Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tape Speed Channel last night, cuz I just got the channel and it was Two Wheel Tuesday. One of the show talked about the Harley Davidson Race bike, the VR 1000. It was a 90 degree, v-twin with a dry clutch. Dennis Gage (or whatever the phuck his name is) said to the guy, "this is basically a Ducati motor", the guy was like "Uh, yeah...yeah". When they showed it riding on the street, it didn't sound as cool as our beloved bikes, but it did have that addictive dry clutch chatter. The bike was like a 94 or something like that. Kinda cool to know that when HD decided to race in the AMA, they copied off a Ducati motor. Maybe I don't know the whole story, which I probably don't, but it makes me feel good that all these Harley buffs realized who makes the better product!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I saw that show too, I think it's Corbin's Ride On. The VR 1000 is a 94 model (big front headlight full carbon body). 50 were made and they sold for 50k a piece to dealers. It's a 90 degree v-twin producing 150hp. It sounded like a Ducati with stock pipes. On Tuesday nights speed channel has a cool bike/talk show that shows cool upgrades, features, and new models coming out.

·
0 Posts
Cable Tv freaks.
I'll get it one day.
Did you see PBS last night? :-/

·
Registered
133 Posts
the VR 1000 was HDI's atempt to enter into the AMA superbike races, they were ONLY sold in Poland, but if you want to see one, head up to UKEs HD in kenosha
Bike only finished about half of the races it entered, and its best finish was 3rd, with Duhamel riding
Similar to the Vrod motor, but different in may ways
later
Roger

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
It's actually a 60 degree twin, and H-D liked to use that as an excuse as to why it couldn't keep up with the Ducatis. "You just can't win with a 60 degree twin; We need an all new bike to be competative" they'd say. Of course, then Aprilia came out with the Mille, powered by a 60 degree twin and started winning WSBK races....

Miguel Duhamel ran at the front of a couple of races on the VR1000 in `94, but it stayed relatively the same until they stopped roadracing.

--Fillmore
HEY! stay out of the MOCHA forum, JackA$$

·
Registered
133 Posts
The Vrod which was the eventual out come of the VR(kinda sorta) is a 90, and i thiought the VR was a 90, ill go ask some freinds that have worked with the bike and get back to you guys, but i could have sorn it was a 90
ROger

1 - 11 of 11 Posts