Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for input on a gps mount for my 2009 Ducati M696. I have the new Garmin Nuvi 1200. Someone recommended the TECHMOUNT system for the Ducati and I see that it fits but it doesn't say how the GPS units are connected and which ones it is compatible with.

I am looking at this one: http://www.techmounts.com/products/?page_function=detail&product_id=149

Any opinions on this model or any models that would be good for my bike and the tiny GPS that I bought (3.7" x 3")?

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
I have the Garmin Quest with the Techmount on both my S4RS and 996. The setup works really well and looks clean. The cradle and wiring for the Quest is made specifically for that model and wires directly to the battery. The cradle bolts directly to the Techmount.

I would think Garmin or another manufacturer make a motorcycle cradle and wiring for the Nuvi as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
A very low tech solution would be to place the unit in the top pouch of your tank bag where you could see it thru the clear plastic of the tank bag. Not very high tech, but it would be a simple way to have your GPS viewable without having to mount any brackets to your bars. It would also keep the GPS unit safe from being stolen as you would carry it inside in your tank bag at work, etc. (I know I'm going to be ragged on for this suggestion...) :p

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've never mounted on my monster but have gps's on my other 2 bikes. I'd suggest going to cyclegadgets.com and asking them. Good folks and will have the correct answer. Probably some type of ram mount will connect to the mount you posted. If you don't already have the gps, I'd suggest getting one that is more suited to a bike.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Ram mounts are best.
I threw out the one that came with my Garmin. Total garbage, crap design, crap materials. They give you a freaking steel u-bolt to attach it to your handle bars, which mars the aluminum if you actually tighten it down. It's ridiculously big, doesn't stay put, and looks like crap. The only mount worth spending money on that I've seen is a Techmount. I have the older style one. The newer ones look even more compact.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I don't use the u bolts. I use the gas tank mount or brake res. Mount.

The u bolt doesn't work that well. Tech mount cost way too much.

·
Registered
302 Posts

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Gilley, the Techmount unit looks like the cleanest way to mount the GPS although it is very pricey. RAM makes a bracket for your GPS that has mounting holes to attach to the plate on the Techmount. +1 for using the battery tender adapter so you can use the stock Garmin power cord.

btw, I bought one of my Ducatis from a guy in Sandy Hook, CT. He was a Ducati mechanic at Cliff's before they sold to Max BMW.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Tech mount cost way too much.
The RAM is about $35, the Tech Mount is twice that. I don't know about you but $70 for a mount when the GPS unit costs $800 isn't that big of a deal. Especially when it makes a huge difference in how well you can use the damn GPS unit. The RAM mount is garbage top to bottom. I'd recommend anyone that is shopping to go someplace and get your hands on both products. Careful not to let the nylon tape under the rubber ball on the RAM mount peel off, the store might make you buy it ...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts