Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings folks - Just joined your forum as a fairly new rider and a hopeful Monster owner! With only one year experience under my belt, I have been seriously looking at the M696 for my next bike. My husband thinks I should wait another year, but the more I see the bike, the more I scheme for it to be sooner (but I will also admit that I am looking at the Triumph Street Triple too... oops, I hope that wasn't a faux pas to openly say that here!!)
My husband and I were just at the dealership today and he admitted to me that the M696 is growing on him. I think his resistance to breaking down. hmmm.... maybe the Ducati will be parked in our garage sooner than I anticipate!!

Anyways, I would like to do more research and see if the M696 is a good fit for me. My biggest obstacle is my height (5'1") and I think the Monster would be the best bike for me to have lowered and maybe adjusted to fit my needs. Any suggests and recommendations would be totally appreciated. Would love to hear the sage words and thoughts from M696 owners of this bike!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hello! My wife and I just purchased Monsters 1100 and 696. We looked at the exact same bikes before settling on the Ducs. She is also your size. I'll ask her to post and give you her experiences.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Asian Heat,

What are you riding currently? I started on a 81 Honda CM200T, moved to a Suzuki GS500 which I had lowered and just bought my 696. I'm 5'1ish and have almost a 29" inseam and the street triple is noticeably larger. While talking mods with the sales manager, it would have to be lowered a good 2" before I could be comfortable riding it... even then I'd still be tiptoeing a bit. And it might compromise the suspension a bit. The monster does not currently have any lowering links available, but I've ordered the lower seat which will give me another 20mils. After that, if it's still not comfortable I'll have the forks adjusted. All this is taking place this week, so I can let you know how it works out! Be safe :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your posts PGHMonstro & Jescati! Truly makes me excited about my research on the M696 as it gives me such a goal for the year. I really want one in the stable before year end!

PGHMonstro: I look forward to hearing your wife's report on her M696 (was that a presumption that she gets the M696?? Maybe she's riding the 1100!! ;) ) This is exactly what I was hoping to get - some experience and suggestions from people who may have to make modifications to accommodate our height. Thanks, can't wait!

Jescati: I currently have an '09 Ninja 250 (and I do love her! She's nibble as hell!) I had the 250 lowered, but I think I'm going to get my husband to bring it back up one link to stop me from "flat footing" it for now (I wanted her lowered to the max because of our hilly areas). I think I'll try the one foot stops this summer.

As for the M696, we discussed it with the sales guy and we looked at working on the pre-load shock. I like the idea of the lower seat, so please let me know how that works out for you. My husband thought with the pre-load shock adjusted, it might help a little, but I would still need a little more as my inseam is only 27" - so the lower seat might do the trick too. Also, there is a pair of boots I am looking at that will give me about 3/4" without looking like orthopedic Frankenstein boots! (they are actually pretty decent looking boots with the lift). Only thing is that they are only available in Europe. Anyways... keep me posted, I really want to find out how you are liking the M696 (no doubt there) and how the mods feel to you! Again, can't wait for your input!!

Play hard and be safe!! Spring is just around the corner!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts