Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

GPS on your Ducati

7K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  swankdaddy7 
#1 ·
I have Garmain Nuvi car GPS. I was wondering if I can get the charger to work on my bike. I have monster 696 2010. Any idea? I saw someone mounted GPS on their monster I just don't want to buy another GPS Zumo just for my bike. Any suggestion will be appriciated.

tc3tc

#2 ·
Yes, you can. Buy a car cigarette lighter component(female)with electrical wires(+ -) attached to it in you local hardware. Your existing charger will then be routed to it. If you want it permanently hooked to the bike's battery, then you need two "eye connectors" for the wires. You can then route the wire from the battery to your handlebars or where you want your Sat Nav to hold. Search You Tube for comprehensive tutorial :) If you have a bike alarm(that sweet thing that sends messages to your fone when some chap tries to mount the bike)...it's charger also fits my Garmin.

#3 ·
Check out CycoActive. They have everything you will need to setup your GPS. I recommend using the Ram mounts since they are very adjustable and leave almost to trace on the bike when the GPS is off. The only concern you might have is the possible lack of water resistance of the Nuvi. I am not sure if the Nuvi's are water resistant, but if they are not you would want to take that into account when using the GPS on your bike. Even a light rain hits the GPS pretty hard when you are doing 50+ mph.

#4 · (Edited)
Check out CycoActive. The only concern you might have is the possible lack of water resistance of the Nuvi. .
Use a cheap solution: Condom. Yes, you read it right :) Wrap the navigator and you're ready to roll. That's what I get from scrolling the pages of You Tube on the wee hours of the morning with lots of beer on hand. Anyway here's what I've mentioned yesterday...bike alarm charger used as a substitute for the real Garmin car charger that hooks on your lighter knob.
http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo246/zetec521/DSC00110.jpg
http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo246/zetec521/DSC00111.jpg?t=1264655105

and if you don't want to buy new expensive stuff for the GPS(handle bar holder,etc),here's what you gonna do: Use your existing navigator plastic pod and place it at the center part of the tank farthest from you(might not work on your tank.I have this set-up on my CB600f Honda Hornet). Be wary though that this will be permanently attached to the tank,hehehe. Then you can now use the very same gps holder/neck with suction from your car. Don't worry, I've been using that sucker at speeds at excess of 160kph. No issues. Perhaps the small cluster fairing on the Hornet has substantially deflect the rushing wind.
http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo246/zetec521/DSC03536-1.jpg?t=1264655709

By the way, when I'm on a holiday in the Philippines(where my monster sleeps and only sees the light of day 60 days a year :-( )...I don't need a GPS to ride around. You can find your way through smell. Kidding....
http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo246/zetec521/DSC03025.jpg?t=126465606
That's my tattoed Scottish ride buddy, George. I'm the one taking the shot.

#5 ·
Well, seems like lots of good ideas. Here's what I did. I had the small tank bag that Ducati sells for the 696. I bought a cigarette lighter socket at Radio Shack and then cut and spliced wires from the lighter socket to the same type of lead that my Battery Tender uses. I then placed the Nuvi inside the clear plastic portion of the tank bag and ran the connector for the Nuvi from the interior compartment of the tank bag up to the clear plastic pouch on the top. I can then simply plug the connector to the cigarette lighter wires directly into the lead from my battery where the Battery Tender attaches and I now have power for the Nuvi. Pretty cheap and simple way to have a GPS on your 696. Also nice to have the small tank bag for other small items.

#8 ·
Do you know if I could use treaded holes from original mirrors to attach Ram mount instead of loop bracket?

#11 ·
30910M was the part number at Techmounts. It was a handlebar mount (7/8 to one inch). I just typed that part number into their website and nothing came up so maybe they have tweaked their part numbers. I just bought it six weeks ago. It looks like their standard handlebar mount, but mine has a rectangular mounting base rather than round.

The Ram mount I bought at a booth at the bike show in NYC. The guy pulled out two sizes and the smaller one fit my Droid better. The larger size may fit a big GPS better. It has two cushioned pads on each side that squeeze against the phone and "click" to lock in. Then you just hit a button to release them. The nice thing was that the screw holes on the Ram mount lined up perfectly with the holes on the tech mount rectangular mounting base. It was very straightforward to connect the two.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.