Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm browsing the local shop, drooling on the 999's and such. I left my helmet hanging on the handlebar of a KTM (You know, those REALLY tall MX bikes ;) ). Stupid.
THUNK -BOUNCE BOUNCE, SLIDE, ROLL. Duh... ::)
So everyone ooohs and aaahs and looks over my way. "You know what that means!" says the owner of the shop.
20 minutes later, standing in line at the local sub shop I start talking to Kathryn about the helmet episode (we were riding together that day). I noticed a dime-sized paint chip months ago (I thought came from our move from CA), nothing new from this new fall-but while we're talking about the prospect of buying a new helmet, she turns to me, big eyes fluttering, and tells me she dropped my helmet down the concrete stairs in CA 2 years ago and that's where the paint chip came from.
DOH! "2 years without telling me?!" I say.
"I was waiting for you to drop it again so you'd replace it without having to know I dropped it" :-*
So:
1. It's time, right?
2. What's the best helmet I can find for $250-350?
3. Should I punish Kathryn?
T.

·
Registered
339 Posts
1. wow -- yes. I wouldn't ride with that helmet at all.
2. Shoei rf-1000 ($250 at helmet harbor)
3. I'd save this up -- if you're like me you'll do something stupid soon and need the cards to play then...

btw, she didn't take out a big insurance policy on your right after that did she?

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
to answer your question....

1. YES
2. Gunwind (price dropped b/c the Spec1R is out now)
3. YES... get out that leather whip, the chains, ummm - nevermind... maybe withold the shopping money for a while.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
1. Time for a new helmet.
2. Shoei RF-1000
3. Save it for next time you do something stupid.

·
Registered
248 Posts
1. Yes.
2. Shoei RF-1000
3. Yes. Smack the biatch and tell her it is coming out of her shopping budget.
Dont know where u come from.. but.. its not very respectful to refer our fellow lister's loved one as "Biatch" around where i come from ;).

G

·
Dont know where u come from.. but.. its not very respectful to refer our fellow lister's loved one as "Biatch" around where i come from ;).
some women like for you to call 'em a biatch as you give 'em a little smack... ;D

Make sure you check ebay.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Buyer beware, I heard of a guy who bought a suppossedly new helmet from an online store in 2002, and here it was an "old" new helmet, snell rating 1995!!!! Brand was Arai

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd have to agree with that.

My Shoei RF800 seemed to do the job pretty well (even after multiple falls ::) ). I'll look in to the 1000. Lots of votes on that one. Kathryn has an HJC and it seems cheap in comparison to the Shoei and the Arais I looked at. Will the visor from anRF800 fit the RF1000?
Still no decision on what I'll do with Kathryn. I will undoubtedly do something stupid soon...I'm saving that card ;D

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Tarik,

You might want to seriously consider the HJC. I have the CL-14 and have been very impressed with it. You've seen my wife's Shoei RF-1000 so you know it looks a lot like your 800.

I have to say that comfort wise I think my HJC rivals the RF-1000. At least I could not tell any difference in fit after an hour or so of wearing each helmet. Neither one felt uncomfortable.

The one place you may see a difference is in turbulence. The RF-1000 has that wing on the back that is said to reduce head shaking. On the interstate it does seem to work better than the HJC. It's also a lighter helmet.

It depends on your riding. The HJC is about half the cost of the Shoei and has the same level of protection. It might make more sense for you.

G

·
KBC "racer1" from helmetharbor.com
killer price, pretty darn light, fits like my previous shoei. GOOD venting (so kinda noisey as a result).

·
Registered
455 Posts
...Will the visor from anRF800 fit the RF1000?...
No. The RF-1000 uses the CX-1V shield (as does the X-11), whereas the RF-800 uses the CX-1 shield. The difference is slightly more peripheral vision with the RF-1000 and X-11.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Will the visor from an RF800 fit the RF1000?
I had to buy a new tinted visor for the RF-1000 and could not use the new tinted one I had recently bought for the RF-800 that now sits in my closet.

Note also that the padding above the eyes comes down more on the RF-1000 so that it pushes my glasses down slightly, which never happened with the RF-700 or RF-800. In every other way, the RF-1000 is clearly a superior helmet. Better ventilation, blocks the noise better, more aerodynamic.

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would have to agree with those comments. I tried Arais, HJC, RF-1000 and a few others last night (including super cheapo's, called Icon, or Ion...can't remember, and another one called m2p or something like that-super cheap and heavy). Hands down, the Arai feels like it "covers" your head better. Feels like it would do an excellent job in an impact. The HJC CL-14 felt very minimal in it's protection. Very skimpy on padding and didn't make contact with your whole head. It felt somewhat lacking and cheap. The RF-1000 was somewhere in between, plus, it's very light.
Considering the Arai runs for about $380, the Shoei for $280 and the HJC for $120...I'll probably go Shoei again.
I'm also considering sending my helmet back to Shoei to have it X-Rayed. Maybe it's still ok. Any ideas on how this process works/where do I start?
Tarik

·
Registered
339 Posts
haven't done it myself, but had a friend do it. he sent it back with a letter explaining what happened (drop down a couple steps onto a garage floor). they said no chance its 100%- I don't think they even did any testing on it. Helmets are sacrifical, I wouldn't risk it when $250 buys you better protection even if the old helmet was 100%...

just my $.02,
mike

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
I would have to agree with those comments. I tried Arais, HJC, RF-1000 and a few others last night (including super cheapo's, called Icon, or Ion...can't remember, and another one called m2p or something like that-super cheap and heavy).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts