Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has Anybody Tried Termignoni Pipes & ECU on a M695? I am interested on how the low end power and drivabilty compares to the stock pipes and ECU. Is it better, worse, does it pull better at a lower RPM, etc.

Any information provided is appreciated.

Thank You,

Brian Frymiare

·
Registered
218 Posts
Not on a 695, but I had this just done to my S2R 800
Termi full kit, ECU, open air box

Very big difference -

The dealer told me to 'be careful' it is very very responsive.

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
If you are gonna drop that much on pipes, why not spend that money upfront and get the bigger Monster in the 1st place??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good Question: A couple of reasons:

- I like the look of the 695 better, with the stock twin pipes and double swing arm.
- I would like to only buy the ECU, and use the stock pipes (I like quit)
- I already own a 695 and would like to get more torque in the lower RPMS

I was also told that the M800 is going to be classified in a higher insurance classification, so keeping the M695 is a good financial decision.

The bottom line is I love my M695, and although it is a wonderful bike, I would like to know if doing an ECU upgrade is a worthwile thing. Maybe I should have worded the initial question better and asked:

Does any body think that upgrading a stock M695 with the Termi ECU upgrade from Ducati is worth the effort, and Will it boost low end Horsepower and Torque?

Any information provided is appreciated.

Thank You,

Brian F.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Brian:

My stock M695 ran so poorly, (hesitate, sputter, surge at 1000 - 3000 rpm), and even more so after the 600 mile service, that in July my dealer swapped out the ECU for one in the 695 'complete Termi kit.' It's an MTS1000DUCATI031, it doesn't communicate with the oxygen sensor, and is tune-able. Nice flat power curve, even with the stock airbox and pipes.

I've since added a 14T sprocket, the DP high efficiency air filter kit, and Termi carbon fiber low oval slip-ons. (I prefer the look of low ovals and dislike the 'hot butt' my [high pipes] Speed Triple gave me.) I have about 2000 miles on the bike now, and it's running stronger and stronger! Never dyno'd, before or after, just seat of the pants testimony, but I have to say this combination is just remarkable -- and oh that sweet sound. All the torque this old dude needs.

Euro3 compliance is the culprit; the stock ECU has to go, or be over-ridden by a Power Commander-type device. It's a shame. But once you let her breathe, oh boy!

Best to you-

·
Registered
355 Posts
Stevene, Can you post a pic of your set-up?

I've been thinking of going with the full Termi kit, bit your approach sounds pretty well thought out.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
M695 Army Man said:
I was also told that the M800 is going to be classified in a higher insurance classification, so keeping the M695 is a good financial decision.
I ALMOST traded my M750 for a 695 w/ full termi kit & ECU. I was considering the M800, and was quoted $485/year for FULL coverage. Your area and driving record may vary. I was advised against the 695 (I LOVED the red frame/black tank combo) because the salesman told me I would miss the power curve of my M750

JM

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
M695 Army Man said:
Does any body think that upgrading a stock M695 with the Termi ECU upgrade from Ducati is worth the effort, and Will it boost low end Horsepower and Torque?
Unfortunately you cant purchase the upgaded ECU on its own without having to splurge on the whole package. If you want to feel more torque, definitely suggest doing the cheapest mod - 14t front sprocket. Your bike will come alive like a whole new bike. I personally have a drilled airbox with K&N filter and new slip-on exhaust and the stock ECU is running just fine with it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank You for the information and ideas. The 14 tooth sprocket is a great idea and is on the Christmas wish list, along with a good pair of riding boots, and a centerstand (so that the bike sits straight up in the garage - next to my car, and I don't clip mirrors coming in and out of the garage with my car [laugh].

However, I would love to get this girl to start pulling at a lower rpm, and eliminate the below 3,000 rpm sputter. I am pretty sure that it is fuel related, that the bike is leaned out in the bottom end to comply with emissions, hence the ECU question.

Twenty plus years ago, I used to drill the jets in my carburetors out with wonderful results. I increased the jet's orifice area by about 10 % - and that was all that was needed. I have always looked for getting the most bang for the buck, and switching the ECU while maintaining the stock filter and pipes is fine by me. I like the low pipes, and I like them being quit. If I want more character (sound), I will core them, and nock out the cataltic converter.

The bike has sufficient HP for my riding style (Im 42, with a wife, and two kids), and my objective is not more HP - but to increase the bikes "rideabilty" - to eleminate the sputter, and get a stronger bottom end torque curve. Who knows, maybe it will run a little cooler to boot.

This bike is fuel injected, hence the idea about the termi ECU. I like the idea of just changing the whole ECU, and not trying to splice a power commander in or some other device.

I find it hard to beleave that thy will not sell the ECU seperate. It has to have a part number. My local dealer has a good parts guy, so I do not think that will be a problem.

Any other input or ideas?

Brian F.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
M695 Army Man said:
However, I would love to get this girl to start pulling at a lower rpm, and eliminate the below 3,000 rpm sputter. I am pretty sure that it is fuel related, that the bike is leaned out in the bottom end to comply with emissions, hence the ECU question.
The 14t will clear that right up. Trust me.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hypo M3 - Sounds good. I will do the 14 tooth. If you say the 14 tooth will clear it right up - thats good enough for me.

Now that I modified the clutch lever by removing all the glue out of the adjustment screw, and backing the adjustment screw out a little, it acts like a normal clutch.

BTW: Hows the M3 running?

Just did the oil and filter on the 540. 120 k and still pulls like a raped ape.

Take Care,

Brian F

·
Registered
31 Posts
stevene said:
Brian:

My stock M695 ran so poorly, (hesitate, sputter, surge at 1000 - 3000 rpm), and even more so after the 600 mile service, that in July my dealer swapped out the ECU for one in the 695 'complete Termi kit.' It's an MTS1000DUCATI031, it doesn't communicate with the oxygen sensor, and is tune-able. Nice flat power curve, even with the stock airbox and pipes.

Euro3 compliance is the culprit; the stock ECU has to go, or be over-ridden by a Power Commander-type device. It's a shame. But once you let her breathe, oh boy!
I had a similar experience with my 695. It was sputtering and misfiring in the low RPMs from very early on. Changing the stock ECU to a performance unit took care of the problem and now the bike is smooth as butter and has more pull. It feels like a different bike now.

From what i've heard the stock ECU is set very lean (probably due to Euro 3) and is non-adjustable. So I would highly recommend making that upgrade (with or without new pipes). Add to that a 14t front sprocket and I think you will be very happy.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
M695 Army Man said:
Roadbull,

What performance ECU did you put in your bike?
Yeah, Id like to know also considering three dealers told me that the ECU that comes with the Termi package isnt for sale on its own.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not wanting to get in a pissing match on this one, the bottom line is that Federal Law requires a Manufacture to make spare parts avalable for all of there products. As this is a dealer installed modification, its going to be classified as an option, and the Federal Law applies. What, in five years from now, if your Termi ECU goes up, there going to tell you that you have to buy the whole setup - ECU, Pipes, and Air Filter - I think not.

I worked in a Kawasaki / Harley Davidson Dealership almost 25 years ago, and I know the worth of a good parts guy. He can make things happen.

Keeping this thread going, Love to here about the original question of an ECU or ECU and Termi pipes upgrade on a M695, and how it effects ridabilety, bottom end torque, and eliminating the below 3,000 rpm stutter. If you respond, please list the exact ECU used, and source, if you can.

Thank You,

Brian Frymiare

·
Registered
27 Posts
For Zcat07:

Here's a pic.

DP carbon slip on low ovals, sku 96007700B. Not visible in pic: DP performance air filter kit, sku 96411700B, and DP performance ECU, sku 96517807B ("MTS1000DUCATI031" label on ECU).

Slip ons also available in Ti.

Stock side panels recently replaced with DP CF - sku48210312AA (leftside) and 48210322AA (rightside). Not in this pic.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Steve,

Roger that and a BIG Thank You. Picture looks Good.

"Nice flat power curve, even with the stock airbox and pipes"

That is exactley what I am after - and you still had the stock 15 tooth on. Must be phenominal now that you have the 14 tooth.

Based on Hyper M3 input, I plan to do the 14 tooth first, see how it is, and then, if its not like I want, I will do the ECU with the stock pipes and air box.

Big Thank You,

Brian F.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 695 has the same stutter

It runs awesomely when it is:
A) off,
B) full throttle.
Otherwise I get that stuttering and pops and crap.

I took it to my local mechanic (ORORcycle.com) and he worked on it and got '66%' of the problem gone, but it still does it. He said the problem was too much air in and out, and that made it run lean. He did what he could, but the 695 has a single cylinder sensor. Still......

I talked to a local Aprillia shop (AF1racing.com) and they offered a 'power commander' (and I could never find one for the 695!) and dyno-tuning for a total of ~$750.

Today I finally found the 695 DP ECU PN and a place that sells them. WOOHOO! However, I have no idea if this is a "plug-and-play" install or what. Any comments/ideas out there?

·
Registered
635 Posts
It runs awesomely when it is:
A) off,
B) full throttle.
Otherwise I get that stuttering and pops and crap.

I took it to my local mechanic (ORORcycle.com) and he worked on it and got '66%' of the problem gone, but it still does it. He said the problem was too much air in and out, and that made it run lean. He did what he could, but the 695 has a single cylinder sensor. Still......

I talked to a local Aprillia shop (AF1racing.com) and they offered a 'power commander' (and I could never find one for the 695!) and dyno-tuning for a total of ~$750.

Today I finally found the 695 DP ECU PN and a place that sells them. WOOHOO! However, I have no idea if this is a "plug-and-play" install or what. Any comments/ideas out there?
What's the place's name? Maybe they have one for my M620...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts