Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

61 - 80 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
someguy said:
Propane is better for the work you're doing. Know that cloud of nice black smoke those kerosene heaters make when you start 'em? It's not helpful to paint adhesion.

When sanding filler, etc, remember to use your sense of touch, not your eyes to see if it's really smooth.
Actually you know what-it was a propane heater [laugh]. Used the grill tank. Duh!

My sense of touch is pretty keen. I've always been very artistic and done things with my hands, so their ability to pick up imperfections is pretty keen. Relying on sight for this project is tough anyway, because the tank is so many different shades of red and the filler is yet another color. It fools with your eyes, which is another reason why I want to prime the whole tank. It's much easier to see low spots when everything is the same color.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
hangin_biposto said:
Actually you know what-it was a propane heater [laugh]. Used the grill tank. Duh!

My sense of touch is pretty keen. I've always been very artistic and done things with my hands, so their ability to pick up imperfections is pretty keen. Relying on sight for this project is tough anyway, because the tank is so many different shades of red and the filler is yet another color. It fools with your eyes, which is another reason why I want to prime the whole tank. It's much easier to see low spots when everything is the same color.

Also a good way to do it.

And you'll find the remaining spots you somehow missed even though you didn't think it was possible after the final coat of paint is on. [cheeky]

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
It lives! ;D Wooooo hoo!

We started today by fitting my pipe up to the headers; they needed to be cut down to the right length to slip the pipe on, and I'm happy to say it fits like a dream. I can't wait to get it all painted black and put back on.

The pipe is an F1 pipe.

Once we had the pipes on and fitted, we were ready to roll her out into the snow and give starting her a go. With a peanut butter jar fuel cell and a little help from a battery buddy, we started to crank her over. At first it didn't seem like it was going to catch; it just cranked and cranked but wouldn't fire. Then it would crank and crank and sputter. Then after a few more tries it caught, and it was smoky as hell. I can smell the exhaust in my hair as I type this, but it's such an awesome smell. It's knowing that we didn't totally F* something up getting the jet kit in and the carbs back together. That smell also tells me that all the work we've done to it so far hasn't been in vain. I am totally psyched.

After it cleared out a bit and warmed up, we eased off the throttle and behold- it was running on its own. With no choke. In 35 degree weather. Carbs out of sync. And it was running damn well too. ;D And the pipe? It sounds freaking awesome. I was worried it was going to have that annoying pissed off bumble bee sound some 4 cylinders have, but it really has a nice ring to it. Did I mention I'm psyched?
We let it run until we were out of gas, and rolled it back in the garage with glee.

We changed the oil, which smelled of gas and was relatively icky. No surprise there. Turbodude wanted to turn it over a few times to get oil into the filter, so he hit the starter (with no fuel cell on the bike) and the damn thing fired right up! A little while ago it didn't want to run at all, and now you can't even roll it over a few times because it catches as soon as you poke the starter. I can't even tell you how well this thing runs [thumbsup]

Drained the float bowls in the carbs, fogged the cylinders, and tucked her in for the winter. *sigh*

My wonderful mechanic:

The very first photo in existence of me with my B4. Yippie!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
That's excellent!!! Following your progress has been really great! YOU GO GIRL!!! [clap] [thumbsup] [clap]

·
Registered
144 Posts
[thumbsup] AWESOME [thumbsup]. Bike is really coming along, keep up the good work :). I love the white wheels too!!

Are you going to stripping the bike down and painting the frame? Frame looks like it could use some TLC but maybe its just my eyes messing with me [laugh].

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
The wheels aren't staying white >:D

We will not be stripping the bike to do the frame at this point. A clean up and a touch up are all it's getting for the spring. I want to ride it for a while before I sink some serious time and energy into making the whole thing nice. Especially considering there's a good chance I'll drop it at some point and F* it all up again anyway while I'm learning to ride. The idea behind its current transformation is to make it look cool while still keeping it easy to repair should something happen to me/it while I'm still fresh.

Parhaps some day down the road when I get the jitters out of my rides I'll tear it all apart and start from scratch. A bike is never really done, after all ;)

·
Registered
144 Posts
hangin_biposto said:
The wheels aren't staying white >:D
:'( :'( :'( well it will be sad to see them go.

Good thinking though with not doing too much to the bike now, i'll get F'd up for sure [laugh]. We've all been there.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
gotmaster12 said:
:'( :'( :'( well it will be sad to see them go.
Until the first time I have to clean them. Then it won't be so sad [cheeky]
White looks nice for about 10 seconds. The you ride somewhere [laugh]

·
Registered
144 Posts
hangin_biposto said:
Hey Hey Hey I have white wheels thank you very much [cheeky] [laugh]. I am very proud of my 10 seconds [laugh]. You're right though, a bit tougher to keep clean but its alright because I always enjoy a good challenge ;) haha.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
gotmaster12 said:
Hey Hey Hey I have white wheels thank you very much [cheeky] [laugh]. I am very proud of my 10 seconds [laugh]. You're right though, a bit tougher to keep clean but its alright because I always enjoy a good challenge ;) haha.
The change from white won't exactly be subtle. ;)

·
Registered
100 Posts
lauramonster said:
That's excellent!!! Following your progress has been really great! YOU GO GIRL!!! [clap] [thumbsup] [clap]
Hey Laura does this look familiar?:

-Randy

·
Registered
100 Posts
Maybe, maybe not but that is the one and only.

Perhaps you don't recognize it without the contrail of blue smoke behind it.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
hangin_biposto said:
Weird, I've never had a problem cleaning my white rims....

;D

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Spray on wheel cleaner, rinse . Use a soft brush and the brake dust comes off very easy - without dirtying the rags you were gonna use to dry off the bike!! Takes hardly any time and they look GREAT!!! :eek:
The bike's lucky if I wash her once a month, and the white's no problem. (Truthfully, the part I dread most is waiting for the bike to cool down so I can wash it!!). The amount of looks for having a sharp bike is so much more than 30 minutes 3 times a year to clean her.

·
Registered
144 Posts
So Hangin, any new lately on the bike project??

You finish up that tank of yours yet?

Awesome that you got the bike up and running though! [thumbsup]
Can't wait to hear her run! or should I say purrr [laugh]

61 - 80 of 101 Posts