Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched...could get what I was looking for.

It has been awhile since I have changed the front sprocket on a bike. As I recall, I might have done this after I had the bike awhile and wanted ( needed) a new chain so I replaced everything.

Anyhow, if changing a front sprocket to 14 teeth, on a bike with 300 miles, I should not have to modify the chain...correct? Meaning I should not have to remove a link. Should just bolt on and readjust for slack, which I assume is not much of a change.

Anyone recall how much they paid for the Ducati performance one?
Jim

·
Registered
197 Posts
i paid somewhere around $50-60 for a 14T on the 696. no need to modify the chain.

makes a huge difference to rideability.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Does anybody here think it's better to replace the rear sprocket with a bigger one rather than the front one with a smaller one?

·
Registered
197 Posts
yes. i've gone up to a 42T in the rear on the 1100. less stress on the engine (lightweight rear sprocket).

i also did a 14T on the 696, and i much prefer going up in the rear, although there is a big price difference.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Cool, I think I'm going to go up on the rear sprocket on my 695 just because I would like to reduce any wear on the engine if I can.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does anybody here think it's better to replace the rear sprocket with a bigger one rather than the front one with a smaller one?
I agree with the above post about this. However, changing a brand new chain on a brand new bike is not something I want to do right now.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah, so changing the rear sprocket does require a new, longer chain as well? Much appreciated information.
Yes it does. You cannot add a link either since our chains do not have a master link. The chain must be replaced. Add that to the cost of a rear sprocket. I think that alone is worth the " possible wear" on the engine. I say that because I have never seen proof of this, but it does make sense in theory. If proof exists, I would love to see it.

Jim

·
Registered
35 Posts
Interesting, I'll keep that in mind. I had planned on just changing the front sprocket initially, but since I love my bike and would never want to do anything bad to it, I would pay the extra $$$ to get it done right. That being said, almost everyone's bikes I've read about on this forum opted for the 14T instead of doing the rear.
Options, options...I love consuming my day thinking about this stuff.

·
Registered
197 Posts
the reason why you see so many posts on the 14T front is because it is so much cheaper to perform this mod. simple economics.

not sure how long my lightweight rear sprocket will last as opposed to the original steel item, but i'll post when i need to replace my current set up. if i get 15,000 miles, i'll change to a 520 set up but keeping ratios and chain choice the same as present.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its also a mod that most beginners can do on their own. I suggest everyone try it. It teaches you how to take off the rear wheel, get your hands dirty, and save the dealer from making too much money!!

Jim

·
Registered
197 Posts
the term beginner is relative. for those no mechanical experience, replacing a chain is not something i would regard as easy. i'm all for people getting their hands dirty, but rear wheel alignment is critical.

also, it's a lot less stressful practicing getting your hands dirty on a bike that isn't new and parts don't cost a fortune if you mess anything up. i wouldn't try to learn advanced basic maintenance on a new ducati.

also, having a good relationship with your dealer will ultimately reduce your repair bills. for those without extended warranties and having the 2-year factory warranty, having all maintenance work done by your dealer will pay dividends should you encounter a serious issue(s) with the bike and have to deal with ducati (been there).

i personally want my dealer to make money. they have been there for me every single time i've had a problem. finding a good one that fits is the trick.

learning can also be very expensive...

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the term beginner is relative. for those no mechanical experience, replacing a chain is not something i would regard as easy. i'm all for people getting their hands dirty, but rear wheel alignment is critical.

also, it's a lot less stressful practicing getting your hands dirty on a bike that isn't new and parts don't cost a fortune if you mess anything up. i wouldn't try to learn advanced basic maintenance on a new ducati.

also, having a good relationship with your dealer will ultimately reduce your repair bills. for those without extended warranties and having the 2-year factory warranty, having all maintenance work done by your dealer will pay dividends should you encounter a serious issue(s) with the bike and have to deal with ducati (been there).

i personally want my dealer to make money. they have been there for me every single time i've had a problem. finding a good one that fits is the trick.

learning can also be very expensive...
Ok! Good points. I guess I was trying to convey that this is not overly complicated. I cringe when I hear when people take their bikes in for " simple" things. But that is relative. I happen to have a lot of experience working on cars and bikes. I will keep that in mind when I label something as "simple" or " beginner"

·
Registered
197 Posts
working on your bike is massively rewarding. once you've done even your own oil & filter change for the first time you feel totally different towards the bike and your own abilities.

i think the biggest drawback is that modern bikes that have ECU's and need plugging into diagnostics machines make maintenance a real issue. removing the tank and accessing the battery on a new monster is absurdly complicated.

i have some gerbing heated clothing on order and am contemplating just how long it will take to install something as simple as the battery harness...

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm just very curious as to the logic in changing the front sprocket. I know it will improve the low end power, but why would Ducati put the 15T as stock in the first place? Emissions? Noise? In any case, one could keep the old 15T and change it back if it wasn't desirable, but I'm curious as to why the gearing would need to be changed in the first place.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Because of noise.

Under state law, motorcycles cannot exceed 82 decibels when the speed limit is 45 miles per hour or less and 86 decibels at higher speeds. By altering the final ratio, the noise is lower in 6th gear at 45mph.

In actuality, it benefits the stock pipe sound. First thing I noticed with the new bike is that the pipes sounded pretty good...considering they were stock.

Jim

·
Registered
35 Posts
I figured there was an underlying legal rationale. I want to put the Termi kit on, so that new front sprocket should be double good with the nice exhaust. I can't understand how some of the cruisers I hear running around could be "legal" in that sense of noise law...they are LOUD!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just to clarify, that is the EPA rule for new bikes. Once the consumer gets their hands on them, I doubt it is that much of an issue. Local law officials can make a case for loud exhaust. I honestly can say I never met anyone who got a ticket for loud pipes. Anyone?
jim

·
Registered
35 Posts
I saw a post by someone on this forum that got a ticket for that. I guess if you just really make a certain law officer really mad for some reason you might have a problem. Otherwise it's just bothering the neighbors. Honestly, knowing that the Termi kit made his monster THAT LOUD just made me want the kit even more. I hate how quiet and wussy it sounds with the stock cans.

·
Registered
197 Posts
anyone considering or have done a 520 conversion with a 15T front along with a 43T rear?

i have a drilled 15T front and 42T lightweight rear sprocket and love the difference, but am interested in reducing rotating mass and increasing roll-on acceleration. not interested in top speed figures, but overall drive through the gears.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts