Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was annihilated by my lil brother's 5.0 Coupe today.... I was surprised by how bad he beat me!!

Am I pretty maxed out on my performance potential? given my mods below?

R

·
0 Posts
Was it from a dead stop? A car in motion has a better chance of winning. What does the car have done to it?

H

·
0 Posts
You really haven't done much in the way of "performance" mods.
Mostly stuff to make the bike more comfortable and better looking.
If you're talking about from a dead stop, drop a 14 tooth front sprocket in. Maybe even go up 1 tooth in the rear.(you will lose top speed).If you're talking about a roll on race, sprockets aren't gonna do much for you.(unless you're in 1st gear)

·
Registered
849 Posts
Which Coupe are you referring to?
A 5.0, bro. A 351-equipped 'Stang.

That's a terrible vehicle to get beaten by, no? :-[ Was it a hopped-up Cobra and in the tripple digits, at least? Can't remember those cars to be that fast...

-R.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Scott, kind of a discrepancy there.... CETME was runnin' a 750, and you have an S4... different torque, HP ratings

D

·
0 Posts
I got envovled in a psuedo-street race one night with a late model mustang GT when I still had my bone stock M800.

We were sitting at a red light and he lit up his tires when the light turned green, so I took off and got a couple of car lengths ahead of him and let up to mess with the guy a little. All of a sudden he straightened out a set of esses and forced me onto the shoulder as he got a little squirrelly.

I don't see how many cages could keep up with a bike off the line, but from a roll-on...maybe. Either way, if the race is close, I usually bug-out. If either one of you make a mistake, its your a$$. And I doubt there are many people willing to stick around to see if you are still breathing if it means running the risk of an accessory charge.

chris

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
.... or you can always bug out at aournd 65 mph or so... did that once and the guy blew by me so fast he didn't see the patrol officer clocking him... he ended up getting a ticket.

R

·
0 Posts
I only lost one race to a car on the street. But I have yet to race anything with my Monster. All my races have been on my R1's and V Max's. With the R1's your average Mustang never stood a chance off the line.
The one car I lost was against a Supra Turbo making over 500 hp. It was not pretty. We race like 6 times. All were ugly. The only race I stood a chance of winning was off a dead stop. All roll on races I never got passed his rear wheel. And these races saw indicated speeds of 175 plus mph. The faster the roll on start was, the worse he got me. The one race I ever lead in was from a dead start. We started at 100 mph also and he pulled away like I was barely moving.
I know it was stupid. I was younger. I have learned since then. I was in Dallas for a couple of months and fell into a fast but insane crowd.
I doubt I will win with my S4R. The bike is fast, but it can't touch my old R1. Its about as fast as my V Max. BUt handles much better. But I still think it will kill the average Mustang.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I took my bike out on christmas day. No cars anywhere great to stretch my bike's legs. I pulled off the freeway and some old guy with his 18 year old love slave in a red Ferraii wanted to race me. I smoked his ass. I think I got lucky, he had trouble going through the gears. The car still had paper plates, he gave up at 120mph. I went home smiling. I think my 750 could take a stand.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Of course you're correct, and I'm wrong. Thanks for pointing that out, John. Been too long since I've messed with V8s, weems like :-[

I took my cool SAE wrenches out of my tool kit yesterday and stored them away. Couldn't remember when I used them the last time (must've been on the old 455 'Lark) :'(

-R.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I dont know how fast the 750 is but mustangs are not fast cars. You should be smokin that thing. Ive done alot of car embarrasing and mustang drivers seem to be gluttons for punishment. I raced a brand new Vette with my cruiser (Yamaha Warrior) and had him good and beat untill about 80-90 I raced a viper on the same bike but he handed me my butt. These are the kinda cars that should be givin you a run. I havent raced my M944 but I think the hardest part will be keeping the front wheel down on the launch.
When I had my ZX6R I would get beat for the first 40ft. but once the bike got over 8000rpm it was bye bye cages.

M

·
0 Posts
yeah off line you shouldnt lose to a stang unless you let him. It takes some ugly amounts of power to get the power/weight ratio of a bike. Lot of steel to get moving. On a roll-on its a whole different story. Car already has momentum. I remember some vids of a turbo lexus down in Austin TX racing a Hayabusa. Roll ons were ugly until about 160 when the busa would be starting to catch up

·
Registered
99 Posts
Re: Smoke more...

My brother-in-law has an '03 Cobra (SVT) Mustang that is horribly fast. The motors are all carefully (non-production line, I believe) built, numbered and carry SVT team signatures. I swear it's one of the fastest cars I've ever seen off the line. I've never raced it, but I'm sure it would embarass my M750. It even sounds cooler (almost!) That said, it's still a CAGE.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
If you want some good 'stang racing - come out my way. I live, in the sticks, about 20 miles from the Louisville Ford plant and a ton of people work there - familys and relatives can get cars on the A-Plan - I gues they are way cheaper - so everybody and their grandmother has a mustang - so there is no shortage of di*ks to race, I love when the mighty V-6 mustang thinks he can beat a Ducati ;D I don't go looking for them, but they always seem to find me. I usually just laugh and ignore them - racings 8 points off of the licence here I've only got 4 to spare - ha!

Oh yeah I feel I should add this about the place I live - I know it sounds great - 'stang races everyday - well I get this question a lot from the locals "Ducati, hum..... that's made by honda right, I used to know a guy who had one, pretty little bike."

1 - 20 of 52 Posts