Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys and Girls,

Since my little adventure I have been discussing options for handle bars the only complaint I had was my wrists they were so sore after a days riding, some of that was me being too tense and holding on with sheer terror for the first few days, but they were still sore. I have risers on my handle bars but was trying to find out what City Bars are all about? and where to get them? Can anyone enlighten me on these? Or any other suggestions PLEASE?

Cheers Egas

·
Banned
2,007 Posts
the riding position on monsters isn't particularly aggressive, so unless you have a previous injury to a wrist that is aggravated by the current set up you probably won't notice much benefit from changing the bars. you mentioned holding on with sheer terror, are you a new rider? if so your muscles will get used to the new effort and after a time you should be fine. being calm and relaxed on a bike comes with experience and time but reminding yourself to ease your grip will help, not hanging on so tight makes the bike easier to ride too. the city bars are a little more upright but will probably help your lower back more than your wrists.
cheers,
paul.

·
Registered
71 Posts
G'day mate, I also had the problem when riding,hands hurt from the bars,my fuingers go numb ect ect, BUT ! i spent $60 on a cruse control so when my fingers need blood i switch on the cruse control give the fingers a shake and all is well for another 30 min or so.Its well worth it.
Bryce

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
One critical thing is to make sure your bike's controls are set up properly. Sit on your bike and put your hands on the grips. If your wrists aren't straight when you reach for the brake or clutch, you need to rotate the levers down. That alone can save you a great deal of pain.

I just picked up a 2001 900SS, and the items on the factory clip-ons aren't adjustable. I was getting carpal-tunnel from 10 minutes of riding the bike. But a little work with a grinder made them adjustable and now my wrists feel fine. So do this thing first, then think about changing your bars.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
bryceow said:
G'day mate, I also had the problem when riding,hands hurt from the bars,my fuingers go numb ect ect, BUT ! i spent $60 on a cruse control so when my fingers need blood i switch on the cruse control give the fingers a shake and all is well for another 30 min or so.Its well worth it.
Bryce
Also, if you add weight to the ends of the bars you'll reduce vibration. The ThrottleMeister bar-ends are designed for that, and they include a rather elegant cruise control.

·
Registered
476 Posts
egas said:
Since my little adventure I have been discussing options for handle bars the only complaint I had was my wrists they were so sore after a days riding, some of that was me being too tense and holding on with sheer terror for the first few days, but they were still sore.
I had a similar problem and also had the issue that I could not adjust the original bars. I bought some Rizoma bars from PJSparts.com for about $80 aussie delivered and then went to town on them with the adjustment holes. When these were on the bike they were excellent, and I had adjustment!!! I sole that bike and now I am going through the same thing on my new bike. Ah well, at least I know what to do this time....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Been riding bikes for 30 plus years and the new Ducati gave me sore wrists in no time. Tilted the handle bars forward and adjusted the clutch and brake levers to a more agreeable angle. This worked a treat. Much more comfortable riding position achieved. Would still be interested in higher city bars if anyone has more info on them. All the best to you egas.

·
Banned
2,007 Posts
must be my background riding sportbikes, but my s4r, while it is a bit of a stretch to the bars (i'm 5'3") i reckon the position is high enough that i don't put much weight on my wrists at all. we're all different though so maybe filing the safety tabs off the m/cyls and rotating the bars around a little will make a big enough difference, as it has for aries rising and desmoquattro. mind you, after a 2000 klm trip anything less than a wing will be making something sore!!

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Hi all,

I have a question ... Many years ago we 'modified' several handlebars using a solid workbench with decent vise, a length
of solid pipe thnat fits snug over the bar ends, and some round wood to plug the inside of the 'straight' part of the bar ends.
The very gently application of some brute force (is that a contradiction?) will re-shape the bar. Of course there is a chance to
introduce some cracks if the bars are very hard. It might be an idea to use something from the wreckers to practice. I think if
one could 'adjust' the monster bars so that the ends will be about an inch higher and an inch further back, and that would
make it much more comfortable.
Some years ago a dropped my R1100 GS and amongst other things the handlebar was 'crook'. The BMW dealer in St. Peters
straightend it, rather that replacing the bar. This bar was black rather than chrome, so there was no chance mucking up the
surface in the process. I guess, if one was to paint the bars black anyway, then using a bit of heat from an oxy-torch would
make the operation even easier ...

Any thoughts ?

Cheers,

Peter

1 - 9 of 9 Posts