Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new here... Where's a good place to get gear near Boston? I need a new helmet, jacket, gloves, etc. Don't mind going to NH or wherever, if it's a good store. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Moto Market in Acton is undoubtedly the best place for quality gear and good information/service. Just don't expect any breaks on price.

If you're looking for deals, Brocton Cycle has a wide selection and good prices. But don't expect any informed service and you're on your own assessing quality. Much of their stuff is seriously lacking in that department!

Those are kind of the extremes. Lots of bike shops with some stuff, but I can't think of any but those two with any really wide selection.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
South Shore Motorsports in Quincy has a decent selection and it's not too far from Boston.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
For helmets I would suggest going to rte.28 in Brockton/West Bridgewater in @ a 5 mile stretch you have Dunbars/ Brockton Cycle/ Bettencourts between the 3 you can pretty much find every type of helmet. As far as quality riding gear Vanson Leathers factory/show room is in Fall River, kind of expensive, but you won't find better quality, and occasionally you can score something decent from their " bargain " racks. you could hit both places in one swing from boston @ 100-120 miles round trip.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Welcome Gorus!

The first question I would ask is 'Are you just new to the board or new to Ducati's or new to riding?' If you are new to riding then you probably won't be able to give a well thought out answer to the second question, 'What kind of riding do you do?' You probably can answer this though....'How much are you willing to spend?'

MotoMarket in Acton is numero uno if you are fairly new to riding and have lots of questions you may not even know you have! The folks there will take the time to talk to you and help you work through all the topics that will lead you to some conclusions about the questions above. If you decide that you will be riding a lot, (maybe even commuting), their selection of ballistic/all weather gear is the best in the area. You will pay for it but, in my experience, staying dry on a long ride is 'priceless'.

If it turns out that you are more casual about riding then the internet offers tons of choices and most of the sites have pretty good sizing guides. (The exception is the helmet...you gotta try that on and its not the place to skimp.)

The other suggestions in this thread are great too.

here are a couple of links to check out...

http://www.sporttour.com/index.htm
http://www.motorhelmets.com/
http://www.newenough.com/

Good luck....

Dave

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to everyone's suggestions!

Batmanmoto said:
The first question I would ask is 'Are you just new to the board or new to Ducati's or new to riding?'
Dave, my other post will answer your question: http://www.ducatimonster.org/smf/index.php?topic=63342.0

So, I think MotoMarket is a great place for me to start--I'll drop by there this weekend. Have to continue learning to ride in the meanwhile!

-G

·
Premium Member
2,248 Posts
If your planning to stop by Moto Market anyway, try to swing by on Sunday around 11:00. There will be a bunch of us meeting there for a group ride and you'll get to say hi and meet all us crazy bastards!
I'll be the easiest one to spot because I'll be the only one not on a Monster. ;D

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
My way is to figure out what I want, try it on in a local shop and get the gear on line if the local shop wont give at least 10% off. Just my rule of thumb...

·
Premium Member
2,248 Posts
Wild Bill said:
My way is to figure out what I want, try it on in a local shop and get the gear on line if the local shop wont give at least 10% off. Just my rule of thumb...
Moto Market? 10% off? [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

In case you can't tell, thats freakin' hilarious

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
Well in defense of MM, I bought a pair of Dainese leather pants for $100 off and were just my size. I know Pauld is not quick to make a deal. What is up with Rose :)

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Far as I know, MM won't give you a nickel off. I bought a full kit from Seacoast and they made some accomodation since I gave them all the business. asked MM the same question and got the Heisman.

But I still went back last year and bought a Dianese 2-pc at full retail. I got service and selection. You think they owe you 10%? Try running that kind of business and come back and tell us how much they're ripping us off. We're very fortunate to have a shop like MotoMarket and I'm pretty sure they'd go out of business in a pretty big hurry if they were more generous.

If you propose trying on gear for size and then ordering online, consider what you'll do when there's no locol shop at which to try on gear first. Sure New Enough has great return policies (and I've bought from them too) where they'll ship out the new size before getting back the return, but there's often no substitute for seeing and feeling the product.

It pretty much sucks to be in retail in the Internet age...

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
...BINGO....

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Monstermash said:
If your planning to stop by Moto Market anyway, try to swing by on Sunday around 11:00. There will be a bunch of us meeting there for a group ride and you'll get to say hi and meet all us crazy bastards!
I'll be the easiest one to spot because I'll be the only one not on a Monster. ;D
Shoot, I'd love to, but I already planned another parking lot session on my friend's ninja at 10:00am in Weymouth. Gotta earn the stripes before getting a Monster ;) I'll definitely try to catch you guys another time.

·
Premium Member
2,248 Posts
CRASH! said:
Far as I know, MM won't give you a nickel off. I bought a full kit from Seacoast and they made some accomodation since I gave them all the business. asked MM the same question and got the Heisman.

But I still went back last year and bought a Dianese 2-pc at full retail. I got service and selection. You think they owe you 10%? Try running that kind of business and come back and tell us how much they're ripping us off. We're very fortunate to have a shop like MotoMarket and I'm pretty sure they'd go out of business in a pretty big hurry if they were more generous.

It pretty much sucks to be in retail in the Internet age...
I have bought a few things from MM as well. I don't think they're ripping us off, nor do I think they owe us a discount. But I have to disagree about them going out of business in a hurry if they were more generous though.
I have managed a few retail stores and it is good business practice to give a small discount to customers.
There are a few reasons for this.

1. It makes the customer feel like they're special if you say something to them like: "retail on this jacket is $500 but your price is $450." It's only 10% but...

2. It makes you competitive in the market. Everyone, and I mean everyone is discounting product these days. It doesn't matter if your a brick and mortar store or internet based you have to give some kind of discount to keep up. I have thousands of dollars in gear and almost all of which was purchased somewhere other than MM. If they offered a small discount I would have purchased most of it there because of the service.

3. Discounts help keep product fresh. They sell quicker and it's less likely that you'll have leftover product from last year, or worse, two to three years ago which is very difficult to sell without a huge discount. There's nothing worse than having the same stuff in the store every time a customer comes in.

4. It keeps the business in YOUR store. If you have good service like MM does, it makes you feel even better that you spent your money there as opposed to the internet.

Everyone knows that if they're out shopping and find a store that doesn't give a small discount they can find it somewhere else cheaper, especially the net.

I remember one of the first times I ever went into MM. It was long before I owned my Monster or went out there to hang out with you guys. I was looking for a new Arai helmet. I looked around and found a few that I liked and asked about pricing. I was told that they didn't discount anything. I asked why other stores were willing to discount Arai and they weren't and was told that the "other" stores were selling leftover and discontinued models.
Well knowing what I know about Arai, I promptly checked out the chin strap to see when the helmet was made to find out it was 3 years old! Three years! That sounds like distressed merchandise to me, no?
If your going to make a comment like that, make sure you not selling the same products your knocking.

Please don't get the wrong idea. I like MM. And I like the selection of products they have and the service they provide. That being said I only bought one thing there this whole year. That was a pair of Moto GP gloves. I only bought them there because Alan started entering my info into the computer and I didn't want to be a jerk. I wanted the gloves to match my Moto Gp jacket I had just purchased. I was going to buy it at MM but got it on the net for $150 less. And I was planning to buy the Moto Gp Kangaroo 1 piece suit from them @ $900 until I found it at Wagner for $725. If your keeping track, thats a difference of $325 on two items. Not a small sum.
If they had discounted those items I wouldn't have looked elsewhere and I would have bought them both there.
Cost on the Moto Gp Kangaroo suit is $625. So Wagner made $100 to make a phone call and hand it to me over the counter when it came in. MM could make so much more money if they just offered a small discount. I know I would rather sell 10 of something and make $1000 than sell 1 and make $275, or worse sell none and make zero. Yeah it's more work to sell 10 but if the customer is happy and keeps coming back for all of his/her gear they make more in the long run.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
I've only been to MM once, That was for Anil's ride. It's not very close to me. The store is great. Selection and service of all the gear is top notch. I know I live in the sticks, but is there something special about the water there that makes it cost like $4 for a 16 oz bottle?

·
Premium Member
2,248 Posts
ducpainter said:
I've only been to MM once, That was for Anil's ride. It's not very close to me. The store is great. Selection and service of all the gear is top notch. I know I live in the sticks, but is there something special about the water there that makes it cost like $4 for a 16 oz bottle?
No Nate, there is nothing special about it. And it has nothing to do with the fact that you live in the middle of nowhere. ;D

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Monstermash said:
No Nate, there is nothing special about it. And it has nothing to do with the fact that you live in the middle of nowhere. ;D
So a bumpkin like me would just conclude they're, how should I put it, overpriced? [cheeky]

·
Premium Member
2,248 Posts
For food and drink they are defiantly overpriced. Large coffee is $3.50 I think. Worse than Starbucks. You know how Starbucks got it's name right? Because only rich people like stars and celebrities can afford to go there.

The gear is all at full retail. On occasion they have something on clearance but it's usually several years old.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
For the record, I agree that a store with inventory where you can walk in with money and walk out with product that day deserves a premium for the cost of doing biz that way. The bottle of water pissed me off.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts