Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anybody ever installed headphones in their helmet? i heard this is an aftermarket thing but i have never seen anything on the net. do people wear ear buds? that would seem pretty uncomfortable. just curious

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
I've tried ear buds( many moons ago) They always fell out.I think that is illegal in some states?? Now that I'm a "veteran" rider I'd rather listen to the engine purring or the pipes growling. They tend to drown out traffic noise, which can be a bad thing. I think it's safer if you can hear your bike and whats going on with the traffic arond you.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
I'm with DUCnHAR, Desmodromic V2 and CF high pipes is the music I like to hear

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
HJC has the helmet intercom that attaches to the helmet....

the earphone pieces can be shoved in the space in the helmet where your ears go. you can plug in a cellphone, cd player, mp3 player, etc into the intercom as well.

if you have an HJC helmet, the space for the ears are large enough to accomodate the HJC earpieces without squishing your ears. I had the HJC intercom (aka Chatterbox) in my Arai and my ears were always sore after riding. I got an HJC helmet and switched the intercom unit - no problems with sore ears using that configuration

P

·
0 Posts
After some around the table conversion with some other motorcyclists, those that have headsets and 2 way communicators really like them for long group rides. Makes things a little easier for stops, notifying the other riders about cows in the road in the twisties (open range!), etc.

A company called Motocomm makes a headset that works with an FRS radio. If you already have a FRS radio this is a fairly cheap route. The few reviews that I have seen on the headsets were positive. I just ordered a set yesterday. I will post my impressions in a few weeks.

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
I've used earbuds....they are ok for awhile, but then start to hurt.
i have also used the input on the HJC-90 chatterboxes.
those never turned up loud enough to hear.

Im going to be getting some of the new chatterboxes, X1 or X2...i'll report back how it works when i try them.
I also got one of these that should be great for tunes on the bike (i dont know if i'll use it on the street, prob just on trail riding)
http://www.nomadworld.com/products/muvo/

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
If I were riding a Goldwing across the country, I might want to listen to music, but most of the time when I'm riding the Monster, it would just be a distraction.

Here are the first three items on my list of things you won't find on a serious motorcycle:
1. A sound system.
2. A backrest
3. A cruise control

[Just my opinion] 8)

N

·
0 Posts
I had the top of the line Chatter Box (I forget the model but it was the ones with a 5 mile range) and was less than pleased with the performance. They were good below 45mph but above that they were worthless. I never hooked up a cell phone or MP3/CD player to it for fear of distraction but i'm sure if you were riding below 45 ::) it would work well. :)

S

·
0 Posts
I used a chatterbox X2 on part of my Laguna trip last year. Listened to some MP3's when i rode back solo to meet my wife in SLO. Sounded fine. The headphones went inside my arai liner and I were perfectly comfortable.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
I just invested in an Autocom Pro M1 system. Allows for rider-to-passenger communication, cell phone, audio input (with auto-volume-decrease), as well as bike-to-bike communications with optional FRS radio. Speakers/boom microphone fit inside helmet easily and stay put. Works up to 150 mph apparently, although I've only tested it up to about half that. Makes a big difference for going two-up with the wife, and think it would be very cool for group rides, especially when the groups gets split up.

Mark

P

·
0 Posts
I just ordered some Moto Comm headsets that work with many FRS radios. It is a PTT (push to talk) system. The headsets were around 55 bucks and I already have a few FRS radios so it is a cheaper alternative than the Chatterbox.

I'll give a review once I've tested them on the road.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
just got a bluetooth headseat for the mobile... (not that i'd be able to use it efficiently while riding) - besides, wouldn't want to be disturbed while enjoying a ride. i'd been having reception problems in the office (works fine in the parking lot) - so i'm trying the bluetooth to see if i can leave the mobile in the car and use the headset to pick up the calls.

·
Registered
346 Posts

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
how is the sound quality on the Autocomm at 65 - 70? i had a chatterbox and all i got was wind noise in the microphone that drowned out my voice at speeds above 70

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
For some strange reason I tried riding with earplugs about a week or so ago. I do not know why, but all of a sudden I got this paranoid idea that the noise of traffic is making me go deaf and I should wear ear plugs. Anyway, I tried riding with earplugs and my conclusion Never again!!!!
<snip>(
I use earplugs on trips >30 minutes or so, and find they reduce fatigue a lot (not to mention save your hearing when you become a geezer like me). You might want to try different types of earplugs as the dB rating varies. My favorites are silicone earmolds that I got at the SBK races at Laguna last year. They cut out a lot of noise, but I can still hear the bike and traffic (much attenuated).

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Michael the ones you have look alot like the ones i have except mine are green/orange. they are attenuate the sound by 30 dB

·
Registered
53 Posts
http://www.alfenterprises.com/rf_limited_ch550.htm

The above link is where you should be able to buy the Motocomm headset. FRS sucks, you need to buy from Midland the 75-820 or 75-822 model handheld CB. Much better range. The 822 model comes with an attachment for power and antenna, so if you don't mind putting an antenna on the bike, it works even better. Thats what I have and I recommend it.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
where'd you stick the antenna on the bike? is it hidden behind the side-covers or is it on the back (deja vu on the CHiPs show!)

·
Registered
53 Posts
That picture is before the antenna, so the antenna bracket is bolted to the underside of the tail, becuase I did NOT cut mine off, there is a flat piece of metal there. So it basically sticks up from the back.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts