Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 02 S4 will sometimes not start when already warm (temp reading 150-170) without use of the fast idle. Engine requires 1-2 minutes of additional fast idle before it will idle normally. Is this common? Is it harmful to use the fast idle when the engine is already warm?

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Sometimes my S4 is a little reluctant to do a 'hot start', and requires a little throttle to light off, but it's not totally stock.

Fast idle is just that, it's not harmful. Just don't let the rpm get up high, but even then on a warm engine it's no big deal.

Is your bike still stock? How many miles on it?

It could be a bit on the lean side. There is some adjustment available on the stock ECU to richen it up a little, your dealer should have the Mathesis Tester and be able to do that at your next service.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Spiegelp: My 02 S4 with only 900 miles on it has the same "problem".

Solution I've found is easy and 100% reliable:

When starting it cold, use ONLY fast-idle lever (no throttle)

BUT

When starting it warm, use some throttle, and NO fast idle.

Works every time.

Jim G

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Mine needed fast idle to start when warm until it was sorted out at 6K with a tune, and a PCIII.

Regards,
Rideon

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
The 620 was that way after pipes. If its new or less than 2 years old, should be warranty. Never can tell until exhaust is checked for lean/rich condition using Exhaust Gas Analyzer.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Just got the same issue fixed. When you put on slipons that stock air box does not work well and you need an open airbox with a high flow filter as well as new plugs because you are running way too lean. If you let your mechanic stick his finger in your tailpipe (you know what I mean!!!) He can tell very easily. The pcIII can also smooth you out. I would advise against just continuing the "starting tricks" because when your baby is doing this to you shes not feeling good and she will get mad at you eventually!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Mine was doing that too. Just use the fast idle to get it going, then back it off. It works every time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts