Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I *know* that I've seen this discussed either here or on the DML list but I'll be darned if I can find it with a search now... :-[

I have a Ducati Performance carbon fiber bikini fairing on my '99 M750 (yellow, in case you care). It has begun to get hazy and dull looking, presumably from being out in the sun during the day here at work. But my other CF bits still look shiny and new...

I clean the bike with a mild car wash detergent regularly and between-wash touch ups are done with Honda Spray Cleaner and Polish (don't laugh, this stuff is great!). No other CF surface looks this way, just the bikini fairing.

Can anyone give me any tips on how to restore the shine to this thing? Can I use a fine polishing compound on it?

Thanks,
Don Zielke

M

·
0 Posts
well i've always said a wet sanding with 1500 grit between a spray of clear would take care of it. that's what i did with my older 900ss. i tried the recent suggestion of using sunscreen on the s4 carbon bits... it cleaned things up a little bit, gave it a better finish, but the yellow is still there for the most part. maybe the sunscreen will keep it from getting worse. there was another suggestion to use a marine grade fiberglass restorer but i haven't tried that yet. i'd try a polishing compound first and see what that gets you... that bikini fairing gets hit by debri.

R

·
0 Posts
I tried the Penitrol (sp) from Flood which restores fiberglass for boats. I was very happy with the results. ALthough the color of the Carbon Fiber is still kind of green instead of grey it did bring back the shine and depth. The stuff is really easy to work with and dries in about 5 hours and in my opinion it made a large difference.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I've got this same problem (had a thread open a while back). I'm actually going down to see a painter tomorrow who's supposed to be a miracle worker, or so my buddy tells me. Thing is, he really did do a beautiful job on my buddy's car, so maybe he can clean my carbon bits up nice again. Either way, I'll post tomorrow night and let ya know how it goes.

-dj

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A local mechanic said I ruined it using the spray cleaner on it and the fact that it sits in full sun all day. He said he doubted that DP puts any clearcoat on their CF bits and said I might be able to do the wet sand and clearcoat route.

Let me know how it turns out, DJ.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
That's one of the reasons I've removed nearly all of the carbon fiber from my bike. It's too much work to keep it from fading.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
I'll second the vote for Penetrol from Flood. I tried it and mentioned it in one of the earlier threads. I've even tried it on silver metallic car paint (MAACO) that was starting to break down. Decent results on that too.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Sorry for not responding yet. I've picked up my son's cold and have been outta commision for a couple of days. I'll post in a day or two when I've had a chance to meet with the painter.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Saw someone on here talking about using wd40. I tried it the other day and so far is working great. I just sprayed some wd40 on a rag and wiped down the piece with it and left it on. Still nice and shiny.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts