Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone do this mod to your monster? any suggestions? Looking for adjustable shocks and radial brakes. Heard rumors of doing thisso any suggestions would be appericated.

Thanks

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
Ducati makes all the parts you need and they fit. I don't know about GSXR forks and brakes, but you may end up spending more on custom parts and machining than it would be to buy the Ducati stuff. Adjustable forks are a must and there are a lot options there (Showa SBK forks, Ohlins, S4 Monster). Radial brakes, not so much of a difference. A pair of 4 pad goldline Brembos and Braketech rotors with a radial master will get you 99.99% there.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Think a few people have done it. If I remember it's easier than you would think.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Paper5tr3et7 said:
Think a few people have done it. If I remember it's easier than you would think.
I think it is very similar to switching to Ducati SBK forks with regards to the triples. If you use a Suzuki wheel the job is done.
BTW, I'm going to move this to mods.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I'm doing this mod right now.
just got the forks in yesterday. haven't started trying to fit them up though.
do a search, there's quite a few threads on this subject.

·
Premium Member
2,089 Posts
silentbob said:
Ducati makes all the parts you need and they fit. I don't know about GSXR forks and brakes, but you may end up spending more on custom parts and machining than it would be to buy the Ducati stuff. Adjustable forks are a must and there are a lot options there (Showa SBK forks, Ohlins, S4 Monster). Radial brakes, not so much of a difference. A pair of 4 pad goldline Brembos and Braketech rotors with a radial master will get you 99.99% there.
Sure you can get ducati stuff, but used ducati stuff costs a whole bunch more than used suzuki stuff.

I'd assume if you had an entire front end from a gsxr it'd only be a matter of shimming/boring the triples, and you'd be good to go. Really not too bad.

Justin

·
Registered
917 Posts
good gsxr forks actually cost about the same as comparable showa superbike forks (if you're buying used). the big savings comes with the radial brakes.

the forks off of a late model gsxr are supposed to fit in the duc triples
the only problem is the spacing between forks is different, so you have to make axle and brake rotor spacers.

option B is a custom set of triple clamps, while using the gsxr forks and front wheel w/ stock gsxr spacing.

·
Premium Member
2,089 Posts
I've found making an axel is pretty cheap and easy. I've done a number of them for dirtbikes. So it shouldn't be a big problem to drop the gsxr forks right into the duc triples. Sure you'd have to space the brake calipers, but that's an easy task too.

Justin

·
Premium Member
2,089 Posts
Well you could be changing the rake of the front end then which can mean bad things, plus I wasn't under the impression that the stearing head for the duc and the skuzuki were the same, that'd be a lot more of a mod then modifying triples.

Justin

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
I have done this mod guys. Machining spacers and the axle sleeve nut is all you need.

For using the Ducati rim, the rotors need to be spaced out 7mm so you need 2 spacers 3.5mm. You can get the longer rotor bolts at www.racebolts.com

Use the Ducati triples for sure. The forks bolt right on and they are within a 1/4" of being the same length.

10mm spacers and longer bolts are needed to make the calipers work with the Brembo 320mm rotors. These along with the longer bolts are available at www.braketech.com

Use the GSXR axle and sleeve nut. The sleeve nut needs to be machined down (11.67mm in my case) and then depending if you have a Ducati 25mm speedo drive or not you need to even up the other side with 1 or 2 steel spacers.

I used Marchesini rims so widths may differ a little. Doublecheck with your own measurements first.

I have a CAD dwg as well if anyone would like.

Terrapete

p.s. with an Ohlins rear shock and these forks revalved for me the suspension is great and with a Brembo radial master cylinder, Galfer direct fit lines and HH pads, the brakes are even better!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Terrapete, great post! I tried to find the pictures but no luck ??? I am very interesed in the mod as well, could you post the pictures or include a link ?

Thanks

A

·
0 Posts
Terrapete:

Will the 2005 GSXR 750 forks fit? Also, do you know the measurements of the GSXR forks? I'm searching them now but thought I'd pose a question meanwhile.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
prince_ruben said:
Terrapete:

Will the 2005 GSXR 750 forks fit? Also, do you know the measurements of the GSXR forks? I'm searching them now but thought I'd pose a question meanwhile.

Thanks.
I believe the GSXR 750 and 600 forks will work. Even ZX6RR forks, R1 and CBR1000 are the same outer diameters. I have just posted on GSXR forks because I know they work.

PM me your email and I will send you a CAD dwg.

terrapete

1 - 15 of 15 Posts