Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is what I get for being a bigger guy with a Ducati...

OK, I wear an 11 EEE shoe / boot. I'm built like a linebacker, and my calves can't fit in typical tall motorcycle boots.

I tried Alt-berg (www.altberg.co.uk) , but they wanted me to come to the factory for a custom fitting... and the factory is in northern ENGLAND. Not northern New England... England. (I live in NY.) Specter Road (www.specterroaad.com) is re-designing thier lines of boots this winter with no estimation of when they're producing again. Both places pride themselves on customizing boots for riders.

I am sick of riding with my tan workboots with the massive sole and near-inflexibility. They look great with my black cordura pants, too [laugh]!!! I'm a new rider with his first bike, and I want to ride as much as I can as soon as I can before the snows set in here!

Does anyone have any suggestions for safe, comfortable and good looking motorcycle boots that DON'T look like they come from a Harley-Davidson product line? I'm willing to pay, but I'm having zero luck in this quest.

Or am I simply S.O.L.?

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
A store in California called "Helimot" I believe sells Frey Daytona boots that are made in Germany. They offer a boot for big folks and offer wide sizes as well. Good looking stuff, a proper riding boot, all black, good protection, goretex lined, looks like a real motorcycle boot without the loud colors of a Sidi race boot.

Search for Daytona Motorcycle boots and Helimot.

Let us know what you find.

Good Hunting.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
10/10ths said:
A store in California called "Helimot" I believe sells Frey Daytona boots that are made in Germany. They offer a boot for big folks and offer wide sizes as well. Good looking stuff, a proper riding boot, all black, good protection, goretex lined, looks like a real motorcycle boot without the loud colors of a Sidi race boot.

Good Hunting.
Well, I'm took a flyer and I ordered the Roadstar GTX. NOT Cheap!!! BUT, and this is the point, they come in a wide width with an adjustable calf and if they fit, and comfortable, and are safe, I'm all over it!! Worse comes to worse, I return them and wait for Spector Road :p.

Thanks for that!! [thumbsup]

·
Registered
177 Posts
stay away from Sidi as they are made for a narrow foot.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Fantastic!!!!!!

Alright, you gotta let us know how well these work for you.

I am seriously considering the very same boot, that's why I posted the respone, I've been researching solutions for my 5EEEEE wide feet as well and my research led to these boots.

My bike is down for repairs so I have been able to postpone my boot purchase.

Please let us know when you get them on your feet.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just as a public service, and to assist in future searches on the subject, I post the following;

In order to find comfortable motorcycle boots for wide feet (and also calf (calves) fitment issues), I have ordered BOTH Oxtar Matrix boots and Daytona Roadstar boots AND I am working with Specter Road to see if I can work with them to get some custom boots that fit really, really well. I will have the Oxtars and Daytonas this week and will post reviews (with pictures) soon after.

I know this is an oft-searched subject, so I thought I'd try to help.

Tom

PS - my financial accounts love me 8)

·
Registered
444 Posts
Not sure if it helps cause your foot is much bigger then mine, but I found that Alpinestars boots were much wider then a sidi, you might give them a try it can't hurt to try em on....

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well the Oxtar Matrix fits, but I'm still going to exchange them for the next bigger size. I ordered a 45 (for a US 11 foot) and while they fit my feet, I don't feel too safe for one reason.

(Before I get to my issues, I have to admit that these are really nice boots! The material feels good, there's good protection, the sole is solid but still "sorta" walkable. I don't think I'd want to hang out all day in them, but they'd feel good on the bike!)

The calves: My right calf atrophied a little bit after I broke a bone in my right foot in 2001, and it's never gotten back to its normal size. The top velcro piece (excuse me, hook and loop fastener 8)) on the right leg almost closes while the left boot barely catches any of the velcro. I'm worried that in a fall that 1/2 to 3/4 inch of "grab" in the velcro won't be enough to keep the boot on my foot. I'm hoping a 46 will give me a little more coverage on the upper leg and NOT give me clown feet.

I will post pics soon because I wear wide shoes and these actually fit on my feet [thumbsup]. My legs are another issue. :p

The first pic attached shows my left foot, the left boot of the Oxtar Matrix boots and the left shoe of my commuting shoes - Allen Edmunds "Commuter", size 11EEE.

The second pic shows my foot actually fitting into the boot! Feet feel good!

The third pic is of the boot not getting all the way around my leg. :-[ :p

Let's see if moving up from a 45 to 46 will help!

I hope this is of help to some people! BTW - the Daytona's are back-ordered from the factory.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
FWIW, I have been to the Helimot shop and they are great. All the local racers get their suits and boots from them. A friend who crashed on the track and scuffed up his suit asked if they could repair his custom made suit and they ended up making a brand new custom suit for the cost of repairs!

The Daytona boots are spendy, but most folks keep them forever. The higher end ones are custom made and feature removable leather boot covers, so the fiberglass frame and boot part is separate. Anyway, when you get yours, I'd really like to hear how you like them.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
tommys67 said:
Let's see if moving up from a 45 to 46 will help!

I hope this is of help to some people! BTW - the Daytona's are back-ordered from the factory.
Well, the size 46 Oxtar Matrix boots fit a bit better all the way around, but I'm going to wait for the Daytona's to make a final decision. Stay tuned!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts