Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't really need one, but I'd like one. Yep, I love getting lost but it can sometimes take too long (gotta let the doggie out!). So if I had a GPS, I can still get lost but I can also find the quickest way home thereby giving Tun my dog some welcome relief.

I'd want something easy to read and use. It's also gotta be waterproof and ham fist proof (I'm pretty rough with my things, 4 ipods later...). Lastly, I want to be able to easily use with chunky riding gloves on. Oh, and I don't want to spend too much on it, say around $500 max.

So how about it folks. Whattaya like? What features should I be looking for?

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
I got a Garmin Quest from Ducati. It came complete with the bike mount. I have no idea if it works yet since Ducati just sent me the US software last week. I'll post pics when I get it on the bike!

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
I have the Garmin Quest (not the Ducati version)... 250 for the gps and 40 for the holder.. works great.....

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
theelmgren said:
I have the Garmin Quest (not the Ducati version)... 250 for the gps and 40 for the holder.. works great.....
This was the one I had my eye on. Where's you get it for such a great price?

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
I have an old Garmin Streetpilot III. they don't make that model anymore, it's kinda big, and kind slow to redraw maps. BUT........ It did get me from Houston, TX to Washington, D.C. last summer without incident, no bad ideas common sense couldn't see through, and no "wandering in the countryside." This included a 17 hour day on and off the blue ridge parkway and through some pretty nowhere parts of north carolina. You have to compare the features. The new zumo should be pretty cool, but it's still about $1k---way too much. they GPS 376 or 476 is about $500 at gpsonsale, gpscity, etc. a couple friends have that one and love it. it's faster. I would be hesitant to purchase a new GPS with a hard drive that did not also have some sort of flash memory option. Bikes shake.....hard drives.....well, you get the idea. I wouldn't mind parting with mine if I could find a good deal on one that I really wanted, but that hasn't happened yet.

also check out the Lowrance units.... kinda big, but they pretty much do everything and have multiple view angles and all that stuff.

don't know if any of that actually helped.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
I also have the Garmin Street Pilot III and as Davesax36 mentioned, it may be bit slower compared to the newer models but it has performed incredibly for the past 5 years.

Of special note was when I went from NY to Miami and then across to Phoenix. When I hit the tip of Florida, it took me 8 hours (with constant drenching rain) to get to Miami Beach and the SPIII never faultered. It worked great when some of the roads were flooded or backed up and got me going with alternate routes.

The large screen works great and the buttons are usuable with gloved hands.

All I need to do now is just get some updated maps (I think they go for $75).

I vote for Garmin with a RAM mount combo [thumbsup]

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
When I go off-roading I use my HP 4700 PDA with a TOMTOM Bluetooth GPS receiver. I use Ozi Explorer and CompeGPS for my off road excursions.. and whilst on tarmac I use the TOMTOM software.

On a motorcycle I've tried my friends TOMTOM Rider device and it works well.. very well if you have a bluetooth equipped helmet. Also it has a great mounting bracket and power cabling etc. However, the maps for Europe are a bit old.

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
goldenchild said:
This was the one I had my eye on. Where's you get it for such a great price?
I got it off pricegrabber.com a while back, now when the Quest II is out you should be able to pick up the older (version 1) dirt cheap)....

/H

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I did some searching and the best I came up with for the original Quest was $308 shipped. Not bad, but not $250 either.

·
Registered
444 Posts
The Garmin website lists their latest motorcycle specific beauty with all the bells and whistles. It will be out in the winter and costs $1100. I have found my christmas present!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts