Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
A story to share...

HAd my car servived at local yesterday and was saying how i was waiting for a set of new tyres to arrive before getting a pink slip for my bike.

Dave my new favourite car mechanic said simply to pop around today with my rego papers and mileage and he would fix me up. All good, saved a lot of mucking about in trying to get new tryes fitted and rego all in one lunchtime.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Bob Brown, owner of Melbourne Desmo Centre

www.bobbrownducati.com

This guy has been fixing Ducati only for 40 years (!).

He did a major service on my S4, which for the last 2 years had an erratic stalling issue and was a chronic lean runner, despite the authorised dealership where it went for every scheduled service promising they had "trimmed the ECU, replaced fuel filters, BS.... BS....

These issues had never been rectified, it continued to stall at will and the exhaust always popped on the overrun.

Bob has made the motor run so smoothly that at small throttle openings where the bike had always been really hard to ride (taking off, very slow corners, roundabouts, dense traffic, etc etc) it is now not much harder than the average jap 4. Absolutely exceptional. He did tune the ECU (and showed me what he did to prove it). I never realised it could run so smoothly - I had just put up with it as a "typical Ducati trait" thing.

Whatsmore he insisted passionately that I call him and give him my feedback after riding the bike for a bit - he was serious. There isn't much customer service like this left today.

He is in Melbourne, in the area of Kensigton, 300Mtrs from a train station so you can still get to town easily.

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
Great Stuff!!!

I spotted his shop when I was in that area with work and I've been meaning to go in for a chat. [thumbsup]
What was his servicing costs like?? Would have to be better than the "Authorized" Sherman Tankers ;).
Isnt he the bloke that used to run a Ducati Superbike team a few moons ago??? :-\

It would be good to have a few more options down here as the Genuine service leaves a bit to be desired. :mad:

Cheers

·
Registered
35 Posts
I can't remember how much I paid for the major service before Bob Brown did this one last Friday, maybe say this one was 10% or so cheaper.

My gripe with the well known, apparently reputable dealer who did it before was that I never had the impression they did anything more thn change oil, filter, plugs and cam belts when needed. One time they even gave me the bike back with the rear brake line routed on the inside of the swingarm so it was at risk of rubbing against the tyre.... Generally I felt like it was a production line, as many in and out as possible, no attention to detail, no personal care for something they after call "the ducati experience".

Bob took the time to listen to me when I rolled in, took a couple of line notes about the issues and when he gave me the bike back he spent time talking to me and answering more questions and generally was genuinely interested in me being satisfied. Sure he's gruff, but it's a pretty small thing to deal with when the service is so personalised. And the bike goes so well. And at 40 years experience, he's gotta know a thing or two.

·
Registered
476 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
i have an s4rs, 749s and paul smart...... I recently changed from frasers homebush to flywheels,,,,,Ron is a great guy and listen to what you say. I would highly recommend flywheels as they have serviced all my bikes with the professionalism a ducati dealer should have at half the price.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Another huge thumbs up for the guys at Gowanlochs in Belmore. To get my bike serviced it's a 6am departure, 350km round trip and a day off work. They charge a fraction of what I am quoted in Newcastle, and great service as well. Plus, I can come back on the old Pacific Hwy...

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
Well here is a result of crappy service, not maintaining standards and not playing the distributors game. We in Victoria now have one less Ducati dealer. Moto-One apparently has lost its Ducati Dealeship for the above mentioned reasons. :(
They kept losing all their good staff and the service was getting very crappy so I guess they only brought it upon themselves.
The big losers are not only the staff that care but the customers who have to now go to Ringwood or into almost the CBD. In some cases (like mine) its a 40-50K ride to town or about 30K to Ringwood. :'(
The moral I guess is as far as the shop owners are concerned "dont screw the pooch" look after your clients and they will beat a path to your door and make you a nice living. [thumbsup]

Gazza

·
Registered
112 Posts
[thumbsup] for the DML Store, Got my Ti Membership goodies and a couple of shirts inside a week. Terrific quality products & service. A BIG THANK YOU.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
alifecoach said:
[thumbsup] for the DML Store, Got my Ti Membership goodies and a couple of shirts inside a week. Terrific quality products & service. A BIG THANK YOU.
I tried to order a t shirt from work, clicked the link for DML store and it not let me through, saying "Illegal Drugs"!

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Super T.I.B said:
I tried to order a t shirt from work, clicked the link for DML store and it not let me through, saying "Illegal Drugs"!
Yeah, from what I hear a serious bling addiction ranks somewhere between injecting heroin and freebasing crystal meth...

;-)

big (and it also gives you better flashbacks than acid...)

·
Banned
550 Posts
I lived in Canada / USA in the mid 70s for 3 years so know where your coming from Big I....... :angel: Was the time of drugs, sex & rock and roll.... nor necessarily in that order.... From what I can't remember .... [cheeky]

The highlight of the mid 70s... A Cheech and Chong live performance....... I think I was there.... or was I???

Flashback Big T...

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hi there

When I was in Coffs Harbour recently someone here suggested I go see North Coast V Twins well I did and they were the nicest guys ever, they gave me stubby holders, stickers , showed me some nice bikes and looked after me really, nice guys [thumbsup] I bought a t shirt from them and sat on a 695 (as we have still not got a demonstrator here in TAS :mad:) I am impressed [clap] [clap]

They were genuinely interested, and bent over backwards to make my visit a good one ;D

Egas

41 - 60 of 88 Posts