Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to sell my bike and I have come across someone who was interested in it but turns out he lives in the uk. I dont have a problem sending the bike to him but I am hesitant due to all the scams that are out there. I will give you guys the run down of the scenerio and perhaps I can get your input.

he sends me an email asking about the bike and pics, I give him all the details and a few pics, he responds by saying that he liked what he saw and doesnt want to delay the transaction, he said that he would like to send me a certified check for $10k at which point I am supposed to cash and keep my cut ie; $4200 and send the remainder to his associate via Western Union at which point his associate will come and take delivery of the bike and ship it to the buyer back in the uk.

It sounds legit to me but I have never had to deal with the sales of motor vechicles over seas. Now maybe its just the world we live in but I dont understand how he can comfortably send a cert. check in the amount of $10k to someone he has never met. My initial response is "there must be something wrong because no one in their right mind would do that knowing that they could get screwed out of it" am I missing something. I would like to make the sale but I dont want to get screwed out of a bike somehow. I was initially acception credit card payments via paypal but a friend told me that the person could pay for the bike, take delivery and then a month later call the credit card company and somehow recall the payment. I dont know if this is true but it doesnt sound comforting.

please help me guys, thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
so you're skeptical of this guy because of "all the scams out there", but you're entertaining this offer? the whole idea of sending you a lot of money and having you send the change IS the scam that you should be wary of. no offense to whatever you're selling, but keep in mind that Ducati sells bikes in Europe, too, why would this guy want yours?

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
walk away & don't look back.

I lived in the U.K. and trust me, I don't think anyone would be willing to pay shipping, duty, clearance etc. to import something that is available locally.

rich

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
sconly said:
he said that he would like to send me a certified check for $10k at which point I am supposed to cash and keep my cut ie; $4200 and send the remainder to his associate via Western Union at which point his associate will come and take delivery of the bike and ship it to the buyer back in the uk.

This is quite a common scam. The certified check is BOGUS, and then you wire the remainder. Then the bank contacts you about the bogus check, and you are out the money.

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
Dude, that is a scam. Cut and dried. The check is no good, but it will take weeks before your bank will notify you of that fact and delete the amount of the check from your account. By that time, you will have already sent the guy your cash and your bike. Don't do it. You were right to post this. It is definitely a scam.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts