Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
S4 2002

Came back from ride and while giving bike a clean (it had been raining) I noticed a stain on the left rear corner of the rear cylinder where the head joins the cylinder. Yellow/tan/brown stain was like a run from the corner of the head and down the side of the cylinder onto the crank case. It does not want to come off either. (I tried kerosene/turps/ WD40).

I wondered if stain was the gasket goo seeping from a blown gasket ?

Thinking I will put some sort of fluid on the spot and see if I can detect pressure escape/leak witht he engine running.

Bike is running fine but maybe only a compression test will be best for diagnosis.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Re: Have I blown a head gasket?

Yeah, I would go to a compression or leak-down test, personally. I can't really think of any substance you could put on the gasket to check for pressure leaking without it burning off or cooking on. Usually, the best advice is to clean the area as much as possible, take good high-res pictures and keep on riding. Check the spot after every ride and see what happens.

Hope it all works out!

-Danimal

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts

Do any Ducs have head gaskets? I know 2V doesn´t.
Any chance of battery acid gettin to that location? Once it`s been there a 24h,
almost impossible to clean.
Could you take a pic, would make diagnose easier.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts

greenmonster said:
Do any Ducs have head gaskets? I know 2V doesn´t.
Any chance of battery acid gettin to that location? Once it`s been there a 24h,
almost impossible to clean.
Could you take a pic, would make diagnose easier.
4V all have gaskets.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts

Good, ducpainter, I`ve learnt something new today! ;)

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Not easy to get a photo in the area concerned due to the frame and the angle required.

I am starting to wonder about the two frost plugs because on closer observation, that seems to be a starting point for the stain (unless the stain could travel vertically up from the head/ cylinder join.)

So if the frost plugs were the source, what color would the leak be?

·
Registered
45,105 Posts

The color you described sounds like the color of the stain from my leaking gas tank.

Sounds like a similar area too.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts

I have stains on my block and frame that came from where the tank was press welded and leaked and stained the clear coat on the frame and the aluminum block.very pissed when it happened but the dealership swapped out the tank for nothing.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts

i3ui3man said:
I have stains on my block and frame that came from where the tank was press welded and leaked and stained the clear coat on the frame and the aluminum block.very pissed when it happened but the dealership swapped out the tank for nothing.
It could happen again.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts

if it's a head gasket the colour should be the same as your coolant, which is usually green. i've never seen an oil leak from a head gasket - the only oil is the drain back from the heads. more likely to be the grease from the head nuts or just an oil leak of some sort.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

...and any thoughts that this could be the frost plugs ?

I assume the frost plugs are part of the water cooling system and could be containing "rusty" water although I can not imagine why that would stain the finish if the cylinder and the crank case.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

This stain turned out to be a leaking battery.

I discovered it when I replaced the battery. Wish I had done it earlier cos it took some cleaning up. The stains on the crankcase are permanent but at least they have not eaten into the metal as they have done on top of the head.

Check your battery. They do lie on their side in an S4 !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts