Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Technically a GPS will give you speed, distance, and location..........use the seat of your pants method for rpm.

The Garmin 276C would make a nice instrument panel.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
elmercurrie said:
OK, great information, now how do I remove/bypass the immobilizer?
Spend $700 and replace your ECU with an FIM U59. Then you can run any gauges you want.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Next question, has anybody tried separating the immobilizer electronics inside the gauge cluster from the gauge/dash cluster and tucking them away somewhere? Is it possible?

hmmmmmmmm, Elmer

Sound feasible, like it should work, but for me "historically" bright ideas sometimes end up in disaster.

D

·
0 Posts
Industrial_Grrrl said:
well it lists for $725 from FIM
I think that's $725AU (FIM is from downunder) so that's "only" about $550US...

Edit: Holy crap, I double ched on their site, and that price is in USD. Ouch.

D

·
0 Posts
Industrial_Grrrl said:
except it was listed "USD$725". Check for yourself. Wishful thinking it's $550

http://www.fuelinmoto.com.au/
Beat me by a minute, I just went to double check and you're right!

Ouch.

I guess there's always these guys: http://www.diyautotune.com/index.html

DIY, open-source based ECU. Seems cheap, but like all things open source "it's only cheap if your free time is worthless"

·
Registered
286 Posts
motogadget told me you have to keep the stock gauges on the later ones if you want to use theirs... same with
any of them... dakota digital makes some nice billet alum ones.

times like this i am glad i have an earlier one. add the 550 (shipping and duties) for the motogadget and plus another 200 for adapers and fabrication and you are looking at nearly 1500 to change gauges.. that is 10% percent of buying a new bike..... .. you got to really be sure of it..

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Next question, has anybody tried separating the immobilizer electronics inside the gauge cluster from the gauge/dash cluster and tucking them away somewhere? Is it possible?
I believe it's possible, but I won't be attempting it until January. I'm rebuilding a customer's 2003 Monster that was wrecked and the stock gauge cluster was badly damaged...BUT, the bike still ran (so the immobilizer worked). I'm going to try and fish out the circuitry involved, and seal it up in it's own little box and stuff it under the tank.

Pics, details, etc... in due time.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Keep me posted on that. I was planning on doing the same thing but I'm a little worried about ripping apart my gauges and screwing up the electronics. I' m stuck in Icrap (iraq) until Sept. so I have the luxury of waiting until you're done with your project to see if it works or not. Please keep me posted.

Elmer

1 - 20 of 41 Posts