Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My stock sprockets and chain are about at the end of their life-span so I'm thinking of going to the 14/39 setup that seems to be so popular.

Being new to the mod business, what should I consider a fair price for each sprocket?

Also, does anybody have any tips on good sources for low cost sprockets?

Please don't say eBay.. I want new merchandise for something like this...

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
I also went with the setup from Chris at ca-cycleworks. I went up 2 teeth on the rear while I was at it. Very worthwhile mod.

You can't go wrong with Afam quality for sprockets. I like the DID gold link chain, too. Don't scrimp on something that has the potential to ruin your crankcase, or cause you to crash, or both if it fails.

In fact, I've got the same setup on order from him right now for the F 650 I just picked up. Funny, but 2 teeth up on the rear is a very popular mod on that bike, too.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So Aluminum sprockets obviously save rotational weight... are they less durable than steel?

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Most people seem to report faster wear on aluminum, although you will find a few reporting they get good life out of aluminum sprockets.

The closer the rotational mass is to the axis of rotation, the less important the weight savings becomes. So lighter sprockets wouldn't be as important as lighter wheel rims.

If, as many feel, aluminum sprockets wear faster, the double negative is that the chain is "wearing in" as the sprocket wears. Then the chain will have developed wear patterns that will likely accelerate the wear of a new sprocket if the first aluminum one wears out before the chain has reached its service limit. So, to me the better choice is go with good quality steel sprockets and good chain. With good chain care, the whole package should last around 12-15K miles and be ready for replacement all at the same time again.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
My aluminum AFAM rear sprocket was still in reasonably good shape when the original chain wore out. I bought a new 14-tooth front from the dealer, an official Ducati part, and put the original 39-tooth sprocket back on with the new chain.

I happen to have those two sprockets and the chain, with about half of the usable life still available, if anybody wants a quick fix. They're available for about 1/4 of what a new chain and sprockets would cost (plus shipping).

See: http://www.testastretta.net/~srnelson/MonsterParts/Chain800.jpg

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I've also bee looking around and getting ready to pick up a new set of sprockets and a new chain.

The one thing that kinda bugs me is all the gold! I've been trying to get rid of the gold accents on my bike as I was to go with a black/silver and red look. This isn't really a big deal with the sprockets, as I'm sure I can find a silver or black set, but does DiD make a black or silver version of their ERV2 chain?

-dj

1 - 7 of 7 Posts