Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Re: Has anyone run a 1/4 Mile on their Monster

i rode my s4 up to new england drag way to hang out with a buddy who was dragging his girl's hopped up z28. just for grins, i ran my s4 down the strip. exactly ONCE because i didn't want to fry my clutch prematurely on a hot launch.

now i'll be the first to profess i'm no racer, but in the twisties i think i'm a pretty good rider. at the 1/4 mile, i squeezed out a totally pathetic launch (but at least i didn't stall!) and trapped after 11.04 seconds at 104 mph. my buddy takes his s4 up there every so often and turns low 10's at about 120 mph. he still wants to play with his gearing and whatnot, and figures if he gets a good launch down, he'll get into the mid 9's.

·
Registered
588 Posts

Now where talkin, I was wondering when this subject would come up.

I'd love to give my Duc a run down the 1/4, but unfortunately no Drag Strip in PNG. A mate of mine is an electronics whizz, & we're working on a week end drag strip timer set up on one of the old runways at the airport.

i really didn't think the Monster would be as quick as that, but i must say, i am pleasantly supprised.

Can't wait to get our little home made setup going & will definately let you know the result.

Low 10's at 120mph terminal is a real good run, he must have got off the line well.

i've had fast cars most of my younger life, but this is my first bike, so forgive my ignorance..................................................but how do you get off the line quickly? Obviously you cant jump off the clutch at 6000 or you'd be on your a$$, i'm told it's all clutch controll, but after a couple of attempts on the street, it doesen't appear easy! what's the theory behind the practice?

I saw a guy on a GSXR1100 about 10 years ago run a 9.89sec 1/4 on his street bike that he rode to the drag strip & raced & he never even got the front wheel off the ground running these times........i guess that's clutch controll.

·
Registered
294 Posts

I used to run the 1/8th, on my 93 750SS, when I lived down in GA. The trick to getting off the line was when you see that third light you need to launch cause if you see green your late. I start rolling on the throttle as I am letting out the clutch. I used to get some pretty good 60ft times and used to beat some bikes off the line. But anything after the 60ft mark I was run down, but I used to give Kaw ZX 6 not the R model a run for its money. It's pretty fun drag racing on a track, wish i still had some time slips. But my best time in the 1/8th was a 7.9.

G

·

I drove my Monster to see my buddy run his 86' B-I-T-C-H-I-N Camaro that he has all tricked out at the local speedway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts