Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I'm currently a rice burner with an ascot, and a magna, thinking of crossing over. I love my flat tracker, and this looks a hell of a lot like my ascot with cooler frame and body work..

I'm interested on opinions on maintenance and reliablity. How often do you have to make repairs, Head gaskets, Base gaskets. Major engine work.

Is "italian reliability" what its crocked up to be. Aside from the regular 2500 mile valve job what have you had to do.

Would you be more inclined to pay 8k for a new one or 4k for a used one, but not know the history..

Thanks for hte help.!

·
Registered
849 Posts
Only problem I've had over the last 9k miles was a blown fork seal. It was replaced under warranty. The really big difference to my Japanese bikes was when I crashed it. Similar damage cost $800.- to repair on the R6, while it hiked the Ducati bill up to $15.000.- (granted, I didn't actually spend that much to fix it, but that was the quote I got; I spent about $2.5k to fix it, but that does not yet include the tank and my rearsets are now a color mis-match).

-R.

G

·
I think the parts from ducati are way high, but most parts are available aftermarket or used (interchangeability is pretty good compared to rice bikes). I would buy parts from ducati as a last resort.

The ducs are maybe a little bit more fussy, but are relly very simple to work on. The dealers seem to blow things out of proportion with mystery and voodoo so they can charge more. I personally find the monster very satisfying to own and a blast to ride. I have spent a lot of time with asian bikes over the years, but have never felt as attached (except for maybe Kawasaki Triples, and they are far more fussier than any ducati ever)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts