Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know a good Ducati Mechanic in NY or CT that will change cam belts and adjust valves for a reasonable price?

I was going to bring my S4RS to the dealer for the 12k service however I was laid-off last month and would rather not spend $1000 at this time. I can maintain everything else on the bike; however, don't have the laser tool (tension adjustment) for the testastretta motor or the know how to adjust the valves.

·
Registered
3 Posts
European Cycle Services in Middletown, NY

http://www.europeancycleservices.com/index.asp

They did work for me last year on my 900ss. Very helpful smart guys. No BS just quality work. Steve worked at Cliff's BMW Ducati and Rockwell Cycles and Jay came from BCM Ducati. Its always fun to go see them - small shop lots of tricked-out european bikes and they will let you watch them work on your bike (but if you want to save $ I would try not to ask many questions so the can work faster)

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
http://www.europeancycleservices.com/index.asp

They did work for me last year on my 900ss. Very helpful smart guys. No BS just quality work. Steve worked at Cliff's BMW Ducati and Rockwell Cycles and Jay came from BCM Ducati. Its always fun to go see them - small shop lots of tricked-out european bikes and they will let you watch them work on your bike (but if you want to save $ I would try not to ask many questions so the can work faster)
Perfect, exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the contact, I'll give them a call.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Glad to help! Its about a 1hr 15min drive for me from Westport, CT - very manageable.

I see that you also have a 996. I'm thinking of picking up a 998 or 4v monster for my next bike. How would you compare your two bikes? Have you had any problems?

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Glad to help! Its about a 1hr 15min drive for me from Westport, CT - very manageable.

I see that you also have a 996. I'm thinking of picking up a 998 or 4v monster for my next bike. How would you compare your two bikes? Have you had any problems?
I'm not too far from you, I'm in Redding, CT. I'm hoping I can take an early ride over before they open when the weather gets a little nicer, have them service the bike while I wait and then ride home. We'll see.

The 996 is my third Ducati of 6 I've owned since 1995. In order of ownership they are:
1995 - 916
1995 - 900ss
1999 - 996
2004 - ST4S
2006 - 749S
2007 - S4RS

Now I'll try and answer your question after going off on a tangent!

I would have to say they are inherently very different bikes. Both with their advantages and disadvantages. I probably don't have to tell you that the S4 is much more comfortable to ride and allows a more relaxed riding style, despite the fact that I have a corbin seat, Heli bars, gel grips, high windscreen and Cyclecat rearsets on the 996. When I feel 100% on my game physically, I like to take the 996 out for a back road blast on a weekend for about 100 miles. That only happens about 2 times each season now that I have the S4. Although the S4 has a claimed HP of 130 and the 996 has about 117, the 996 feels like it wants to pull my arms off when I really "get on it". The S4 power seems to come on a bit more conservatively, not that it is a slouch.

One huge advantage I give to the 996 is it's solid as a rock stability in twisties and the open highway. No matter how much adjustment I make in the suspension and the height of the fork tubes on the S4, it still tends to get twitchy in bumpy twisties and windy highway rides. I've learned to accept that characteristic in the S4 and can live with it. The 996 always feels like it is on rails, where as the S4 gives me the feeling that the bars can move at any sign of wind or irregularity in the road despite the addition of the Ohlins steering stabilizer (which does help).

I have to say if you are in decent physical shape and you setup the superbike the way I did, you can ride it long distance. For a couple of years it was my only bike and I would take it on extended weekend trips using Ventura luggage.

All said and done, it's nice to have both bikes but as an everyday motorcycle, the S4RS is my ride of choice. Proof in point is the 99 996 has 5500 miles and the 07 S4RS has 10,000 miles.

Attached is a pic of my 996 and the ST4s. I hope I answered your question.

Rob

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the thoughtful response! I tend to go for Sunday 100-200mi blasts in Litchfield or Dutches County. The 996/998 with Heli bars sounds like the "correct tool for the job". I test rode the 848 and loved it (Fast, wonderful handling, and exotic without being intimidating), but I don't want to spend the $.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
my other half and i both bring our bikes out there, and we're in south central CT. i try not to bring it anywhere else. i'd highly recommend them, very standup type of people.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my other half and i both bring our bikes out there, and we're in south central CT. i try not to bring it anywhere else. i'd highly recommend them, very standup type of people.
Good to hear, sorry for the late response, I just read your post today.
I'm actually putting the bike on the trailer this Friday and heading over to the shop. They're going to service the bike while I wait and I'll trailer it home the same day.

Steve sounds like a nice guy.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had my bike serviced at European Cycle Services today. Everything you said about them is true. Very knowledgeable and accommodating guys. They answer all your questions, take great care when servicing your bike and very reasonably priced.

Steve completely set-up my suspension and didn't charge me for it (I don't know if I should be saying that, LOL). Sean who is one of Steve's technicians, was a pleasure to deal with as well and really seems to know his stuff.

Rob, a friend of Steve and a BMW master mechanic, will be joining the shop in the near future to handle the BMW side. Rob picked me and the bike up 7:30am in Redding CT and drove to the shop in Middletown, NY (about 68 miles one way). He than drove me and the bike home at 5pm.

These guys are a diamond in the rough, I would recommend them to anyone in the tri-state area and it might be worth it to travel even further to use them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts