Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the headlight off recently to put on some clipons- quite liked the look of the bike without the big salad bowl up the front. Does anyone know if there are smaller headlights that can be fitted up to the Monsters?

On a related point, there's far too many wires in these bikes; it's hard to believe that the wiring harness was designed, and not just attached as the various bits went in. Would love to clean it up, but that's job that might take months.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Geoff, there is a few US guys fitting the Suzuki Sv650 headlight with some great results as its cheap and puts out better light that the Monster OEM unit. I've had duals, OEM and a few other arangements but the current lack-of-lights look does it for me best.
In the main section do a search for headlights, you will find MANY.

When I did my rebuild I hacked miles of cabling of the old harness and still had too much! - Chris

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How long did take for you to clean up your wiring harness? I'd like to see the result, which I expect is clean frame tubes, and not wires every where.

Perhaps I can try an incremental approach - clean up bit's and pieces as I work on that area of the bike.

Thanks for the suggestion on headlights.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
GeoffB said:
How long did take for you to clean up your wiring harness? I'd like to see the result, which I expect is clean frame tubes, and not wires every where.

Perhaps I can try an incremental approach - clean up bit's and pieces as I work on that area of the bike.

Thanks for the suggestion on headlights.
As Iain had linked for you, the look is great, but quite time consuming. Here is a general run down of how I did it during the rebuild. Keep in mind what parts of the frame you can see and what you cant...

a) Remove air box to allow more room. This step helped alot as it allowed so much room to work with.
b) Cut off all cable ties on frame and have wiring loom loose over frame.
c) Drill holes on remainder plastics and use cable ties to tie up to, but allways remember what part
d) Try to move cables so they are side by side and use minimal ties, black ties blend in best.
e) Were there is too much cable, simple cut to legth, re solder and heat shrink in black. (This is optional as a reliable bike needs good electrics.)
f) Use the inner tubes of the frame to tie to were you need to tie to a frame.
g) Were there is multiple cables you can tie together and they will support one another. Hence again you don't need to tie to the frame.

H) BE PATIENT! its supposed to take time. [thumbsup]

- Chris

·
Registered
474 Posts
I've also read a bit about the sv650 headlight.

but when i looked one up on ebay, its exactly the same looking thing.
it might be functionally better, but its the same ugly headlight thats on there at the moment [cheeky]

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DucatiDual (www.ducatidual.com offers the ones below, which is almost what I had in mind.

Problem is, as soon as I showed the photos to some guys at work, two of them immediately piped up "Johnny-Five is alive!".

I had no idea what they were talking about, but its the "Short Circuit" movie, with the robot Jonny-Five. I've got to admit, there is a resemblence. It's the halo, or angel-eyes that does it. I was thinking more of a retro looking light housing, not a BMW inspired angel-eye.

I'll have to think about this one a bit more.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I had that exact duals setup on my bike too. It worked OK, but didn't do all that much for me in the end.
The SV650 (late model 2005 to 2007) is clear glass and is about 1inch smaller in diameter than the Ducati OEM unit. There is also plenty of other lighting available. Look around next time your in a bike yard and look at what jap cruisers are around. Most will fit with a little work. Let your imagination run free mahn!!! ;D - Chris

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Syd-Monster said:
Look around next time your in a bike yard and look at what jap cruisers are around. Most will fit with a little work. Let your imagination run free mahn!!! ;D - Chris
That's a good suggestion. That way I more likely to have something unique and distinctive. The bike is a canvas.

·
Registered
474 Posts
found this on another thread......

Attachments

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Joe. Looks pretty cool. Any idea what lights they are? (edit: found it - speed triples)

Also, any idea what that black box down by the alternator cover is?

·
Registered
474 Posts
GeoffB said:
flight recorder box?
ejector seat sub-board?
cd player?
mini bar?

as you can tell, i have no idea.......

G

·
GeoffB said:
Thanks Joe. Looks pretty cool. Any idea what lights they are? (edit: found it - speed triples)

I believe its something to do with US laws and emmissions.

The tour guide at the factory said that the US has lots and lots of differences that ducati had to comply with, so much in fact that they have to do a US run seperate from every other country..

emissions gear, reflectors etc etc etc

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
GeoffB said:
That's a good suggestion. That way I more likely to have something unique and distinctive. The bike is a canvas.
Geoff, i think with a little work, the headlight on this Yamaha would be an awesome looking ligth that still holds some the Monster resemblance but moves it forward and challanges the look of the bike...

http://www.yamaha-motor.com.au/motor/index.htm?model_cat.asp?modelcatid=2

What do you think... its ceratinly different and would put out much better light than any Monster unit. - Chris

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think this one is going to take a while. Thanks for all the suggestions - what I have decided is to look around for something distinctive (but subtle, just a headlight - no streetfighter demon mask lights!), and fit it up myself (if need be). It'll be more fun that way.

Keep the suggestions coming tho - I can use the ideas, and others might also.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts