Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have the 'xenon' h4 headlight bulbs for their monster? I sort of like the idea of making the headlight brighter, but I think the bluish color might look funny; sort of going against the whole 'classic' styling of the monster headlight.

L

·
0 Posts
I have been using different headlights in my bikes for years...I have found that the Sylvania SilverStar is probably one of the best lights out there next to PIAA. The biggest difference is that the Silverstar is about 1/3 the price of PIAA and its also street legal unlike so many other knock-off's out there. Just make sure whatever you put in there is STOCK power because most of the high output bulbs produce extra heat that will melt a harness. I killed my entire system in 2001 by putting a dual aftermarket setup in my YZF600R. It took about a week before the entire electrical system failed. I went from stock voltage of 55w per bulb to 90w per bulb. Bad move ::)

Whoops.....

I have been running the SilverStars in everything that has a light since they have been introduced. Love Em

http://www.sylvania.com/auto/silverstar.htm

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I would also vouch for the sylvania superstars. I have seen them on friend's bikes and cars and they do increase light output significantly.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
So which Silverstar is the correct one for a Monster?

·
Registered
287 Posts
So which Silverstar is the correct one for a Monster?
I believe the "H4 ST" is the one you want...

J

·
0 Posts
I put the H4 PIAA bulb in my S4, I wouldnt really call it Xenon blue, kinda half and half between stock and Xenon, but it is brighter than stock!
JJ

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
naw... I bought some silverstarts for my girlfriends car. They are a little brighter, but not nearly as good as the average ebay no-name brand company (that costs $10 max).

and I have heard nothing really good about PIAA...

L

·
0 Posts
Keep using those and watch what happens to your electrical system...all I can say is "Good Luck" ::)

As for the Silverstar bulbs they are about $25 a bulb and the best thing is that they are LEGAL which means no hassles and you can actually use the light that is produced. A lot of those "blue" bulbs out there produce a light that actually decreases your vision.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
naw... I bought some silverstarts for my girlfriends car. They are a little brighter, but not nearly as good as the average ebay no-name brand company (that costs $10 max).

and I have heard nothing really good about PIAA...
NOTHING GOOD ABOUT PIAA!!!!!!!!! ARGH!!!!! I've been using PIAA foglights in my cars for years, and you can't do any better. Plus they're street legal, ebay no-name lights are almost never legal, plus they put an extra strain on your electrical system. Ever wonder why they're cheap... it's cause they're CHEAP!

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Don't waste your money on a replacement bulb if what you're really after is truely better lighting. I did this for te past couple years trying different bulbs that claim to give better light output without going to a rediculously higher wattage. I realized last night that it was all just a waste of time & money after taking my first ride with the HID conversion.

WOW!!! :eek: Whether you want more light or just want to look cool, go with the HID conversion because you're going to get both! It's amazing how much better it lights up the road... I always hated that the light was never strong enough to light up the area just in front of you as well as the road ahead; nevermind to the left or right. Now that the HID is in I can easily see the road directly in front of the bike just as well as 50-60 yards in front of me. The spread of light is good that it even lights up the area to the left and right of you too. No more struggling to see what's ahead in a dark turn.

Suck it up and pay the $85 for the 6000K HID high/low kit with the slim ballast for easy mounting. You won't regret it! In case you didn't see the post recently just do a search for HID and it should pop up.

·
Registered
224 Posts
^^^HID [thumbsup]

i have a HID low beam w/halogen high beam setup and the difference between the two is laughable.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I wanted HID but I decided to try some halogen bulbs and they turned out to be perfect (for me). I have an H4 PIAA "GTX Super Plasma". The cool thing about this bulb is that the low beam is "purple" and the high beam is super white so whe you go between high/low it really gets attention but the purple is VERY subtle/classy. Actually I would cosider it a super white light...you won't be mad.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Any pictures of the HID's on the Monsters? How about light output on the road? Where did you get the HID kit?

·
Registered
113 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts