Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After much considering, I don't think I am going to get a monster. Yes, they are really cool bikes but I want to get something that is comfortable to ride with my wife and myself.

Now I am searching for that perfect bike. Triumph comes to mind but I feel that their product line is mirroring Harley D. and that there is no interest in them (why buy a Triumph when you can have a H.D.).

For kicks, I am going to check out a Royal Enfield tomorrow. Why? Because they look damn cool and no one has one. I really like the "classic" looks of bikes and instead of buying a restored one, I can just get this. Yes, I know the quaility isn't the greatest but they sure get looks and riding 2 up should be no problem. The only problem is that I will be in maintenance hell if I buy one.

R.E. was originally British but they sold their production to India (R.E. was having the Indians make most of the parts and decided to sell it to them). Here is a couple of pictures that look cool. Let me know what you think.

I have a feeling you guys will hate it. Oh yeah, they cost $4k.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/

http://www.royalenfield.com/

Frank

T

·
0 Posts
Bikes are a very personal choice; but, R.E. or Triumph = the perfect bike ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

·
Registered
668 Posts
After much considering, I don't think I am going to get a monster. Yes, they are really cool bikes but I want to get something that is comfortable to ride with my wife and myself.

Now I am searching for that perfect bike. Triumph comes to mind but I feel that their product line is mirroring Harley D. and that there is no interest in them (why buy a Triumph when you can have a H.D.).

For kicks, I am going to check out a Royal Enfield tomorrow. Why? Because they look damn cool and no one has one. I really like the "classic" looks of bikes and instead of buying a restored one, I can just get this. Yes, I know the quaility isn't the greatest but they sure get looks and riding 2 up should be no problem. The only problem is that I will be in maintenance hell if I buy one.

R.E. was originally British but they sold their production to India (R.E. was having the Indians make most of the parts and decided to sell it to them). Here is a couple of pictures that look cool. Let me know what you think.

I have a feeling you guys will hate it. Oh yeah, they cost $4k.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/

http://www.royalenfield.com/

Frank
Go for it.

ps.
did You ever test ride Monster ?

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
that Royal Enfield is actually a brand new old bike. they are still using the tooling from the origional Silver Bullets. therefore you can expect old bike reliability, handling, and braking (can you say whoa, Nellie!). i do like it, but you must realize what you are buying. i would consider it a great second bike.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
i frequently see a guy out here with an enfield. its
very loud in a rattly kind of way. not a good sound
to the ear of an engineer. and my guess is that its
WAY underpowered .... certainly no good for 2-up.
if at all possible, try before you buy.

H

·
0 Posts
Triumph mirroring H.D.?

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I think the RE looks cool, but the power is so low that I doubt you'd realistically be able to ride 2 up. Take a look at the Triumph Thruxton.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Go lay down, maybe it will pass, then you can go buy your monster and enjoy. There's really nothing like it. 8) Norm and Herb are right, if you must get something else buy the speedmaster or thruxton. Both of those are great bikes.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
If I wanted a non HD sport cruser right now, I would look at a Victory Vegas. They get good reviews, are built in USA, and I think look great.

mitt

·
Banned
551 Posts
Enfields are cool in a way. But not in a way that I would suspect would be good for a relative noob (which I am assuming you are).

Old bikes - made new - can last, but are not at all forgiving. Brakes and acceleration are back in the 50's. Those are the two things that can save you on a bike - so if you can't finesse everything there is to get out of this bike, I don't know if it is a good first purchase.

Plus - like you said, dealer network/ service could be a problem unless you can do it all yourself. either that - or find a decent lawnmower repairman. Basic bikes.

But like everyone is saying - it is a very personal choice - testride as much as possible. I see a guy on a new RE around here kinda often - he's got knobbies on it - and it looks cool - but don't know who it is best suited for.

Good luck.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Some random quotes from over at powersportsnetwork: Though some people find it appealing....22 horsepower, I can't see that pulling really well two-up, but I'm just a noob.

It

·
Registered
221 Posts
AHHHHHHHH!!!! what? for the record, the Monster with a Corbin seat is just find on the back...so says the wife.

Royal enfield? i mean seriously...you are joking right? they are different looking i guess, there is something cool there...maybe?

I also think that is the first time in the history of man that Trimph and Harley have been put into the same category of anything.

I passed up on the 749 because i wanted to ride 2-up as well. It isn't great for a 4 hour ride, but nice little 100-150 mile round trips it is great. I think if the monster doesn't fit you bill, a more logical 2-up european bike would be BMW, or Guzzi.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I agree with most of the others. Take another look at the Triumphs. At a demo day I got to check out the Speed Master, Bonneville, Speed Four and Daytona. All of them were very, very nice. I also take my friend's Speed Triple out from time to time. So I have gotten plenty of time on them and can't really say anything bad about them. Good bikes at a good price.

I'd get a Bonneville before a Royal Enfield.......

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Funny, I read those same quotes on another message board.

Well from what I understand, these bikes are now made with CNC machines which add to the quality they were lacking a few years back. As far as two up riding, I have contact a few owners and they have no problems riding double.

I know this bike is low in HP but it makes that up in torque. If you could keep the rear wheel down, it should be able to pull out stumps. It's top speed is 75mph.

According to this "blog", the rider and his wife went on a 100 mile journey with no problems. His bike was just broken in:
http://rebullet.tripod.com/johnsroyalenfieldbulletpage/id6.html

I'm not trying to justify this bike; I'm going to check it out and have an open mind. I am trying to get something vintage, looks cool, and offer's 2 up riding. There's not much out there unless I want to spend 12K.

Later,
Frank

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I never would've guessed these were made in India. I was there for 2 weeks and never saw one. They were all riding Hondas.

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
Have you seen what the Brits say about these bikes? And it's a British bike! I'm all for nostalgia, but there are way better bikes out there for what you want to do. Look at the Triumph - lovely!

·
Banned
551 Posts
I have never seen an Indian on one - just the English. There was this program on Discovery I think if a couple of English lads that bought RE in India and rode them back to London. Obviously one of the guys was a RE Mechanic. You can make long trips on one - as long as you bring the mechanic with you.

I think most people would agree $4K is alot of money for that bike. But like everyone is saying - there are alot of bikes out there - you will settle on something.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have never seen an Indian on one - just the English. There was this program on Discovery I think if a couple of English lads that bought RE in India and rode them back to London. Obviously one of the guys was a RE Mechanic. You can make long trips on one - as long as you bring the mechanic with you.

I think most people would agree $4K is alot of money for that bike. But like everyone is saying - there are alot of bikes out there - you will settle on something.
The reason you dont see many indians on this bike is, due its size and weight there is a wide spread opinion across India saying that only a guy atleast of height 5'11" and about 190-200lbs can handle this beast. Also another thing is the mileage these bikes give. One of the least... well atleast in the past. So not the most economical bike as opposed to honda's which offer about 43 miles/ltr of "petrol".
Riding in India is not for passion/fun/hobby but mainly to get from point A to point B. So Enfield is outplayed by the japs :).

1 - 20 of 37 Posts