where they took my spotless pristine 900 Supersport and laid it on it's side as they towed it scratching the hell out of it. Well, it's no more pristine, but I still enjoy the hell out of her. I have also found some interesting rides around the area that isn't just Bear Mountain. It's getting a bit colder now, so how many of you are going to try and brave the winter months? I'm giving it a shot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts