Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched for the old GPS link and could only come up with "speedo error" links.

I found a good deal on a Magellan Sportrak Pro and was giving it some serious thought.

Seems however that it will not draw a route between waypoints and highlight it.

I think what I want to do is simple and obvious, but I'm Googling my @ss off and having a great deal of difficulty figuring out how to do it.

Simple:
1. use a PC map program to plan a route with promising twisties.
2. mouse-click on waypoints to define the ride
3. download the waypoint list to a hand-held GPS
4. display the route in a format like a "highlighted" map (or AAA Triptik if you've ever used one), showing waypoints, current position and the roads of the route highlighted to give some perspective to the progress and next turn.

I don't want to have to use one program to find a route, another to get coordinates for my waypoint and a third to download.

I don't want a GPS unit that just displays an arrow pointing to the next waypoint (even if it does show a map as well). That would be meaningless on a windy road.

Anyone have any ideas? Is the technology available for this yet? Remember, I want a $200 handheld, not a [email protected] dashboard mounted car unit!

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Don,
I don't know d!ck about GPS, but the guys over on advrider.com would be able to square you away, I think.

Sarah76 hangs out over there, now that she's defected to a BMW. Send her a PM, if you like, she may be able to point you to a particular GPS guru. Tell her Nick sent you. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
My GPS V will do that (at least as I understand what you want to do), but it's about $400

Here's a pretty good review of the GPS V, including info on how route are entered into the unit.
http://gpsinformation.net/gps5/g5review.htm

I agree with hitting up advrider.com. There are some real GPS geeks over there (even some Ducati types), not just amatuer geeks like me...

--Fillmore

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It seems that what I need is "automatic route generation." That's the function that plots a course on the roads resident in the internal map based on a set of waypoints input.

The handheld (pocket sized) units I'm looking at do not appear to suppport that function as they are largely for hiking, mountain biking, sailing. i.e. not road-locked activities.

The risk with autorouting is that the map the handheld generates may not be the one the PC program made for me (unless they're based on the same map which is to say I'd need to use software made by the GPS vendor). I know that when I've generated ride maps on MapQuest, I'd sometimes put in a waypoint and find that the program did not take the road I wanted to ride on. So I'd go back and add an intermediate waypoint to force it. If I didn't find out about the mistake until after downloading, that'd be a PITA.

Problem is, these things are not made to help someone link together particular roads. They try to do the fast or shortest distance between two points which is generally unsatisfying.

The GPS V is bigger that I want. May have to wait a year or two yet.

The new handhelds have 12 channel recievers, 3m resolution, they're less than 6" long and weigh under 1/2 lb. If they'd autoroute, I'd be all set!

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm

Just checked out the Garmin V on their site.

Seems it's not terribly big. That triangular cross section seems a bit clunky compared to other handhelds, but overall size and weight are pretty competetive. The batteries last twice as long as the Magellan Sportrak; that's worth an ounce!

Guess the price just isn't where I want to be. $400 is more than I want to pay for that kind of toy. I've got a map pocket on my Marsee tank bag.....

·
Registered
366 Posts
Don,

Couple of thoughts. I've used a mapping GPS on my bikes with great success.

1. You're probably not going to like the autorouting choices, especially if you want to link twisties.
2. All the mapping GPS units have a variety of display choices.
3. My experience says that you wouldn't like the highlighted map at speed in the twisties. The displays are small unless you zoom way, way in. In most cases you will follow the raod for quite a while. A typical arrow display will also show time to next waypoint, distance to next waypoint, distance off track etc. These will all be big enough to check in a glance.
4. Make sure the GPS and your GPS mapping program are compatible, otherwise it will be more work to insert waypoints.
5. Be careful, mapping routes with a PC and GPS rapdily becomes addictive. Next thing you know, you'll want topo maps as well. It goes down hill from there. ;D

I searched for the old GPS link and could only come up with "speedo error" links.

I found a good deal on a Magellan Sportrak Pro and was giving it some serious thought.

Seems however that it will not draw a route between waypoints and highlight it.

I think what I want to do is simple and obvious, but I'm Googling my @ss off and having a great deal of difficulty figuring out how to do it.

Simple:
1. use a PC map program to plan a route with

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I'm thinking of buying a remanufactured Garmin streetpilot because of the larger screen and cost as a starter GPS device. I know it is not as sophisticated as the GPS V but what kind of downside am I looking at with the Streetpilot (B&W screen ?, PC compatibility?, creating routes?). TIA cdc

1 - 8 of 8 Posts