Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

My name's Graham, from Canada and I'm new to both riding (piloting, that is. Spent tons of time on the back of my Dad's Triumphs and BMWs growing up) and Ducatis. Motorcycles have run in my family since my great-grandfather purchased his first Sunbeam MK1 back in 1914. I've spent time on off-road bikes, but I am yet to be at the bars of a bike on the road. Now that I'm big and old enough to pilot a bike, I'm ready to get my hands on my own bike.

Throughout the next year and a half or so, I hope to obtain the sufficient licensing, experience, and knowledge of Ducatis to confidently buy my first bike, a 2009 Ducati Monster 696.

I hope that with the help of these forums, and all of you, I can achieve this!

Cheers

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Hello all,

My name's Graham, from Canada and I'm new to both riding (piloting, that is. Spent tons of time on the back of my Dad's Triumphs and BMWs growing up) and Ducatis. Motorcycles have run in my family since my great-grandfather purchased his first Sunbeam MK1 back in 1914. I've spent time on off-road bikes, but I am yet to be at the bars of a bike on the road. Now that I'm big and old enough to pilot a bike, I'm ready to get my hands on my own bike.

Throughout the next year and a half or so, I hope to obtain the sufficient licensing, experience, and knowledge of Ducatis to confidently buy my first bike, a 2009 Ducati Monster 696.

I hope that with the help of these forums, and all of you, I can achieve this!

Cheers
Welcome gblicq! Glad you're here.

Your off-road experience will be helpful but if at all possible, take a rider safety course before you buy a bike and don't skimp on safety gear. Good helmets are expensive but they cost less than a lifetime of disability because you cheaped out on a melon protector. Suggest you start investigating leathers before you buy a bike too.

Keep us posted on your bike buy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the warm welcome, MDO.

Unfortunately, in the area of Canada that I live in, the riding season isn't very long. It usually lasts between May and October. That said, I'm going to be taking my Manitoba Safety Council Motorcycle Training (Beginner and Intermediate training course) as soon as the snow melts. After reading some of the threads in the FAQ section, I've come to the conclusion that my initial idea of buying an inexpensive, used bike (Honda Rebel, Suzuki Bandit etc.) for my first riding season would be the best idea. That way I can get acquainted with riding on a 250 or 400 before I pick up the Monster the following season. Hopefully I'll be able to turn it over, and make some of my money back too.

My Dad has always stressed to me the importance of dressing for the fall, not the ride. I've been researching leathers, and helmets (probably Arai), boots, gloves, etc. If I'm prepared to shell out almost $10,000.00 for a bike + insurance, I might as well be responsible and splash some cash on the proper safety gear.

Thanks again for the response, and I'll be sure to keep the community updated on my progress.

Graham

1 - 3 of 3 Posts