Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from Forsyth, IL.

I've been away from bikes for a few years and now in my middle-age want to get a Monster to get me back in the game.

Trying to decide between a few-year-old Monster and a new 796 or 1100.

Hope to get something before summer disappears!

Nikos

·
Registered
156 Posts
I to am in my middle age and like you, had been off bikes for a few years until just recently when I took delivery of a brand new '09 M1100S. I do have over 30 years of racing (MX, cross country, hare scrambles)) plus thousands of road miles riding experience. I knew I wanted a very capable motorcycle, not a touring rig or a sportbike. The 796 had not been released when I put my money down on the 1100S so the decision was easy. Plus, I did not want to wait for the 796 to arrive. No matter, the 1100S is the best bike I personally have ever ridden or owned....period.

In lieu of a used bike, you might want to consider a new '09. While there are not "bargains" available as with some of the Japanese models, there are some deals to be had......just remember, you are buying a Ducati.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks SJS - I like the way you put it "I wanted a very capable motorcycle, not a touring rig or a sportbike". That's what I'm looking for.

I test rode a 695 yesterday and liked it, but was a little underwhelmed. I'm off to the Ducati dealer (which is unfortunately 50 miles away) this weekend and will give the larger capacity newer shape Monsters a whirl. Good idea on specials on the '09 models.

·
Registered
156 Posts
My 2009 1100S is arriving tomorrow. :):):)
:cool::cool:CONGRATULATIONS!:cool::cool:

I hope you love your M1100S as much as I do mine.

I have been pushing mine just a little harder as I have been getting used to the bike and I am even happier with the bike now than I was a couple of weeks ago. This is an absolutely outstanding real world motorcycle.

You are going to find that riding real roads with real cars, real sand, real gravel and in my area, the occasional wildlife that you do not need a 150hp fully faired, bent over the handlebars full on sportbike. Gonna get comments on that I bet! With the Monster, you've got gobs of torque right now when you need it that will keep you with or maybe even ahead of most sportbikes in the twisties. You have purchased an outstanding handling (can't beat Ohlins) and braking (and Brembo's) motorcycle that looks absolutely killer. Lack of fairing means you lose out to the sportbikes on the 100+ speeds. I don't know about you but I can't afford those kind of tickets. Save that kind of stuff for the occasional track day. I know I am.

Way freakin' cool NikosF! You own a Ducati!

Trust me on this, people are gonna drool over this bike. The looks mine has gotten makes me think I need to get a bigger helmet!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey NikosF-Been waiting for the first impressions of your new M1100S.
I'm really bummed. I haven't had a chance to ride it! I took it out for a quick 30 mile spin the day I got it, and then had to fly to Europe last week, and then a wedding out of town this weekend, and it was pouring rain when I got back yesterday afternoon.

For the limited time I had it, I was really impressed. The most interesting thing is how much it feels like a small bike despite being an 1100. Other small observations - I need to figure out how to adjust the front forks. With the bumpy roads here it gets a little unsettled on a bumpy road; and (possibly given the amount of low torque) it's hard to hold a neutral throttle through a corner.

It had the db killers out the Termis when I got it. Lovely sound, but a little too loud for me, so I stuck those back in - and now it's too quiet!

Other than that, very happy with my purchase. Now just looking forward to riding it!

·
Registered
156 Posts
That hurts! Brand new toy to play with and all you get to do is think about it. Hopefully your schedule will now allow for some quality riding time.

I have similar observations regarding the suspension. I am 175 - 180 lbs. and I think the suspension is a bit to stiff causing some of the unsettling feeling as you put it. We also have some rather bumpy roads here in Northern Mi. due to the somewhat harsh winters. I only have about 400 miles on my bike thus far and I am going to wait a bit longer until I start messing with the suspension. My thought is that some of the stiffness is attributable to newness. I want to get more familiar with the bike and push it a bit harder yet before I start adjusting. For me personally, I do not feel that 400 miles is enough to make a well educated decision. I raced MX for years and spent hours fine tuning settings and if one is not careful to record the original settings, a person can spend a lot of wasted time making it right again. Then again, we bought the "S" so we had the option to mess with the settings!

By the way, I run my Termi's without the db killers and love it. Here is a link regarding the Termi "sound" that may be of interest to you. I took the opportunity to put in my 2 cents worth a couple of times on this thread.

http://www.ducatimonster.org/forums...t-sound-termi-baffles-regular-race-termi.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts