Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just dropped $340 at the break-in service... wow!
I asked how much I should expect for the 6000 mile one and they said around $550.

Is that the going rate? Should I take it somewhere else?

I knew the service was expensive but I thought the 600 mile one was around $200 and the 6000 mile one around $400...
I guess I was smoking something...

There were some amazing motorcycles at the dealer though...
I was very tempted by this guzzi that had a transimission recalled, so it was on sale for about $9000...

Anyways, bike runs much smoother now. I didn't expect the service to have that much of an effect. BTW, now that I can start running it harder, what is the redline for the m620?

Gus.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Had my 620 mile service today... Holy Crappero

This is from your user manual:

During the first 1000 km, keep the revolution meter
under control. The indicator must not exceed:
5500-6000 rpm.
During the first hours of riding, it is advisable to run the
engine at varying load and rpm, though still within
recommended limit.
To this end, roads with plenty of bends and even slightly
hilly areas are ideal for a most efficient running-in of
engine, brakes and suspensions.
For the first 100 km, use the brakes gently. Do not brake
violently or keep brake applied for too long. This will
enable a correct break-in of friction material on brake
pads against brake discs.
For all mechanical parts of the motorcycle to adapt to one
another and above all not to adversely affect the life of
basic engine parts, it is advisable to avoid harsh
accelerations and not to run the engine at high rpm for
too long, especially uphill.
Furthermore, the drive chain should be inspected
frequently. Lubricate it as required.

From 1000 to 2500 km:
At this point, you can squeeze some more power out of
your engine, being careful, however, to never exceed:
7000 rpm.

After 2500 km:
After running-in, never exceed the following values
during the motorcycle standard use:
10,000 rpm.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks Vasil.

I'm just saving up for those valve adjustments...

·
Registered
849 Posts

I picked up my S4 from its 12k service today. $2,200.- :eek: I spent four hours looking at the invoice and I'm still mystified as to where the money went. Mostly labor I'd say, rockers were flaking (replaced under goodwill warranty but I still had to pay for labor), chain, had a few broken valve collets (imagine the cost had I actually dropped a valve), belts...

My current car cost only a wee bit more than half that...

-R.

·
Registered
44 Posts

When I bought my M1000 the 600 miles (1000 km) service came free of charge..... :D
I cannot see what they would do to the bike at 600 miles that would cost 340 USD. What whas specified on the bill?

Lennart

·
Registered
236 Posts

Last night, I examined the invoice for the 600 mile service that was recently performed on my Multistrada: $227. And that included removing and replacing the clutch basket, pressure plate, spring retainers and clutch cover.

There's not a whole heck of a lot of difference between an air-cooled Monster and a Multistrada, so I would expect the prices for the 600 mile service to be similar...

·
Premium Member
613 Posts

If they did everything the manual states, it could cost that much. They speak of

-checking the TQ on all sorts of fasteners
-compression check
-oil pressure check-
-TB sync
-check / adjust cables
-oil change
-belt tension check

These are just the things that come to mind. I know I did my own as I have all the tools. At 2500miles I will do my first valve check. That should be interesting.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

shadowcougar - just wondering: when did you buy your '03 620? If you bought it before Sep '03 you should have qualified for free maintenence vouchers.... Basically all 2003s bought before Sept '03 should get free 600 and 6000 service...

·
Registered
392 Posts

I only paid around $100.00

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I had my 600 mile service done about 3 weeks ago. The bill was $343. Thankfully, I had the certificate for a FREE 600 mile service (it was a promo when I bought the bike.) Otherwise, I would be in great pain right now.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

damn, i paid 85 for my first service. i guess my service tech is pretty cheap and he's good.

·
Registered
852 Posts

When I bought my M1000 the 600 miles (1000 km) service came free of charge..... :D
I cannot see what they would do to the bike at 600 miles that would cost 340 USD. What whas specified on the bill?
It's called a "glorified oil change".

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Holy SH|T!!!! That's freakin' outrageous!

I picked up my S4 from its 12k service today.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Basically, at 600 miles you are charged a Ducati surcharge...oh and for an oilchange. Which must take 3 men 4 hours to do, of course after having gone and engineerd the Synth oil they use and the solid platinum oil filter.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

terrible_viking:

I feel your pain so sent my heads into MBP for the full monte. Valve service is suppose to 24k after there done. Better to suck it up now than piss it away later (at least those are my thoughts)

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

1000km service cost me $150 I think. I'm scared for the 10,000km one too. hopefully by then I'll have learned enough about the bike to do most of it myself. The valves and timing belts make me nervous though.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Wow this thread grew!!! :eek:

Thanks for all the replies. Well, they specified $280 in labor alone then parts, etc...

The bill says they did everything they are supposed to by the book... On the bright side, it wasn't the $2200 ;)

I actually got my bike a little over one month ago, it was a left over 03 (new) and they sold it for their "invoice" price...
So although I got it a little under the sticker, I was too late for the free maintenance deal :'(

At the rate I'm riding this bad boy I'll be due for the 6000 mile service soon... my fiance is not pleased with the prospect of paying over 500 around the time we get married...

Well, I guess its the price you pay for a piece of heaven. ;D

Peace.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

MBP; Full Monte service is new valves (37/31 I think),guides, seats, collets, intake rockers, port and polishing. They also powdercoat your heads red.

www.mhpducati.ca

I get my heads back next week so will have a full report then. If the heads truly hold up for 24k than the maintence saved will cover cost. Also suppose to help performance a little. ;D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts