Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got tagged the for passing on the right . .
Was on hwy 299 upstate NY new paltz on a sunday night, two way road each lane going opposite direction E & W. I passed a car or two on the right where there were no parked cars to my right and next thing I know I see flashing lights behind me!
It was a motocycle cop, had everything legit, papers license and he wrote me the ticket.
He's says you passed in front of four police officers in a parking lot and one being a commanding officer, He claims if his CO wasn't there he normally wouldn't of written me a ticket. rather a warning .
Should i get a lawyer or just pay the ticket?

any advice would help, from those with experience with the man . .

·
Registered
67 Posts
Now that's funny Monstercase.... Don't you guy's drive on the LEFT anyways And pass on the right?

·
Registered
137 Posts
In the states where I've checked, the law usually says you cannot cross the white line to do this; some also say you must first stop.

If you already got the ticket, I'd just pay it. No judge is going to listen to you claiming the cop gave the ticket due to peer pressure. It's been tried.

Beyond that...Ah New Paltz. I do love the Gunks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Pay up sucker...

it sucks but there it is.
You should always keep your eyes and head moving. If you'd been looking you might have seen the FOUR cops in the parking lot and thought twice about it.
I live in CA where splitting lanes on the freeway (lane sharing) is legal. its not, however, legal to do in town. EVERYONE does it mind you, but its not really legal. Soooo when I do it I am ALWAYS looking for cops. If I see one I move into the lane of traffic until safely passed and no longer in view.

That's a good first ticket IMO... better than exhibition o speed, menacing, reckless endangerment.... don't ask...:rolleyes:

Keep riding!
Jeremy

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
its not, however, legal to do in town. EVERYONE does it mind you, but its not really legal.
Really? That's news to me. I thought it was fine anywhere, as long as you didn't go more than 10 mph faster than the cars you're passing.

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
I think a good first ticket would have been for doing a wheelie! Passing on the right is pretty lame. Never heard of that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts