Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I put some aftermarket blinkers on my '03 620 and the world ended. I'm hoping someone here can tell me what I did wrong.

I got some little LED blinkers by Shock Racing from the local bike parts shop. The girl there said they were universal and should work on my bike. The packaging says that they are made for 12 volt, 23 watt systems. I only got one pair as I planned to replace the rears and simply remove the front blinkers. The only electrical mods my bike has is a PCIII.

When I put them on the rear (with front blinkers still on) my tail-light immediately blew out (both filaments). This is not the first time the tail-light has blown. I have to replace it about once a year, which is too often in my book. Anyway, the blinkers blink normally for a second and then blink really fast (isn't this a warning sign of something?). This is the same with the front blinkers removed as well.

So, what did I do wrong? Is my system not a 12 volt, 23 watt system? Are LED lights inappropriate for my bike? Can the system handle not having front blinkers?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

·
Registered
704 Posts
you need a resistor, or something like that.

try a search on "my new blinkers dont work" or similar.

i tried those a few years back and gave up in frustration :p

·
Registered
541 Posts
resistors, one for each light on the rear......autoparts or cycle shops.....go child.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What size resistor for each side? I can't find a wiring diagram with recommended values on it, so I don't know how much juice to trim off. I like the aesthetics of these blinkers and would like to keep them if I can figure out how to make it work.

Wanwo said:
Buy a set with resistors included. A good set is surprisingly expensive.
Do you have any recommendations for brands or sources?

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found this:

http://www.ducatimonster.org/smf/index.php?topic=35075.0

Which seems to be pretty helpful. I think I understood it until I got to the drawing at the very end. Then I got a bad case of "duh..." and "huh?" Wouldn't it be parallel to do this:

+ ----------|-----------|
| |
resistor LED
| |
- ----------|-----------|

With my voltmeter I read 1.8ohms resistance from the stock blinkers, but can't get a reading on the LEDs! They apparently have either less resistance than the voltmeter leads touching together or the LEDs have infinite resistance. :p I don't get it. Maybe I'm just using the voltmeter wrong?

Thanks.

·
Registered
541 Posts
just buy one from a cycle shop plug in and get riding.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Manny said:
I found this:

http://www.ducatimonster.org/smf/index.php?topic=35075.0

Which seems to be pretty helpful. I think I understood it until I got to the drawing at the very end. Then I got a bad case of "duh..." and "huh?" Wouldn't it be parallel to do this:

+ ----------|-----------|
| |
resistor LED
| |
- ----------|-----------|

With my voltmeter I read 1.8ohms resistance from the stock blinkers, but can't get a reading on the LEDs! They apparently have either less resistance than the voltmeter leads touching together or the LEDs have infinite resistance. :p I don't get it. Maybe I'm just using the voltmeter wrong?

Thanks.
Parallel it is, and should be!

LED stands for Light Emitting DIODE. and a diode only lead the current in one direction,
so when using your voltmeter you will not get a resistans reading (or a VERY high maybe 10M). when you measure in one direction. change the leads and try again then maybe you will get a reading. it depends on your voltmeter. if you have diodtest on your meter try that, but not even then its sure you get a reading because leds have a higher volt over them than "standard "diodes. plus a blinker will have a build in resistor to keep the current down otherwise the led will go POOF.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Keld said:
Parallel it is, and should be!

LED stands for Light Emitting DIODE. and a diode only lead the current in one direction,
so when using your voltmeter you will not get a resistans reading (or a VERY high maybe 10M). when you measure in one direction. change the leads and try again then maybe you will get a reading. it depends on your voltmeter. if you have diodtest on your meter try that, but not even then its sure you get a reading because leds have a higher volt over them than "standard "diodes. plus a blinker will have a build in resistor to keep the current down otherwise the led will go POOF.
Ah. Thanks.

Radio Shack had some 8 ohm, 20 watt resistors. I wired one in parallel to each rear blinker. It looks a little shady but, it works! Between you guys and Google anything is possible. [thumbsup] Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts