Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can 916 or S4 head gaskets be reused?or should I buy new ones.
hello Chaps,

I am working on my heads and checking galley plug will buy new rear cylinder base gasket.

The pistons and valves have some carbon deposits which I want to remove what tool is best.( i think a soft bronze brush on a drill)

am making a home made rocker pin removal tool, out of long 5mm bolt and socket.

already made a head bolt tool. a alternator caseremoval tool, engine turning tool and clutch oil pump case removal puller.

Jerry

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
S4 head gaskets are unfortunately not re-usable.

The base gasket is really just a metal shim, no need to buy one, it's reusable.
Exhaust gaskets are re-usable, same with rocker covers.
I've re-used the gaskets on the rocker-shaft covers, just put the bare minimum of sealant on 'em.

Is your bike leaking oil at the bottom of the rear cylinder?

Using a solvent such as kerosene, WD-40, or the like will make the carbon removal easier.
You should be able to do the piston by hand with a bristle brush.

Funny, I've got that same rocker shaft tool. [laugh]

I don't recommend removing the closer rockers unless you *absolutely* must do it.
The closing spring on them is quite strong and a real PITA to deal with.

Valves are a *lot* easier to adjust with the heads on the bench, especially the rear exhaust.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Speedog, do u run a shop,

The rear base gasket is not leaking yet , what is the cure or prventitive measure for the base gasket, as I am going to look at the galley plug and crank.

lets hope the closing rockers are Ok, but with my luck I think some may be no good.Ther was chrome flakes on the oil screen.

jerry

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Yes, I run a tiny little shop whose sole purpose is servicing a red S4. [laugh]

There is an oil gallery in the crankcase that was used to supply oil to the cylinder head on older bikes.
The S4 cylinder does not have the matching passage, as the oil is supplied externally.
A good percentage of S4's would leak there at the base gasket.

Mine leaked, and I plugged that gallery in the crankcase with a grub screw.

If you remove the cylinder, make sure you get a piston ring compressor for getting the piston back in at assembly.
The oil rings are cast iron, and are *extremely* delicate, I broke one while trying to get the cylinder back on without a compressor. :mad:

Chrome flakes on the screen aren't good.
You can easily inspect the closers after you take the cams out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.