Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't cranked my bike since january so i decided today was a good day to do so. I fired it up without much problem and once it got running i cut off the cold start and went inside to have a sandwich while it idled.
When i went back out, the bike was off and the temp read 247. I assumed it had ran out of gas so i added a little and set a fan up next to it. when the temp got down to about 180 I decided to crank it again. It would only crank with the cold start out all the way and once it started i took out the cold start only to be confronted with a scraping sound from the engine (i have yet to pinpoint it) I checked the oil level and couldnt see any, plus theres no dipstick. (thanks DNA)
Now this is an 02 620IE with ~500 miles on it. I checked for any oil leaks or anything that looked out of place and found nothing. What do you guys think may be wrong? I have no problem taking it in for repair since its still under warranty. Could it just be a low oil issue? Thoughts....suggestions....

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I don't know much about fiel injection or 620s, but they are air cooled & the 247 would be your oil temp which is fine. Oil level should be approx 1/2 way up your site glass.

·
Registered
796 Posts
If you checked the oil while the bike was on its side stand it would look empty. Stand it up straight and check.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I don't know what to tell you, but if you end up taking this in, make sure you put enough oil in it to see it in the sight glass. If you run the bike out of oil no matter how it happens and lock or destroy the engine, it is your fault and not a warr. item.

How long did you let it run? To get the monster up to 247 on a normal day would take close to 15 minutes from cold start.

Why would you let an air cooled bike run so long with our moving?

If you cant see any oil in the sight glass on the right side of the bike, that means you don't have enough and that of course is a problem.

From your words, it sould like you might have pistion rings that have gone bad and they are scrapping the cyclinder wall. (bad thing). Bad rings could also explain oil lose. Does your bike smoke at all?

Just guessing, cant really give more info with out more info.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts