Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Forum, I picked up the bike in good condition at a great price, however the idle is poor and wants to quit at stops, other wise seems to rip along in the higher revs just fine. Hopefully I can get the latest thinking on this seemingly common issue.

Sean

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello, that could be caused by the lack of air for the amount of fuel at idle.

The throttle bodies have an adjustment screw that regulates the amount of air going through a bypass air passage when the throttle is fully closed (idle). You might need to let some more air through i.e. turn the screw further out. First measure the current setting by closing and counting the fractional number of turns until the screw lightly sets (say 1 1/4). The open back the screw say 2 turns and see how it behaves. You have two throttle bodies so check them independently.

Your throttle bodies might also be out of sync and need to be balanced.

·
Registered
248 Posts
throttle bodies, could be.. I would start a lot more simple.
battery connection, :) okay that was me and on my triumph last night but still could be

check your timing belts first. when you are at highway speed loose belts go unnoticed as they are spinning freely. at lower speeds is where you will feel belts do their thing or not as the case may be.
dirt anywhere in the fuel in the system, how crappy is the local gas

the aircooled monsters are basically bullet proof and i bet you a box of. donuts its the belts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
throttle bodies, could be.. I would start a lot more simple.
battery connection, :) okay that was me and on my triumph last night but still could be

check your timing belts first. when you are at highway speed loose belts go unnoticed as they are spinning freely. at lower speeds is where you will feel belts do their thing or not as the case may be.
dirt anywhere in the fuel in the system, how crappy is the local gas

the aircooled monsters are basically bullet proof and i bet you a box of. donuts its the belts

Battery connection is good good good. new belts on order. hard to say @ gas around here, there is ethenol free available at one place...

·
Registered
406 Posts
These bikes are getting old too so now the rubber is aging. Check your vacuum lines to the throttle bodies and the tightness of the rubber elbows between engine and throttle bodies and the ones between throttle bodies and airbox. This is of course on top of the above mentioned things.

Reactions: 3dig71
1 - 6 of 6 Posts