Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK someone should know how to solve this problem, here it is:

I have a 95 M-900 with a fast by Ferrachi high compressoin heads, and exhaust. My bike only has 5k miles on it. It is hard to start when it is cold but once it is warmed up it starts easy the rest of the day. I let the bike sit all week and only ride it on the weekends. after a bunch of looking on this site I think I may know what the problem is. I think it has to do with spark. I pulled out the spark plugs and they looked good and clean.

Please help me if you know what I can do to improve my starting.

By the way, the low end is choppy and it studders. I have to get it above 3krpm to run smoother, but I am not sure if it is related. Would a dyno coil kit solve my problem? I was told by a mechanic that I need to keep the gas out of the carbs when I turn it off before I store it for the week to keep the gas from evaporating. He said to turn off the gas at the tank and let it stall out. Has anyone heard of such a thing?

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
If you have the original CV carbs, they have a choke and this shouldn't be happening - get them looked at/rebuilt. If you have FCR carbs, they have no choke and that is just the nature of the beast. Drain the carbs if the bike is going to sit over the winter, but I never heard of anyone draining after every ride.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
I assume you are absolutely confident that valve and ignition timing is correct?

I have a 1995 M900 and find it will not start from cold without application of full choke. If the plugs are a correct colour then as you say running mixture is probably correct. I use a Gunson Colortune plug to check the mixture as you can actually see inside the combustion chamber whilst the engine is running. You can get these plugs to match the plug size for a Ducati. If you can get one of these apply the choke and check that the mixture is correct in both pots. I suspect it should show rich (yellow flame) with choke on, going to a bunsen blue when choke is off.

Why I ask about the ignition timing is that changing the compression may have some effect on the degree of advance the ignition needs. I am not an expert on this but I would make some enquiries.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
fuel mixture or spark?

Norm & GJ,
Thank you for your advice. I have a choke on this bike, it is the orginal carbs, and they only have 6k miles on it. I would not think I would have to have them rebuit already, would you still suggest that with such little amount of millage? Do both of you think it is carb and not spark? I think I will try to start with GJ's advice and see what the mixture is.

Can anyone chime in who knows a Fast by Farrachi engine mod that used high compression pistons? Would they have changed or modified a portion of the carbs or changed anthing else that would require something that would effect my situation?

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I either retard the ignition 2 degrees or use a complete different ignition box with different mapping, but this should only affect top RPMs. Your stock timing should start right up. Have you pulled the plugs and visually inspected the spark? New plugs are cheap.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
checking the spark

Norm,
I have pulled the plugs and they looked good, but I did not visualy check the spark. Can I do that by just grounding out the plug and cranking the starter? Or do I not even have to ground out the plug?

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Hold it tight to a hard part on the motor. I say tight because if you fumble, your body will check the spark for you - very amusing if you have a friend helping.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hard cold starts solved!!!!

I solved the hard cold start on my carbed m-900. Thanks for all your help! I was able to find a larger starter cable set from Powerlet's internet site.
http://www.powerletproducts.com/products.php?mid=1&gclid=COL-pf_OtZ8CFQmbnAodcV7Zyw

The kit was only $30.00. The instructions were not great, but I figured it out in about 2 hours. I hit the starter and varrooom! It cranked right up. Up till now I was not able to get it to start at all in the cold unless I used starter fluid. It was difficult to start in the summer after sitting for just a few weeks. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I solved the hard cold start on my carbed m-900. Thanks for all your help! I was able to find a larger starter cable set from Powerlet's internet site.
http://www.powerletproducts.com/products.php?mid=1&gclid=COL-pf_OtZ8CFQmbnAodcV7Zyw

The kit was only $30.00. The instructions were not great, but I figured it out in about 2 hours. I hit the starter and varrooom! It cranked right up. Up till now I was not able to get it to start at all in the cold unless I used starter fluid. It was difficult to start in the summer after sitting for just a few weeks. Thanks for your help!
Did you order the kit for the 1999 M900? I didn't see one for a 95, I'm assuming its the same cables.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think they are the same kit.

I think they are the same kit. I just called up and asked them for the kit, and they invoiced me via paypal, and shiped it out. I belive it is the same kit for up to 2000. The instuctions are lacking, but if you look at the wires you are taking off you can put them back in the same place. GL, let me know how it works out for you. I was told I would have to change out my coils, but this wire kit was all I needed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts