Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,011 Posts
good write up.

i was initially underwow'd by the styling, but i have to say it gets sexier each time i look at it.

(i was never underwow'd by the performance spec's, though. ;))
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,284 Posts
Oh man, does anyone want to buy my R6 for $30K so I can get myself into a 1098s? You get extra forks with the R6!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45,105 Posts
tsd345 said:
Oh man, does anyone want to buy my R6 for $30K so I can get myself into a 1098s? You get extra forks with the R6!
No, but I am giving serious consideration to a home equity loan for one. Nothing like a tax deductible motorcycle payment :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
From what I understand, the DDS is available as an option on the base 1098...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
322 Posts
"dislikes...brakes may be too powerful for the street."

[clap]

yeah, that's a real bummer of an issue you got there. "i was going to get the ducati, but i felt it performed TOO well on the street. so i got the honda instead."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
Minor quibbles.

MD isn't the first to have stated this in their reviews. Other magazines and sites have printed similar statements.

If you've ridden any late model-radial Brembo equipped Ducati's, there is a grain of truth to this.

In an emergency stop situation, especially in poor traction/wet surfaces, the fierce initial bite can be too much of a good thing. Especially for newer riders or those unaccustomed to the power of the braking systems on modern sportbikes. I think one or two listers on this forum might have some firsthand experience with this. :-\
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
Tam 212 said:
Minor quibbles.

MD isn't the first to have stated this in their reviews. Other magazines and sites have printed similar statements.

If you've ridden any late model-radial Brembo equipped Ducati's, there is a grain of truth to this.

In an emergency stop situation, especially in poor traction/wet surfaces, the fierce initial bite can be too much of a good thing. Especially for newer riders or those unaccustomed to the power of the braking systems on modern sportbikes. I think one or two listers on this forum might have some firsthand experience with this. :-\
Oh come on, get real! If you can't handle the radail/ Brembos, get a different bike, or learn to ride!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
If you say so.

If a former factory tester, AMA 250cc GP racer and Suzuka 8 hour rider says the brakes are a bit extreme for a street bike, I would tend to take note and keep an open mind regarding possible outcomes for riders with less experience and/or skill.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,089 Posts
chopperbill said:
Riders with less experience and/or skill have no business on this bike.
That's kind of a broad statement
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45,105 Posts
I've ridden a late-model radial-Brembo equipped Ducati and I think that's bullshit.

Yes, if you use four fingers and grab a handfull on the street then you're SOL. But that's not how these brakes were meant to be. I like one finger stoppies.

If I panic and lock the front then you can say "I told you so."

For years the magazines have said give us better brakes.. stronger with more feel.

The brakes on the s4rs are not overly sensitive and don't have a touchy initial bite but they are hell-for-strong and have tons of feel.

If the 1098 brakes feel the same or better then fantastic.

Mushier brakes to better suit the average rider? No thank you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
Statler said:
I've ridden a late-model radial-Brembo equipped Ducati and I think that's bullshit.

Yes, if you use four fingers and grab a handfull on the street then you're SOL. But that's not how these brakes were meant to be. I like one finger stoppies.

If I panic and lock the front then you can say "I told you so."

For years the magazines have said give us better brakes.. stronger with more feel.

The brakes on the s4rs are not overly sensitive and don't have a touchy initial bite but they are hell-for-strong and have tons of feel.

If the 1098 brakes feel the same or better then fantastic.

Mushier brakes to better suit the average rider? No thank you.
[thumbsup]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
The S4RS brakes look the same as those on the 1098. The S4RS radial front brakes are the best brakes I have ever had on any of 40 plus motorcycles I have owned. Last week traveling 80-85mph a car quickly pulled out of a driveway and surprised me. I grabbed the the front brake lever very hard and the forks about bottomed but I maintained control and was stopped in time. The tactile sense of these brakes is amazing but you need to remember your not on another bike so it just takes a little getting used to. I would never want a less powerful front brake. With 160HP the 1098 is going to need stopping power to match its acceleration-thumbs up to the coolest superbike since the 916.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Is it wrong that I am having thoughts of selling my first born on the black market to buy the tri-colored 1098. I mean it is close to Christmas. Hope Santas not reading this. Oh and if you are go ahead and dump one in my stocking jolly old dude. Love ElPato
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
865 Posts
reading so many lukewarm reviews of other bikes, i'll gladly take this one, even with the "too good" brakes for the street. lol. having never liked the 999, i love this bike and wish i could justify one. i'll be lucky to get my Monster soon. oh well, that's what i get for having to act grown up. ;) i'm sure before long i'll find a good reason to own a 1098. ;D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
479 Posts
Hey Ducatissimo, I also had a 86' FZ 600 (2 actually) and a 88' NX 650. Do whatever you can to get that monster as all I could help thinking since getting mine this summer was "I wish I had this sooner" but that thought drifts away with a twist of the throttle and the roar of the Ferracci's. I never thought about owning "fairings" again until the 1098, what an incredible machine!
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top