Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the bike is new got it end of nov. only 1500 mi. foot lever works fine. any ideas? I really don't want to take it in if i don't have to. Help!! Please!!

Scott

G

·
is it presseing hte switch in the hand brake ? there should be a little button behind the brake lever....tak a look

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Check to make sure the switch is still securely attached to the lever bracket, I seem to recall mine popped loose a while back.

When you pull the lever, you should be able to hear the switch click.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
switch is secure and i here the click when i pull the lever. I had the rear wheel off today(nail in the tire). Maybe i could've hit something. i took the seat off and the connection to the light seems alright. i'll have to break out the meter tomorrow.BTW How is it i seem to get you two guys lately? ;)

·
Registered
599 Posts
Before you go crazy tearing things apart trying to locate the problem, try this: I was ticked because i thought my light wasn't coming on when I squeezed the front brake. Try squeezing it REAL hard, like you were coming to a hell of a stop. I know this sounds simple, but it might be it. I noticed with my 620, a tiny bit of pressure on the rear brake will turn the light on, the front brake has to be squeezed almost as far as it'll go to turn on the brake. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
The little switch in the lever can fail. Mine did. Warranty repair. Bit of a hassle going in for it, but it's a quick job.

G

·
you could also buy some electronic contact cleaner. Just spray iin the switch. the dwitch could get corroded or dirty

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Check your fuses. I was thinking my brake lever switch had gone dead also, but when I changed the fuse everything was back to normal...

·
Banned
551 Posts
Since you said you took off the rear wheel - are you sure that the brake light is not on even when the brake lever is not depressed? I am just wondering if you might have mussed something up with the rear brake when you replace the rear wheel. The rear brake lever can easily go out of line from depressing the rear brake light "switch".

Basically, when mine was mussed - I just checked all of the connections and "switches".

Hope you got it sorted.

·
Registered
54 Posts
my bike had the same problem. turned out the wiring was deteriorated right by the little bullet connectors located down by where the wiring runs by the forks and first meets the frame.

unless the wires are carefully routed and zip-tied in place, turning the steering stem back and forth causes a little kink there, so years of doing so wears through the wire.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I just rerouted my control wires to accommodate a higher rise bar. When I removed the brake light sensor from the hand grip, I didn

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just found the same problem with my 99 M900 City when I was changing the oil. Radio Shack had the switch. You have to cut off the lever, and solder the wires to the two outer poles so the switch is closed when the button is released, and open when depressed. It works great and I saved $40.00 over the dealer price.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
First, i would to thank everyone for their replys.

i went through everything and it seems to be the switch. the bike is still under warranty. but radio shack still sounds easier. thanks guys.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts