Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend is trying to embrace my obsession with motorcycles, and with Ducati's in particular. Recently, she announced that she wants her own bike. She is about 5' 7" and is slim but probably weighs around 125 (she won't give me the exact number). COuld she handle a M695? She's extremely athletic, and is already a hard-core mountain-bike rider, so she's not of the feint of heart. I just don't want her overwhelmed or to be afraid of the bike.

Do I have to downgrade to something small like a Honda Rebel 250 or something of that ilk. I'd really rather not dilute my garage with non-Ducati motorcycles. Also, I want her to be able to keep up with me on rides ;)

ADvice?

DFH

·
Premium Member
2,326 Posts
I suggest that she:

1-check out the women's forum here on DML:Monster Women as well as other women's sportbike forums (ex.Cycle Angels )
2-take the MSF course
4-get a used M620

and in short time you may be asking if you can keep up with her [thumbsup]

edit: number 3 get gear! I see you like to ride without a helmet, if she's a hard-core mtn. biker she may be more into gear and being prepared.

My M620 was/is my first bike and your girlfriend has 7 inches on me. I think a Honda Rebel or similar will bore her in 2 weeks, with the mtn. bike experience you claim she has.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Industrial_Grrrl said:
I suggest that she:

-check out the women's forum here on DML as well as other women's sportbike forums
-take the MSF course
-get a used M620

and in short time you may be asking if you can keep up with her [thumbsup]
+1 Have fun with the gf! [thumbsup]

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Search around, there's a lot monster as a 1st bike topics around. But as was noted you or your gal may want to field some questions to the womens section, since most of the previous 'monster as a 1st bike' posts are guys, and genearlly won't address your questions about the size of the bike vs her size.

FWW, I started on a (used) 620 and never had an issue. Knocked out 4000miles in 3 months with nary a problem. So, at least for me, I felt a 620 was a fine 1st bike, though I'm a good bit bigger than your gal.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'd say, for a smaller beginner, get something with a more generous steering lock than a monster. Bikes like the Honda Rebel, Suzuki Savage 650 single, Suzuki GZ250, or a Yamaha Virago 250 build confidence and also handle nicely at slow speeds. Give her a season on one of those and don't worry about her keeping up wirh you - you should go at her comfortable pace when you ride together.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
devin911 said:
Also, I want her to be able to keep up with me on rides ;)

ADvice?

DFH
Since you asked for the advice... point her to the DML and let her get her own advice as to Ducati for a first bike. And stop thinking in the patronistic "safe femal bike" mentality. My wife is three inches shorter than me but has a three inch longer inseam... no need for a shorter bike other than making it a little easier for the new-biker low speed quick foot down. That's a "new rider" issue, not a girl issue. Yes, upper body strength may play a part when trying to not let the bike tip over at that stop sign, but give a season of riding and that will be gone anyway.

Given your other post of lurching across the parking lot I'm sure no matter what she gets she'll keep up just fine.

Not trying to be an ass (it's effortless anyway, no trying needed).... just throwing in my two cents on making a smoother transition into a two-bike house.

Chris

·
Premium Member
4,036 Posts
Johnny OrganDonor said:
don't worry about her keeping up wirh you - you should go at her comfortable pace when you ride together.
+11ty billion Let her control the pace, or keep it well within newbie skill level. MSF should be the first thing she does anyway, she'll get to ride the starter bikes and decide what she is comfortable with. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
141 Posts
+1 on the MSF course.
and definitely show her the women's section of the DML...we have some pretty hardcore ladies around here & I'm sure they can point her in the right direction.
As far as what bike to ride, give her yours and now you have a great excuse to upgrade.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
A Monster, especially at her height, is a great first bike. A good majority of the women on here started with one as their first bike (including myself). Seems the only issues were with the stock ride height for some of the shorter statured ladies. Even that can be addressed with a lowering kit.

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
+652.8 on the MSF course. This is interesting and was unintended:

My girlfriend wants to be interested in my hobby. So I suggest take the class and see if she likes being the one who is in control or if she just prefers riding (I have a female friend who has no desire to "drive" only to "ride".)

My dad overheard. He suggests to my mom the same thing.

They are taking the class together when the weather gets warm. (dammit, just what i need, childhood stories to come out...)

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
An ex called me at work to ask if she could take out my NX650, I had no problem other than her being 5'6". She needed to have the kickstand down to climb on the bike and barely tippy toed while on it. So she takes it for a rip and while in the middle of a downhill intersection, drops it . Hearing the story it made my heart beat quicken as this was a rural road w/ a blind rise on one side and a blind curve on the other, speed limit 40mph. So she walks around the bike, lifts it up (I had instructed her how to), puts the kickstand down, climbs on, fires it up and rides away. Moral of the story: Best first bike for a woman=the one she wants to ride. I would suggest a 620 w/ a slipper for a first/only/last bike to anyone as I have had a few "tense" moments downshifting too aggressively.+1 on the DML as a resource and the MSF.
P.S. Do not get a Rebel 250 unless you think of it as a scooter, those bikes are dangerously underpowered :eek:

·
Registered
47 Posts
a female beginner is no different than any other beginner. (except maybe the need for a lower to the ground bike than many of the "crotch rocket" types). The only downside to a Ducati as a first bike is that when it gets dropped it hurts (not phyiscal pain) a lot more than a cheap japanese bike.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
my sister... who is about 5'5 and now weighs about 115 has an SV650. When she was younger she used to take my 750 Virago for a boot every now and then....she weighed even less back then.

I think as long as your girlfriend is serious about it, ask her to take an MSF course and tehn get on a few different bikes and see which one she likes.

I know that my sister also sat on a 620??? I think it was and commented how good it felt for her size.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
LP said:
\I would suggest a 620 w/ a slipper for a first/only/last bike to anyone as I have had a few "tense" moments downshifting too aggressively.
The 620, 695, and s2r 800 all have the APTC clutch - providing slipper ability.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
The right bike for a newbie, aside from being light and less powerful, is a bike that you will have no problem watching slide down the road on its side. Don't get any bike that you're going to worry about cosmetics. It will go down, probably more than once. I think too many people try to make their first bike something they can not only learn on but then also ride for years as their abilities improve. You're better off buying a cheap throwaway first bike to learn the basics on and then ditch it for something better when she's really comfortable and capable on a motorcycle.

Just my $.02.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
LP said:
Best first bike for a woman=the one she wants to ride.
+1

Personally, I'd gently _suggest_ to her she get a cheaper-to-fix beater for learning on, but a Monster she's keen to ride is going to teach her to be a safe rider _way_ faster than a Ninja 250 she's ashamed to be seen in public on...

P.S. Do not get a Rebel 250 unless you think of it as a scooter, those bikes are dangerously underpowered :eek:
Heh - ask around on the Hooligans Downunder (or the DucatiMOB or CAM local boards) about how much fun can be had on a borrowed 250cc Honda!

big

·
Registered
294 Posts
bigiain said:
Heh - ask around on the Hooligans Downunder (or the DucatiMOB or CAM local boards) about how much fun can be had on a borrowed 250cc Honda!
+1 I bought my wife a Ninja 250 for her first bike. That little bike is a blast to ride. I didn't get her a 250 because she is a woman, or because she is not that tall or weak or any of those reasons that people keep bringing up (not referring to anyone here, just statements that I hear from people in general). Heck, I would have loved to get her something bigger, but she wanted the 250 because she felt comfortable with it and wasn't scared or hesitant when riding it. IMO, it comes down to what she feels comfortable riding. If she feels comfortable with a monster as a first bike, she couldn't pick a better bike to begin with.

Good Luck.

Ryan

EDIT: +1 on the MSF course as well!

·
Registered
977 Posts
Also, I want her to be able to keep up with me on rides Wink
An innocent enough statement, but this is the wrong attitude. If you want this to work you will need to go at her pace not yours. Let her be in front with you guarding her rear. Let her pick out her own damn bike too!

+1 on getting the gear and class.

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
If she's a hard core mountain biker, as you say, she's not going to want anything less than a 695, for sure. Especially if she's into gravity sports and/or bores easily. Can you keep up with her on a mountain bike?

<soapbox> Nobody should ever go out without a helmet. There's too many cool ones out there not to. </soapbox>

1 - 20 of 27 Posts