Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now... I come back from my hols, take my bike out and something doesn't 'feel' completely right about the ol' headlight of my M900 Dark. High beam is fine, clearly visible on road etc (Nice and bright). Low beam however seems particularly dull - doesn't seem to light road whilst riding or even when parked facing a wall (literally right in front) - obviously light is on (I'm not that dense) so oncoming vehicals CAN see me but it just seems like it's glowing at 20% of it's usual.

Now am I being ridiculously foolish in not realising something here... are there two bulbs in the headlight or something and one of them has gone? Ideas?

Cheers for looking.
(Extremely foolish feeling Monster Owner)

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
OKAY....1ST....does it get brighter when you rev the bike up?....to a degree it should...but if it does so ALOT more (like the difference between high and low beams for example)...you may have an R&R charging electrical problem...

if this is not the case and it only gets a little brighter as per normal expected operation....then what you are experiencing is just the simple fact that you are nearing the end of the lifespan of the bulb....the filiment for the low beam provides only but soooo many hours of life....being that you normally don't use the high beam as much (even though the filiment is within the same bulb) it hasn't burned as long and provides more of the light emission that is normally expected....so it could just be a simple case of put a new bulb in and problem solved!

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
There are two bulbs. One is the park lamp which is lit during normal running, and the other is the low beam filament.

Sounds like it's time for a new H4 lamp.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have the same problem. My low beam filament is not working and the faint light is from the parking bulb. The funny thing is that my bike only has 65 miles on it. I just bought it yesterday. The nearest Ducati dealer is 120 miles away. I'm hoping I can find a bulb locally at an auto parts shop or something. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
Yeah most likely the low beam filament has blown and you're running on the separate parking globe.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I changed the bulb, it's not the low beam filament. I also checked the fuse box and they all look fine. It looks like I will have to use high beams until I make it back to the dealer for my 600 mile service.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Any news on what caused the problem? I have the same situation with my 04 800sie. Just replaced the bulb today with a $25 silverstar and nothing. :(

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
^^^
Try checking the fuse. I had it happen to me and all I had was a blown fuse; high-beams worked, low-beams didn't. Good Luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts