Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K. I am looking for a handle bar, not clip ons, for my 94 M900 I want a bar with no rise that tapers down like a drag bar. Anyone know where I can find just an old fashioned straight bar for this bike?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Flanders makes all kinds of excellent handlebars. I got one of their drag bars for another bike I'm building and was very pleased. You can find them on the web.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I've gone down this path already, with very little luck. Because of the shape of the Monster tanks you can't use a drag bar without some sort of riser. Unfortunately the widest part of the tank is right where the bars would hit if mounted at a good angle. I figure you need about a 1" riser to make it work. I thought about doing that, but thought the bars would look kinda silly at their mount point with a riser. I'd love to see a pic if anyone else decides to go down this route. BTW, I have a set of the Flanders 24.5" drag bars, with the narrow center.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hhhhmmm, I think you may be right. I was looking at my bars last night and it didnt look like it would work.
Back to the drawing board.
I want a nice compramise between clip ons and bars and I dont want to have to change my line and coffins and all that jazz.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Like the example from Hinkle_e, I was going to suggest looking into clubman type bar patterns. If you can find the right shape, you can get your weight forward, be a little lower, and the bars still won't hit the tank.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I've thought about Clubman style bars myself, but d**n they are ugly.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gotta go with Blood on that one.

·
Registered
76 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
bloodshot. you mentioned that you have the narrow-center flanders bars (5" center, i think)... i've been considering drag bars, and wonder if the flanders bars with the wide center (9") would work. has anybody tried this?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Chris in SCruz said:
That's what I have.. I like them - they're comfy & the adjustability is nice..sometimes I'll put them flat out, othertimes angled more downward.

http://www.slum.net/monster

Those are the adjustable ones, I just got a pair of non-adjustables, with a more radical down-angle to them..don't know how comfy they'll be since I do 100+ miles a day..
Hey, these are exactly what I am after ;D - can you let me know where I can get them, and the name / type / ordernumber? Much appreciated
Hans :eek:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Ducatistein said:
Go to http://spieglerusa.com and check out the LSL superbike handlebar. I have it and love it. It is lower than the stock bar but still clears the tank.
ducatistein. which of the lsl "superbike" bars do you have? according to the speigler website there are three: high, regular, and low. i like the low ones since the regular don't seem to be much lower than the stock bars. it also looks like their "sport-tourer" bar might be a good option to get the bars lower while still clearing my tank. just how close are the bars you've got? did your controls clamp to the bar fine or are these bars some weird german/bmw off-sized deal? they DO seem to favor bmws on their site.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
SlowDuc,
I have the regular superbike bars on mine. They seem lower than the stock monster bars but mine are on a S4 with a handlebar conversion kit. They are lower than my stock S4 bars and much closer to the rider, but that may be a result of the handlebar kit. With the handlebar kit the bar mounts almost on top of the triple clamp. If my memory serves me, my old M750 had a small riser under the bars which might raise the regular superbike bars up to stock height. If you want lower, you might try the low superbike bars and rotate them foward untill they clear your tank. And yes, all my controls fit, it is a standard 7/8'' bar. I hope this helps!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Ducatistein said:
SlowDuc,
I have the regular superbike bars on mine. They seem lower than the stock monster bars but mine are on a S4 with a handlebar conversion kit. They are lower than my stock S4 bars and much closer to the rider, but that may be a result of the handlebar kit. With the handlebar kit the bar mounts almost on top of the triple clamp. If my memory serves me, my old M750 had a small riser under the bars which might raise the regular superbike bars up to stock height. If you want lower, you might try the low superbike bars and rotate them foward untill they clear your tank. And yes, all my controls fit, it is a standard 7/8'' bar. I hope this helps!
thanks for the input! it's a tough comparison since i don't know how your converted s4 clamp compares to mine, i think the riser on the older monsters (i.e. your old 750) is taller. your conversion kit just might be the same as my '02 750's top triple, though. i'm still trying to decide which bars to use... the "low superbike" bars just make me nervous since the tank gets wider further down. the "sport tourer" bars seem a safer bet since the drawing shows them going forward a bit before pulling back. seems to me that would help the switchgear clear the tank without having the bars tilted too far forward. i'm hoping to find a dealer that's actually a dealer, first! the speigler website lists bob's bmw, but they just wrote back to me saying they'd never sold LSL stuff... weird ???

·
Banned
1,895 Posts
Motostrano carries LSL bars. I got the low superbike bars just last week and am still messing with controls, etc. So far, throttle cable may be tight and with the way the bars are bent, I may have to rethink where I'm putting my kill switch. I'm thinking right between the bar mounts it it fits. Thats really cleaning up the look on the bars, too. As far as the bend goes, it's not really as flat as I had hoped so I doubt I'll keep them for too long. Also, a word of warning; the titanium color is really green tinted so consider the black.
I really want to mount fat-bars and avoide clip-on's. Anyone have ideas on a top-clamp that takes aftermarket risers? I think the stock Duc clamps look crappy.

·
Registered
517 Posts
for anyone looking for a compromise between clip-ons and regular handlbars, give the LSL "sport-tourer" bars a try (you can order them directly through www.spieglerusa.com). i finally got them installed and adjusted. they're about an inch narrower than the stock bars, and an inch or more lower. fitting the contols involves a bit of trial and error, as it's a bit of a tight fit. i had to adjust the steering lock a little bit... the bars are lower, and the tank is a bit wider down there. the bike feels much quicker in the steering dept. i'm not sure if it owes to a little more weight forward, different feel / less leverage due to the narrower bars, or both. it seems more comfortable since the bars are angled back a little more compared to the stock dirtbike bars. i've only test-ridden them with a passenger, so we'll see how they feel when i get out on the first solo ride.

G

·
On the flanders sight there is a page that lists all of the dimensions for most bikes made.

I found in there that the Harley lightning bars are 1" higher and 1" more pullback than stock Ducati.

$50.00

What a deal!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts