Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting to develop some nasty pain in my left hand, and I think it's due to the pressure from the bars on the thumb during braking. I originally figured I'd get over it, but it's getting chronic and I don't want to end my season before the snow flies.

I'm wondering if a pipe-bender could change the angle of the stock bars on my M1100 enough to relieve the pressure on my hands. Has anyone considered this? If they mess it up, I could switch to some adjustable clip-ons, but I like the look of the stock bars.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've looked at replacing the bars, but it's hard to determine the angle of the grips. Moving my hands back or up isn't what I'm looking for, it's change the angle of the grips in my palms.

Is there a way to measure the angle of the Rizoma's? Also, I'm assuming that the link you sent is for a M1100 too, right?

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
You can bend them to whatever you want (within reason), but it sounds like your problem is that you are leaning on the bars. You must use a light grip and support yourself with your torso of the problem will continue regardless of different bar angles. Of course, ape hanger bars completely eliminate this problem.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
>but it sounds like your problem is that you are leaning on the bars

That's true, but I can't seem to keep all of the pressure off my hands completely. Even if I grip the bike with my legs and tense my entire body, I still rock forward a bit and have to support myself under braking. Maybe it's cause I'm a weakling, or maybe it's my massive pecs (!) but there's always some weight to deal with in my hands.

My old sportbike was similar, but the angle of the clipon meant that my entire hand took the pressure, and I never had a problem. I think that if I can get another 20' bend in the bars, it'll be perfect.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts