Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Gwendy has her certificate to go down to the MVA and get her motorcycle endorsement.

The MSF course at the local Harley dealer was worth the extra bit of cash versus a community college course. Nice place for the class and very professional staff. Gwendy was the only girl in 11 students. They lost 2 students throught e 4 days (one had a family emergency and one dropped a bike 2 times and was asked to leave).

She got 100 percent on the written and lost the least points on the ridden test (crossed the line one time on the tight figure eight).

So I will NEVER say "I told you so" but despite leaving the house with two sets of her own leathers (two-piece zip together... oine Ducati the other Teknic), she road the first day in jeans and the Teknic jacket. Leathers in the back of the truck.

So she dropped the bike doing her very first slow-speed sharp left turn from a stop. No abrasion through the jeans themselves, but her knee looks like ****... cuts and bad bruises... right where the knee of the leathers are armored.

Just a reminder to you all that even a very slow spped fall can hurt quite a bit.

As the only girl, Gwendy was quite taken care of during the class (Thursday night, Friday night, all day Sat and all day Sun). Two older guys who have been riding 20+ years took her under their wing and were pretty cool... made sure they were riding in front and behind her so others wouldn't corwd her during testing etc.

Turns out she was fine on her own (as the scores showed).

The instructos want her to take the advanced course when she gets her bike and consider teaching the beginning course (they want women instructors). Not sure how I feel about having someone so new teach, but she is good at seeing what others are doing wrong and she's so happy and level-headed and relaxed about it she would be good.

So good news and Gwendy should be riding with me/us on some slower rides on warm days after Christmas and a lot in the Spring.

Chris

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Re: Gwendy passed her MSF course

Congrats! Me and the misses did Riders Edge too. Great course, except for the excessive shilling for the HD dealership. I hope her experience with the Blasts were better than ours. I hate that bike. So did Dana.

·
Registered
480 Posts

Congratulations, Gwendy. I'd be happy to advise on the type of bags you need in order to carry all that good food you're gonna make each time you come out riding with us! [cheeky]

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Blueshark928 said:
Congrats! Me and the misses did Riders Edge too. Great course, except for the excessive shilling for the HD dealership. I hope her experience with the Blasts were better than ours. I hate that bike. So did Dana.
Still excessive promo for HD (first day tour of the place was long, but if you were going to buy from them it would be nice as they saw each area of the shop and met the guys). Blasts sucked.

C

·
Registered
1,589 Posts

Congratulations!... now the decent into madness begins. All she needs now is her own DML login (if she doesn't have one yet) and it's all over.

*Oh and I see the future*
A bit of time on from now I see Gwendy on a red on white S4Rs and Chris on some new toy....

·
Registered
3,542 Posts

Lawyers Dad said:
As the Grampa of your brand new girl, I have mixed emotions about both parents riding at the same time on fast machines in a very densely populated area. It is not the bikes and riders, it is the rest of the world. Remember my "event" in Daytone where a drunk pedestrian ran across a four lane highway and popped out between cars 10 feet in front of me? Imagine being stupid enough to run across a highway into a line of 16 bikes.

All I can say is proceed with caution and don't expose your wife and daughter to undue risk.

I am sure this will generate some interesting posts as we are probably not the only family to be in this position.

Love ya

Dad

Edit: found the drop hitch for the trailer to get the bike.
Your not the only family. My wife and father-in-law ride too.

See you all this weekend. If the trailer dont workout in the long run, remember i have the pickup.

·
Registered
307 Posts

Congrats!

I just went for a spin around the block (ok, like 45 blocks) to see if I killed the 748 (it is still kicking), and put my leather pants on since I was wearing jeans when I tipped over at the gas station (I'm still kicking too).

It's the slow stuff that will get you. My knee probably looks just like hers. Ouch.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

As to family riding....

Surely the intent was not to say it's okay for us (Father/son) to go out riding together but that Wife/Husband is more troublesome. Certainly there are risk/benefit analysis for every individual, and I cannot and will not dictate what Gwendy decides to do... it's not my place.

I know a couple at work that think I'm crazy for riding, but then again they try to never be on the same airline flight together in case it goes down... there wil allways be a parent left for their kid...

That's extreme for me, but everyone needs to figure out the risk/reward for themselves. I think flying seperately is silly, they think it's being prepared.

We have friends who won't come inside the beltway of Baltimore because it's unsafe, but my folks live in Federal Hill and walk around all the time. Is that undue risk?

I love motorcycling. Gwendy appears to enjoy it but if she decides to not ride herself that's fine. I will strongly pressure full gear every ride though.

The worst part for grandparents?.... as soon as Aeryn can reach the pegs and hold on appropriately then all three of us will be riding.

If there's an extra bike I'm sure all five of the family could go out for a Sunday brunch ride.

Chris

·
Registered
336 Posts

dsullenb said:
Congrats!

I just went for a spin around the block (ok, like 45 blocks) to see if I killed the 748 (it is still kicking), and put my leather pants on since I was wearing jeans when I tipped over at the gas station (I'm still kicking too).

It's the slow stuff that will get you. My knee probably looks just like hers. Ouch.
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM Leather pants

>:D

·
Registered
1,589 Posts

SHADOWCHASER said:
Congratulations Gwendy! [thumbsup] [clap]

Hopefully I'll get a chance to meet Chris's better half and her new Duc on Sunday as well.?. ;)

Ciao~Steve :)
More Shennanignans!? You coming back to town big fella? You going to be coming to the NoVA area?

·
Registered
498 Posts

yuu said:
More Shennanignans!? You coming back to town big fella? You going to be coming to the NoVA area?
Not sure, ask Chris what he had in mind. :-\

I know they're suposed to pickup Gwendy's new fella Saturday. [thumbsup]

Was planning on hooking up with Chris on Sunday to reunite the Sisters since Maya's still on the Truck from California. (Was too lazy to unload the whole truck to take off @ home in OKC. [cheeky])

Just hope the weather holds true to prediction. Chris said projected low 50's, and that works for me on a day ride considering all I have with me is summer Gear. [cheeky] I have enough stuff on the truck to improvise and hack through it so long as it doesn't rain. :p

My last pick is in Baltimore Saturday evening and I don't have enough available DT hours to get back to the house with out taking a 34hr reset, so why not come and hassle you guys? [cheeky]

Especially since I missed Chris and Gwendy the last visit. ;)

[/Threadjack [cheeky]]

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

SHADOWCHASER said:
Not sure, ask Chris what he had in mind. :-\

I know they're suposed to pickup Gwendy's new fella Saturday. [thumbsup]

Was planning on hooking up with Chris on Sunday to reunite the Sisters since Maya's still on the Truck from California. (Was too lazy to unload the whole truck to take off @ home in OKC. [cheeky])

Just hope the weather holds true to prediction. Chris said projected low 50's, and that works for me on a day ride considering all I have with me is summer Gear. [cheeky] I have enough stuff on the truck to improvise and hack through it so long as it doesn't rain. :p

My last pick is in Baltimore Saturday evening and I don't have enough available DT hours to get back to the house with out taking a 34hr reset, so why not come and hassle you guys? [cheeky]

Especially since I missed Chris and Gwendy the last visit. ;)

[/Threadjack [cheeky]]
It's my thread so feel free to threadjack away for plans to rde here or hand out with DC folks.

Here's my schedule so everyone's on the same page: Nothing Friday night. Satirday morning emptying out the trailer for a hopefull Saturday afternoon run to Crownsville (near annapolis) to pick up Gwendy's scoot. Saturday night a friend's housewarming (which could be blown off if needed).

Gwendy works a 12 Sunday 7A to 7P. I have babysitting help in the morning to allow for riding/brunch/either. Sunday late afternoon/evening I have Aeryn so I can go out but it will be in the truck.

Monday night is a typical night out for us at a local joint for half price sandwiches and beer. I can usually be done in Court on Mondays by 4 pm.

Maybe I should work on the Saturday morning plan a little? Steve, if you're in Bmore already Friday night would you like me to see if Sat up here is workable so you can head a little south and hit the CAM crowd in DC later?

John... you reading this... what are your thoughts?

Chris

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Just puttin' it out there:

Reverned Horton Heat is playing in DC, a 10 pm show saturday night at the 9:30 club. A decent number of CAM'ers are planning to attend.

If you come up with some plan for saturday or sunday - let us know.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.