Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Hard shift 1200s

16K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  wahili5000 
#1 ·
I am not new to ducatis having owned a few them and realize some of them have issues getting into neutral and some have a slightly notchy hard shifting tranny but never really bothered me. The issue with this bike however is the hardest shifting in the low gears I've had. The shifting is really hard down into second and first. Sometimes to the point where I'm putting a lot of weight into the shifter and it just won't go into second. Bike only has 1400 mi I was hoping it would be broken in more by now. I've bled the clutch and this hasn't changed anything, do you think an oil change could help?

#2 ·
My 821 was impossible to get into neutral for about the first 2000 miles or so. I also had a ton of issues with false neutrals when trying to shift between higher gears.

I'm at just over 6000 now and the transmission doesn't give me any problems whatsoever anymore. I hit neutral every single time without issue and no more hard shifts. It took some time, but everything sorted out over time.

My bike obviously has a cable clutch instead of hydraulic, but I would expect the transmission break in to be similar.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I'm only on my 1st Ducati (Monster 1200R) and had issues getting into neutral for a while and the box felt stiff.

I can honestly say that after a few hundred miles, the box loosen up nicely becoming every smooth and neutrals are now as expected.

Obviously my bike is a newer model, and I know they modified the gearbox in my bike, but a few thousand miles doesn't sound right for any bike to me.

#4 ·
I have just under 6000KM on the bike and when it's cold I can't get it to go into neutral while at a stop to save my life! I have to either turn it off (then neutral magically appears!) or hold the clutch in and just grin and bare it! I will often be able to find neutral as I'm rolling to where I want to stop, but not always. I figured this was Ducati's way of making me stay in gear at stop lights!

#6 ·
My first 1700 miles was trouble free with shifting or finding neutral. Last week after riding somewhat hard in the canyons I started to have issues downshifting to 2nd, 1st gear and finding neutral. The clutch lever also started to feel very mushy!

My friend with a 1199 Panigale told me this is a known issue with the clutch getting air bubbles. Anybody heard of this?

#10 ·
2016 Monster 1200R w/~3500 miles.

This bike has exceptionally hard shifting going down from 2 to 1. Finding neutral while stopped at a light is impossible. Finding neutral while coasting towards a stoplight can be done, but not with ease.

While the bike is underway, it shifts smoothly & fluidly going from 1 through 6.

All shifting linkage works smoothly without any binding.

Bled the clutch at the perch, no change.

Bled the slave, no change.

Flushed the clutch fluid, and bled and bled, and bled. Still no change.

Adjusted the clutch lever further/closer to the grip, via the thumbscrew. Still nothing.

I understand that Ducatis are notorious for having difficulty finding neutral, but this is a whole other level of frustration.

Can anyone offer any insight or suggestions?

Will an aftermarket/Oberon slave help this issue?

Thanks

#11 ·
I only just started to see an improvement in finding neutral in the last couple of rides. My bike has about 7500 KM. Part of my issue, I feel, is switching back and forth with my decidedly agricultural-shifting Harley. The Monster definitely has a particular pressure that it likes to find neutral. Now if I could just get the F'ing back brake to work worth a crap!

#12 · (Edited)
I've got 57k miles on a m821...I have trouble getting neutral when the oil is cold but only then...also broke the shift return spring @ 39k miles through normal wear...can't say I noticed any symptoms other than a metal bit on the drain plug...I still hit false neutrals and find that they never go away ..you just get accustomed to shifting in a certain manner

#14 ·
To anyone having a hard time finding neutral - if you DO NOT have any problems when starting off in first gear with the clutch - stop looking any further.
Go to a authorized Ducati dealer to have the clutch basket oil pressure adjusted (there is too much oil pressure inside the clutch basket ).
There is a special tool with a pressure gauge that will be inserted in place of the clutch slave pushrod. There is a pressure adjustment screw just above and behind the front drive sprocket.

NOTE - do not attempt to do this on your own - you will probably end up with transmission and clutch damage.

#17 ·
I’m finding this an issue also.. I’m at the lights going I can’t do this any softer to get N. So have to go to service and they charge then hundreds ? what are ppl being charged then for the “adjustment” how long will it take? Can 28mm slave help? Whilst I’m at it as if I’m Paying for the adjustment I may as well get this also? TIA

#19 · (Edited)
I'm at 3200 km now and it's definitely better than let's say around 1500 km's. It used to be that it was almost impossible to find neutral while the engine was running and occasionally I had to use force to select 1st or 2nd gear. I haven't had that issue for the last 1000 km's. Now, 9/10 times when going from 2nd to 1st I go past neutral and 9/10 times I do manage to find neutral when going from 1st to 2nd. I also still have the occasional false neutral between 4-5 and 5-6 but it feels like that has gotten less as well, although that could be because I'm more used to the gearbox now.

@Kidnplay01's comment is interesting though, I'm pretty sure my dealership uses Motul (will check next oil service). Is there anyone with Shell oil who still has the same issues?

#20 ·
There are special tools that are inserted into the clutch slave cylinder port to measure the oil pressure that is in the clutch ( if the pressure is too high - it results in a clutch that stays partially engaged and this is what causes the hard to find neutral with the engine running. Below is a example of clutch oil pressure for 2015 to 2018 models.

Attachments

#22 ·
Here’s what’s involved. Still need to get mine done but don’t trust Ducati Hong Kong

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10147320-9999.pdf
Just had this done under warranty.

Bike now finally shifts properly (it was difficult from the day I bought it).

This is not a DIY fix. The procedure isn't complicated, but requires Ducati specific tools that would cost you ~$300. Not a good investment for something you'll probably only use once.

If your bike suffers from this same problem, using Motul/Shell makes no difference.

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.