Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that Ducati, or nobody for that matter, makes a hard case for the rear of our bikes.

However, I made one and it looks and works great. I'll post some pictures soon after this weekends trip.

Ventura (Italian) sold by http://www.cycleventure.com/products/products.htm in Washington State is the only company that makes a rack for our bikes. It's tubular steel and looks great and is very versitile. You can buy many different sizes of soft bags to mount to it that are made by Ventura specifically for the rack.

I bought the Sport Kit that comes with a small Sport rack. I then went to Givi.it and bought this case in all black http://store.scootertronics.com/gie33pomosct.html

It comes with a mounting bracket that bots directly to any tubular rack. It bolted perfectly to the Ventura rack. This hard case is also removable with the key and the touch of one button. Great for carrying your gear into the hotel and is 100% water proof.

For the long trips, I can click on the Givi bag. For the every day around town trips I use the Sport Pack from Ventura, which is small enough for cell phone, locks, keys, cigarettes, extra shirts, bungee chord...etc.

This took some thinking because nobody makes a hard case for the Monster and Ventura is the ONLY one that makes a rack for the Monster. Givi bolts right onto the Ventura rack.

I'll post some pictures that I'll take during this weekend's ride down to the Keys.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the same rack I had on several of my bikes. Once you start using the convenience, you wont be concerned with looks at all and you'll be the envy of all your friends.

problem is, look at the last year they made it. That was my problem.

If you get it though, you will NOT be dissappointed. I promise. Although the rack itself is not as tight and nice looking as the ventura rack and doesn't provide the flexibility of all the different soft bags that ventura offers.

And the Ventura rack lets you replace the rack with a grab handle for a very sporty around-town use. Very very nice and versitile.

http://www.cycleventure.com/fitments/display_picture.asp?fitment_id=661

Here's the actual picture.

·
Registered
322 Posts
i like that one much better. very clean. the givi one is kind of obtrusive in comparison.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Thumper said:
I'll post some pictures that I'll take during this weekend's ride down to the Keys.
I would very much like to see pics!...especially of the mounting stuff on the Givi box because I have a Ventura system and I'd like a better look at the mounting configuration before purchasing....cause I think I got a line on a deal for a case like the one you linked to for cheaper!

·
Premium Member
2,406 Posts
Wait . . .

I thought there was hard cases for the Monster. 2 side cases and a tail case. ~$1200 . . . I'm pretty sure I almost bought a set at one time . . .

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ORD,

1200 dollars is outrageous. My full Ventura kit with bag and sport grab rail was 220.00 and the Givi bag was only 120.00 or something like that.

Give me a few seconds and I'll go downstairs and take pictures of everything................hold on.

·
Premium Member
2,406 Posts
Holding.

But it's been longer than a few seconds. Going on minutes actually . . .

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ha ha ha

here is a picture of my bike with the Ventura rack and Sport bag

here is a picture of JUST the Ventura rack with the Givi rack bolted onto it.

here is a shot of the Givi bag snapped onto the bike in 2 seconds. Locks into place with key. Cannot be stolen within reason.

here is a shot of the Givi bag opened on the bike. Enough for two people for the weekend or just one person with tons of stuff and 100% watertight

I hope this helps :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Uhhhhhh, yeah.

I think I'm going to charge for this one :) I take Amex :) :) ha ha [laugh]

If you call CycleVenture in Washington........tell Amy (the only one you'll speak with) that Tom Longo sent ya. I live in Florida and she's not a friend, but I joke with her all the time and bought quite a few racks from her. So, she'll know me....................I hope :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
quick question... you say "not eaily stolen" Do you have any additional security features to keep the ventura rack to the "J" bars? Or is it just the 2 hand tightened bolts that come with it?

Great work on the case though. Looks really good and really secure.  [thumbsup]

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
slowpoke13 said:
quick question... you say "not eaily stolen" Do you have any additional security features to keep the ventura rack to the "J" bars? Or is it just the 2 hand tightened bolts that come with it?

Great work on the case though. Looks really good and really secure. [thumbsup]
the locks spin into place with a key insert doohickey that makes it pretty hard to undo it by hand...maybe by channel locks or pliers if you don't have said key insert tool thingy dingy....so they should be more than just "hand tight"....and yes...awesome work!...very helpful indeed!

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well guys. With everything into consideration now, NOTHING is safe from someone that REALLY wants to steal something. In fact, if they wanted, it would be easier to steal my whole bike then just the bag.

The case locks into place. But, if they new what they were doing and had a tool kit, then yes they can unbolt it and take it.

But face it.....locks are only preventative measures against honest theives.

They really could take the whole bike just as easily.

The great thing about the case is that, with the key and the push of one button, it comes off and you can take it with you if you really really really really felt scared. But, if that were the case, I don't think you'd want to park your bike there anyway. Right?

Okay, that just raised the price to 6 dollars each :) ha ha

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They give you a little round allen key to seperate the rack from the rails so you can put the grab rail in place of the rack. This is a one-of-a-kind feature and is awesome for track and sport riding days.

However, if it made you feel uncomfortable (as if someone would actually know the allen bolts were there) you can always JB weld the thing together. You'd never be able to remove the rack and insert the grab rail, but you can be certain that nobody could ever take it that way.

In fact, you can JB weld the bolts underneath also. This way, that thing ain't coming off EVER!!!!

You'd have to beat the thing to death with a sledgehammer to break the case open.

Sounds like a lot of work for some flip flops, towels, t-shirts and water :)

It's not like you're locking Rolex watches and diamond rings in there. ha ha ha ha [laugh]

Believe me, I've never had a problem in the 7 years I've been using Givi bags. If you are really that concerned...........park someplace else or JB Weld the bolts on :)

·
Premium Member
2,406 Posts
Thumper said:
. . . I joke with her all the time and bought quite a few racks from her. So, she'll know me....................I hope :)
So what you're saying is Amy has a nice rack for sale?

Bwaaaa haaaa ahaaaaaaaa! :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.