Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I scored a great deal and got a new 09 M1100S on the way (from 2k miles away). I need to lurk around here and soak up some knowledge on the 1100 and maybe ask a few questions.

I'm not new to Monsters as I still have my M900 that I bought new in 1994. Except for the first service, I have done all the service work on the M900. I also have a few other non-Ducati bikes in the stable. I guess that I'm a certified motorcycle nut!

For warranty reasons, I intend to take the M1100 to the dealer (~150 miles away) for the first (750 mile) service and maybe the 7,500 (if necessary).

I bought the bike yesterday and it should be delivered in about 2-1/2 weeks. I can already tell, the waiting is gonna be a challenge!!

Best to all,
Dave
(AKA/Old Monster Guy)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Welcome Dave "Old Monster Guy" and congratulations on your M1100S.

I also own an M1100S that I purchased new this year. Don't know if I am in the "old" ranks or not but I started riding at age 9 (now 51) and this is my 1st Ducati. Of the over 25 bikes I have owned, the M1100S is by far and away the best bike I have ever had. Hands down, no question!

I had my dealer install the carbon slip on Termi's, ECU and filter at time of delivery and love the looks and especially the sound. It makes the Monster really sound the way it is supposed to. A side benefit to the carbons is if you do any occasional 2 up riding, externally they are much cooler than the stockers and thus, a lot more comfortable for your passenger.

If you are an "old" guy like me, you really might want to consider the DP comfort seat. It really saves your jewels, especially under hard braking. I am not a wimp by any means, I raced MX and enduros for 25 years, I just don't feel like having sore nads any more. I had enough of that on dirt bikes!

I am sure you will enjoy your new ride. Congrats.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome Dave "Old Monster Guy" and congratulations on your M1100S.

I also own an M1100S that I purchased new this year. Don't know if I am in the "old" ranks or not but I started riding at age 9 (now 51) and this is my 1st Ducati. Of the over 25 bikes I have owned, the M1100S is by far and away the best bike I have ever had. Hands down, no question!

I had my dealer install the carbon slip on Termi's, ECU and filter at time of delivery and love the looks and especially the sound. It makes the Monster really sound the way it is supposed to. A side benefit to the carbons is if you do any occasional 2 up riding, externally they are much cooler than the stockers and thus, a lot more comfortable for your passenger.

If you are an "old" guy like me, you really might want to consider the DP comfort seat. It really saves your jewels, especially under hard braking. I am not a wimp by any means, I raced MX and enduros for 25 years, I just don't feel like having sore nads any more. I had enough of that on dirt bikes!

I am sure you will enjoy your new ride. Congrats.
I got you by a dozen (or so) years. That's physically. Mentally, I'd say I'm in my late 30's or early 40's.

Been riding since I was 8 or 9. Started on smaller scooters/"doodlebugs" and rode my 1st real motorcycle when I was about 13 or 14; a Triumph Bonneville. I decided right then and there that I someday would have to get one of those! And so about 8 years later after finishing college and getting a job, I bought my first real MC; a slightly used 1970 Bonneville. Great bike. Had a lot of fun on that one. And 20 (or so) bikes later, here I am.....

The M11 I'm getting has the Termi slip-on kit installed. I knew when I started looking at/for M11s a couple of months ago, for reasons of looks and sound, I decided that if I ended up buying an M11, that setup was going to be mandatory.

Not sure what (if anything) I'll be doing about the seat yet. Will have to try out the stocker and see how it goes. Who makes the DP seat? I've got a Corbin on my M900 and like it. I've had 4 or 5 Corbins and have pretty good luck with them....and the one for the M11 looks (to me) good on the bike.

·
Registered
156 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The DP is just short for Ducati Performance aftermarket products.

Here is a link to an independent review.
http://www.ultimatemotorcycling.com/2009_Ducati_Monster_Comfort_Touring_Seat
Thx for the heads-up on the seat and the link to the Ultimate site.

Does the Comfort Seat raise you up & increase (over the stocker) the leg reach to the ground at all? My inseam is on the short side...

That Ducati Tail Bag setup also looks like it would be worth serious consideration. Kinda spendy though...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Thx for the heads-up on the seat and the link to the Ultimate site.

Does the Comfort Seat raise you up & increase (over the stocker) the leg reach to the ground at all? My inseam is on the short side...

That Ducati Tail Bag setup also looks like it would be worth serious consideration. Kinda spendy though...
Yes, it does raise you up slightly. I am 5'10" with a 32" inseam and have no problem with leg reach. My concern when I got the seat was whether I would have to reach downward more for the bars. For me, leg reach and arm reach is fine and I am happy with the seat.

Yeah, the Tail Bag is a bit spendy. Isn't everything if it has the Ducati logo on it? I won't complain too much however because I have made the concious choice that any accessories I had to my bike will be Ducati products. Nothing wrong with any of the other brands of aftermarket items, and there are some very good products out there. My bike, my choice to go with the Ducati products. Your bike, your choice. That's what makes it fun.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My bike, my choice to go with the Ducati products. Your bike, your choice. That's what makes it fun.
I couldn't agree more.

Myself, I look at several (if available) options for a given application and choose the one that I think is best, giving function a slightly higher priority than form.

Thx for the reply and info on the seat height differences you noticed...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts